Nottingham Forest (3) 1-1 (4) Newcastle United [LC2] (28/08/24)

BlueStar

Thought we were great in spells and poor in spells again. Similar to the weekend but a bit better. Really need a centre back of quality this week to give us a boost

Such a strange game. Just kept thinking, what happened to 'intensity is our identity'?

Lovely scenes at the end mind, especially considering it's 'only' the second round of the cup. Nice to see even at this stage it matters to the team, and the fans love it.

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

You could choose 5 random stats from today's game and not come up with 5 as bad as that. 

They've been cherry picked for a very specific reason. They want Newcastle fans to rage in the comments. Don't fall for it 

You shouldn't have polluted our forums with that shit tbh. Even if it was well intended.

Two wins and a draw from three games, two away from home, and we've yet to put together more than 20 minutes of good play. I *think* that bodes very well for us but shit it's hard to watch in the meantime.

4 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

One obvious positive is that we haven’t lost despite being really shit at times. We struggled even getting a point when we played shit last season.

Kind of what I was trying to say during the match thread but you put it better. We can't play much worse and we still haven't lost, clinging to that :lol:

3 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

You could choose 5 random stats from today's game and not come up with 5 as bad as that. 

They've been cherry picked for a very specific reason. They want Newcastle fans to rage in the comments. Don't fall for it 

Wonder what constitutes a tackle. Swear I saw him win the ball that was in control of an opposing player a couple of times.

Eddie needs to iron out some bits, and figure out our starting lineup.

Big plus tonight was Barnes, who I thought played well on both sides.

Really liked how well he was linking with Tino down the right.

Actually thought he looked better on the right than Gordon did. 

There has been a bit of a trend these last few games:

First 20 = good
Middle 30 = bad
Last 20 = good

Don't know if its by designed and we're trying to manage games, and it's just haven't got that skill yet but it's noticeable.

Just now, KaKa said:

Eddie needs to iron out some bits, and figure out our starting lineup.

Big plus tonight was Barnes, who I thought played well on both sides.

Really liked how well he was linking with Tino down the right.

Actually thought he looked better on the right than Gordon did

He did. Good that we've got options if the 11 stay the same after Friday.

Not the greatest performance again, but I'm not judging our season until we get all our first choice players on the field together.

Not that that's likely, obviously.

Well we've been dog shit for large portions of 3 games so far, but got 4 points out of 6 and through to next round in cup. 

Loads to improve on though, a few of the lads look miles off it.

Onwards and upwards.

HWTL.

Was thinking about it during the pen shootout and the more I thought about how we'd played, the body language and some of the reactions afterwards... I think there a few players feeling unsettled, maybe a bit despondent and I wonder whether it's down to things like Eddie being linked with England, Gordon being linked to Liverpool, Isak linked to Arsenal, Bruno linked to City and rumours of Tripps wanting out. I'd like to think they're all professional enough, but something just seems a bit 'off' and I can't put my finger on it. The togetherness, the drive to fight for each other in every move, it seems to be missing or at least less intense. Hope I'm wrong.

On the upside, Tonali looked ace!

7 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

One obvious positive is that we haven’t lost despite being really shit at times. We struggled even getting a point when we played shit last season.

Agreed. Just need to grind out results right now till we work out some kinks.