Newcastle United Vs. AFC Wimbledon [LCR3] (01/10/24) Live on SkySports+ (Chelsea (h) if we progress)

This has been caused by UEFA really from what I can see

Not sure why, Matchday 1 for CL and Europa League takes place a week apart

Matchday 2 and onwards reverts back to normal, with CL on Tue/Wed and Europa League on Thursday, which is why moving forward it's not an issue

Even though it's shite and I was not happy with it (still feels wrong), looking into it more I understand the solution the EFL came up with

There really isn't anywhere to squeeze the games in if a CL side got drawn against a Europa League side

Thpugh unless I'm missing something what I don't understand is why they didn't draw the Carabao Cup in a way where they just kept the CL and Europa League sides apart? I understand why Liverpool drawing Spurs would be a problem but Liverpool drawing City wouldn't be an issue

Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

This has been caused by UEFA really from what I can see

Not sure why, Matchday 1 for CL and Europa League takes place a week apart

Matchday 2 and onwards reverts back to normal, with CL on Tue/Wed and Europa League on Thursday, which is why moving forward it's not an issue

Even though it's shite and I was not happy with it (still feels wrong), looking into it more I understand the solution the EFL came up with

There really isn't anywhere to squeeze the games in if a CL side got drawn against a Europa League side

Thpugh unless I'm missing something what I don't understand is why they didn't draw the Carabao Cup in a way where they just kept the CL and Europa League sides apart? I understand why Liverpool drawing Spurs would be a problem but Liverpool drawing City wouldn't be an issue

Aye it has to an extent, ultimately the solution they came up with was one which benefits those clubs the most though. I think at this point the competition needs totally re thinking. 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Aye it has to an extent, ultimately the solution they came up with was one which benefits those clubs the most though. I think at this point the competition needs totally re thinking. 

I’m still shocked about the whole thing and believe the integrity of the entire competition is questionable right now 

Basically gaming, any opportunity, for the cartel. 

All they had to do was run the draw as normal. 

When a CL team gets picked (home) AND a EC gets picked (away) you put the latter back in. Visa versa, obvs. 

You could have a side 50/50 in that scenario to hoy back in either the home team or away. 

5 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

When a CL team gets picked (home) AND a EC gets picked (away) you put the latter back in. Visa versa, obvs. 

You could have a side 50/50 in that scenario to hoy back in either the home team or away. 

It’s so grim how they pander and simp to their overlords.

10 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Sods law dictates that if they did this they'd end up in a scenario with the last 2 balls (or 5 of the last 6) being European teams and they've then got to scrap it and redo the whole thing.

Whole thing is shambolic mind and not helped by the revamped CL this year where teams play 8 group games instead of 6.

Them giving European teams a bye from the second round to decrease their workload overall will backfire on us this weekend as well when we play European-qualified Spurs who will have had the full week off to prepare (at a time they don't really need it) after we've had a cup game midweek.

I'm not sure what the solution is but it seems a bit off.

9 hours ago, huss9 said:

fuck me.

honestly felt more nervous and sick during that cup draw than the actual pelanty shoot out.

Said to my old man that we'd pull a PL side away from home. I ended up being half right!

When and why did the Football League bring the final forward to end of February? Sure it used to be end of April in the 90s. Go back to that then you can spread out ties more, and the European teams don't need special treatment. 

Who makes the decisions on the rigging/runs it? Aside from the obvious answer of the cartel themselves. Like is it the football league and Rick parry etc making these stupid decisions?

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

When and why did the Football League bring the final forward to end of February? Sure it used to be end of April in the 90s. Go back to that then you can spread out ties more, and the European teams don't need special treatment. 

It changed from late March/early April to the end of February in 2000, and guess what else came in that season? 

The expanded Champions League with the second group stage, with midweek fixtures all throughout March and then straight into knockouts every midweek. The season before was the first where the top 4 could qualify, so this season was the first with up to four teams from one country participating.

So more than likely why it was moved in the first place.

Think most of the ones in the 90s were March, some were even played under floodlights, seemed to coincide with the Coca-Cola sponsorship starting in 92/93 - wonder if they suggested or if the idea just came up at the time of shifting it further away from the FA Cup final to differentiate

On 29/08/2024 at 04:14, Thorpinho said:

Who makes the decisions on the rigging/runs it? Aside from the obvious answer of the cartel themselves. Like is it the football league and Rick parry etc making these stupid decisions?

It reeks of Parry, like https://www.skysports.com/football/news/34651/13118481/fa-cup-replays-efl-and-non-league-clubs-hit-out-at-controversial-new-format

The FA's statement said the Professional Game Board, which has four EFL representatives including its chairman Rick Parry, and the FA Board had approved the overall calendar for next season containing the changes.

Furious clubs say they were not consulted

I think the compromise should’ve been if the Euro clubs are seeded/kept apart then they all have to play their ties away from home that round.

When are these buffoons going to announce the date as it can be two midweeks! Assume it’ll be Weds 18th as the CL teams are playing that week so playing league cup the week after and we’re at Wolves on the Sunday! 

29 minutes ago, Paully said:

When are these buffoons going to announce the date as it can be two midweeks! Assume it’ll be Weds 18th as the CL teams are playing that week so playing league cup the week after and we’re at Wolves on the Sunday! 

Guess it depends whether it gets chosen for TV.

I reckon Coventry v Spurs could be a TV pick, which would have to be Wed 18th as Spurs playing Sunday the 15th and then in the Europa the week after. So that could end up with us being the week after.

9 hours ago, SteV said:

Guess it depends whether it gets chosen for TV.

I reckon Coventry v Spurs could be a TV pick, which would have to be Wed 18th as Spurs playing Sunday the 15th and then in the Europa the week after. So that could end up with us being the week after.

This would suit me, as I've got the kids the first week so wouldn't be able to make it, but can go if it's the second week.

Tbh, the non-European clubs should have been able to make their arrangements straightaway. All the ties are televised this season on the red button if necessary so it doesn't make much difference to fans of any participating clubs. But I guess Sky will want to schedule them all so that they get the best combo of matches for the "main" channels to maximise neutral viewers??

On 30/08/2024 at 18:11, LFEE said:

I think the compromise should’ve been if the Euro clubs are seeded/kept apart then they all have to play their ties away from home that round.

Said exactly the same last week either on here somewhere or in a Whatsapp group chat.