Go on then…Rate the summer 2024 Transfer window.

gdm

3/10

Not really bothered about selling Minteh or Anderson, but our incomings have been vastly underwhelming.

Lloyd Kelly is a good player at this level but it comes with the significant caveat of his injury record. A record I expect to not be aided with our esteemed history of treating injuries.

Then we have a goalkeeper who can’t even be trusted to be a backup he’s seemingly that hopeless as part of a PSR fiddle.

Pointless even discussing Ruddy.

Finally we have signed a young lad as our third-choice striker who has no record of scoring goals. 

It’s been an awful window and if I’m honest I’ve lost a lot of faith in our scouting and recruitment team. I don’t understand how they can’t identify other talents away from the Premier League.

Just now, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

It’s been an awful window and if I’m honest I’ve lost a lot of faith in our scouting and recruitment team. I don’t understand how they can’t identify other talents away from the Premier League.

That’s the thing. They could. 

What has changed? Isak, Botman, Bruno, Tonali. Why the pivot away from that? As I said, complain about PSR but then shop in England. 

Give Mitchell the keys ffs.

2/10 at best.

20m spunked on that Greek keeper apparently, it should really be 1/10.

I really thought we’d sign someone.. even something underwhelming.

Thats two shitty windows now.. back to back. We’re slipping backwards as all around us are strengthening.

I mean, not even a loan at centre back, to cover us until Botman is back so Krafth isn't out current 3rd choice centre back? Chalobah went on loan for the season without an obligation to buy I believe. Very strange.

After last seasons injury crisis we really really needed to add strength in positions of the squad. Loans, youngsters, older experienced stand by's..whatever. Had to improve us in case of injuries.

Say Schar and Krafth get injured for a while now. Who are we playing CB?

Miggy and Murphy get injured. Who's playing RW?

Pissing around with £70m in our pocket waiting for a player that was never going to come is absurd. Yeah we need to strengthen the first 11 but what's the point if the squad is thin?

Last season should have been a massive warning that injuries can decimate your squad fast, we seemed to be happy to take the gamble again which I would not have expected with the top professionals we have in the boardroom.

Edited by Scotty66

Got to say that my favourite thing about deadline day and maybe the whole transfer window was reading our signings being angrily described as a couple of 'bum boys' only here to placate Howe and Tindall.

Watershed transfer window, comparable to when we sold Andy Carroll. When I say comparable, in the sense that we can see the true intentions of the owners. 

PIF will not run the club anything like Ashley but at the same time we'll be equally as far away from being the next Man City. From now on it's going to just be about mid-table and possibly a lower European place every now and again. 

Since we signed Gordon, we have only added one first team player in Tonali, possibly Livramento too now. Do you really think PIF would accept that if they really wanted to achieve their stated goals, particularly when there are so many positions we could improve? 

Edited by macphisto

19 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

That’s the thing. They could. 

What has changed? Isak, Botman, Bruno, Tonali. Why the pivot away from that? As I said, complain about PSR but then shop in England. 

Give Mitchell the keys ffs.

Nickson and Andy Howe scout them all. Eddie signed off on all of them. Tonali was 100% an Andy Howe pushed move if you read the Tonali stuff. Howe has literally said he fell in love with Tonali. 

4/10 

A baffling transfer window. We've watched as rcb move for reasonable money and not got anyone in. Happy to see Fraser go, shame we couldn't move on Hayden and Lewis. 

It looks like next summer is going to be the most transformative since the takeover.

Dubravka

Lascelles 

Burn

Schar

Lewis

Krafth 

Longstaff

Wilson

Will all be out of contract in the summer (if transfermarkt is right)

One positive is that we haven’t had to suffer through this to then have Pardew constantly remind us that January is a really hard time to sign players. Howe won’t accept that. It’ll be full on panic stations on February 1st if anything even close to this happens again though.

Not good. My main concern is that I expect a summer of massive change if we fail to qualify for at least europa. So instead of continuing to build it will be the start of a rebuild. So I consider this season a big gamble.

I still have PSR concerns so spending big on Guehi always looked weird, but our squad needs fleshing out a bit, I see some of our regulars as bottom 5/championship standard. We seem to be shit at finding lower priced players that can contribute and grow in value. I thought this was what scouting networks were for tbh.

Realistically we need players who will improve the team, we can't ,or not allowed to afford these players, so we are looking next level down and are being priced out. There is not one player who has moved in this window that I think would have made a massive difference and of all the players that we have been linked with, in my opinion, the only ones who may have improved us are Guehi (probably) and Chiesa (possibly). We've been shite, mostly, since I went to my first game in 1970, so I am just excited to watch another season with decent players. If all you want is shiny new players then I would suggest you fuck off and support Chelsea.   so 3/10 for me.

Not bringing in any quality is obviously poor but people are really underrating the players we've managed to keep a hold of with no European football. 

5 minutes ago, cowlie63 said:

Realistically we need players who will improve the team, we can't ,or not allowed to afford these players, so we are looking next level down and are being priced out. There is not one player who has moved in this window that I think would have made a massive difference and of all the players that we have been linked with, in my opinion, the only ones who may have improved us are Guehi (probably) and Chiesa (possibly). We've been shite, mostly, since I went to my first game in 1970, so I am just excited to watch another season with decent players. If all you want is shiny new players then I would suggest you fuck off and support Chelsea.   so 3/10 for me.

p.s not having a go at the majority on here, but the absolute knobs on X

6 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Not bringing in any quality is obviously poor but people are really underrating the players we've managed to keep a hold of with no European football. 

and 10 months later, another lower than expected finish would 100% resulted in sacking of Howe. Do people really realize this?

If we were offering Gordon to Liverpool and the Bruno clause was active then that’s possibly more other teams not wanting our players than us not selling them. A few new contracts in the coming months would clear it up.

Will pass on giving a numerical rating or ranting too much. 

amateur hour window with brought back memories of a time I thought we’d left behind. If we do not qualify for EL at minimum things have essentially stalled for 24 months. 

40 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

- the Guehi saga was up there as one of the most embarrassing transfer attempts I've seen our club involved in, which is really saying something 

Agree. Falling in love with a player because of a good EURO and throwing ridiculous money after him was pathetic. That's what everyone thought we would do after the takeover. There was a time when Chelsea were offering Madueke up for sale and then they bought Neto and we could have had a deal. I understand the need for a long term Schar replacement, but we could have managed with him in the short term with maybe a young backup who could grow into the role. Don't think Guehi is clearly better than Schar and may not be better at all.  The biggest problem last year on defense was probably losing Pope and we stacked mediocre backups behind him. I doubt we score as well as last year and we have scored one goal in each of the first three games.  Big risk of missing European football and one of our purples pushing for a sale.

2/10.