Anthony Elanga

SUPERTOON

29 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I’d rather he was chatting up Kulusevski.

The more I see of him the less impressed I am. 

Maybe it’s Angie’s tactics.  He was brilliant in his first 6 months in England under Conte.  

He’s more talented than Elanga.  Eddie would have him back up there I’m sure.   

The time to buy Elanga was probably when he went to Forest. Chasing him now just reeks of us paying a premium for a PL tested player.  Don't see why we would have hired Mitchell to pursue such a deal.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’d be shocked after the Mitchell interview, to see us go back in for Elanga or Guehi.

Seconded - think Mitchell's stamp will be much clearer: young appreciating assets from Europe. Expect we'll see significant activity in Jan.

Just now, Upthemags said:

Expect we'll see significant activity in Jan.

After how he was talking I'd expect to see activity long before January.

1 minute ago, Upthemags said:

Seconded - think Mitchell's stamp will be much clearer: young appreciating assets from Europe. Expect we'll see significant activity in Jan.

Aye, and for me, he can’t come out and criticise our current set up and then go back in for those exact same targets.

33 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think if Guehi's price has halved we could get him still. 

This. If the price drops between£45-52m I can see Mitchell going for him. Even if just for optics after last window and all the rubbish talked about it.

13 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Aye, and for me, he can’t come out and criticise our current set up and then go back in for those exact same targets.

I don't think the strategy will change.

Howe wants a centre back and right winger he is certain can make a difference in the first team. This likely means Prem proven, which is why he opted to not spend in the end, if we couldn't land Guehi and Elanga.

In Mitchell's first interview he touched on this point. That they have the foundations of a good team and that they are looking to add one or two key additions.

Now, whether we will be able to identify other options that fit this mandate, that Howe can be convinced of, we will see. 

As far as the general thinking goes, Mitchell has already confirmed he is on board with pursuing these type of targets to complete the first team for Howe.

Going forward from there is where Mitchell's skills will come into play. Moving on some of the older or not that great squad players, and getting in younger prospects at good value to replace them.

Looking back, and considering our financial situation, we probably shouldn't have been spending what we did on some of our squad players, despite how good they've been. Barnes, Tino and Hall cost around £100 million between them.

When his price drops it will be for an ESL club. If it’s just us in for him then Parish will just treat us like mugs and up the price, and why wouldn’t he after the way we’ve carried on.

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Howe wants a centre back and right winger he is certain can make a difference in the first team. This likely means Prem proven, which is why he opted to not spend in the end, if we couldn't land Guehi and Elanga.

In Mitchell's first interview he touched on this point. That they have the foundations of a good team and that they are looking to add one or two key additions.

Now, whether we will be able to identify other options that fit this mandate, that Howe can be convinced of, we will see. 

As far as the general thinking goes, Mitchell has already confirmed he is on board with pursuing these type of targets to complete the first team for Howe.

Going forward from there is where Mitchell's skills will come into play. Moving on some of the older or not that great squad players, and getting in younger prospects at good value to replace them.

Looking back, and considering our financial situation, we probably shouldn't have been spending what we did on some of our squad players, despite how good they've been. Barnes, Tino and Hall cost around £100 million between them.

If we have a really strong run to December then maybe Howe would be more relaxed about bringing people in with a view to the final run in and then next season. All depends on his targets and the teams performance, can totally see on the other hand that if we are only there or thereabouts then he would only look at a 'sure thing'

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Like I've said, I don't think buying Guehi at this point in our development was a bad idea. I think he would've been a great addition and worth paying big money for.

Of course we can't do that with every signing, and we haven't, but we have to be ready to add quality when and where it's really needed. 

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Is Elanga only 10 million pounds less talented than Isak, though? 50m was wild. 50m is like four Chiesas.

Agreed, lets buy two Chiesa's and run with that.

If we need a CB and RW who must be ready to go with little adaptation then I guess that’s all one years money on one player and then all the next years money on the other. Unless we sell a star player or some how  massively increase our revenue in just 10 months.

Therefore seems reasonable to assume project players may be bought in both positions or one at the very least.

Especially if PM wants to stick to his agenda of signing approx 6 new players every year.

Brighton just spent £25m on Gruda, a project player. Looks like we can just about afford 2 of those at that price point.

Or you’re spending £10m and really reaching.

Elanga is a really good prospect with a ceiling as high as Gordon.

The frustrating thing would be the price and that we didn’t see his potential just over a year ago when he was going for a fraction of the price.