Newcastle United vs. Tottenham Hotspur: 01/09/24 @ 13:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Good to see Gordon and Barnes start.

We really need wide men that can carry the ball forward on the right, with Longstaff playing and Trippier not starting.

Be really interesting to see how this goes. I think we'll be good.

Having Tonali and Trippier on the bench as options is great.

14 minutes ago, TRon said:

Longstaff starting ahead of Tonali...:milner:

I have to say I don’t get it. He’s physically fit and looked as match fit as anyone midweek. Plus we have a 2 week break coming up so it’s not like we have anything to save him for.

Understand Hall not starting, Kelly is probably the better choice with a defensive mindset. Not to worried about ball carriers either we just need to be able to ping the ball into one of Barnes, Gordon or Isak to catch them out. If they play their usual high line we can easily pick them apart. Still nervy though :lol:

Would have started with Tonali. Thought Longstaff looked better coming off the bench. Tonali's progressive passing is so far ahead of Longstaff's if we're looking to attack them from the off.

Edited by JUICE690

Pretty much as expected, although I'd prefer Hall at LB and Tonali over Longstaff. Big game for the out of position nonce brigade with Gordon & Barnes starting together.

Tonali is clearly the better player but Howes judgement is Tonali isn’t ready possibly mentally, possibly physically to start - that’s ok with me. He will be after the international break I’m sure. Today I hope we see a 30 minute appearance. 

Trippier and Tonali refreshing the right hand side after 60-70minutes is a real opportunity 

I get those saying Tonali should have started, but after 10 months away from competitive football, if he started 2 games in a week and got an injury, everyone would be complaining. Got to play the long game.

Edited by M1tche

43 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Not mad at Hall not starting this. Great option from the bench and also a handy midfield option should we need it.

Shocked at no Sandro but 2 starts in 5 days might've been a bit much.

Barnes and Gordon :smitten:

You can’t honestly be shocked at no Sandro? Howe will play Longstaff ad infinitum because he ‘understands his role’. 

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Hope Eddie picks the right team to start with from the outset.

That right side of the team has caused us problems this season.

If we start as poorly as we did against Southampton and Bournemouth because of it, think the atmosphere will be really bad, coming off the back of a poor window.

Can we have the relentlessly positive Kaka back soon please? :lol:

4 minutes ago, STM said:

Think it will be Gordon on the right to start.

4 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Gordon on the right:thup:

Barnes finished really strongly on the right against Forest, and was linking up really nicely with Livramento.

He actually did better on that right side than Gordon did last game.

I'd probably start with him there instead, but either should be fine really, and much better than the alternative options.