Newcastle United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur (01/09/24) | Reaction: pg 48 | Goal posts: OP

Yorkie

From the Athletic:

More worryingly, Newcastle’s passing accuracy is a lowly 74.3 per cent — the worst in the division. In the opposition half, it is just 65.6 per cent, better only than Everton’s 65.2. Against Tottenham, both figures were even lower, at 71.3 per cent and 60.8 per cent respectively.

Their attempted passes total of 930 is the lowest in the Premier League this season. Same for the 691 passes they have completed.

Without labouring the point it's the biggest area of improvement for me. Particularly with a few away games coming up. 

When you have Krafth and Burn at CB and Longstaff in the engine room then you've got issues with passing. I think it will make a huge difference once we've got Botman, Schar and Tonali on the pitch.

Having said that, the likes of Bruno, Gordon, Barnes and even Isak have struggled to find accurate passes so far this season.

3 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

When you have Krafth and Burn at CB and Longstaff in the engine room then you've got issues with passing. I think it will make a huge difference once we've got Botman, Schar and Tonali on the pitch.

Having said that, the likes of Bruno, Gordon, Barnes and even Isak have struggled to find accurate passes so far this season.

Tonali will help loads with passing and composure and agree on Krafth and burn. I think you saw yesterday Howe changing his tactics to protect them and they talked about this on MOTD2. Without the new RW or CB coming in I think this first half of the season until

Botman returns/jan signings (well you’d hope) it’s going to be about managing things and adapting to what you already have.

We definitely had the better chances. The two goals, Barnes and Murphy chance along with the pen we should have had. 

Spurs controlled the majority but think it's a much more worrying performance from their POV. Looked toothless in attack with the same suicidal defending that cost them loads of goals last season. Romero is an absolute clown.

Just now, Jaqen said:

We definitely had the better chances. The two goals, Barnes and Murphy chance along with the pen we should have had. 

Spurs controlled the majority but think it's a much more worrying performance from their POV. Looked toothless in attack with the same suicidal defending that cost them loads of goals last season. Romero is an absolute clown.

And the Isak chip that hit the crossbar. 

8 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

They had all of their forwards out through injury to be fair

Apart from Solanke they haven't really got an out and out centre forwards anyway

Ange seems to like having loads of attackers who are best on the wing but he can stick up front (Son, Richarlison, Werner, Kulusevski)

I think Spurs just did the logical thing and pressed the hell out of Burn and Krafth and it made it very hard for us to build anything from the back. 

Schar is much more press resistant and can beat his man, whereas yesterday both CBs were press triggers, so his return should help that massively. Stating the obvious I know. 

No matter how much they dominate, Spurs will pretty much always give you the sort of chances we got and thankfully we had the quality to take them. 

Edited by GeordieDazzler

52 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

From the Athletic:

More worryingly, Newcastle’s passing accuracy is a lowly 74.3 per cent — the worst in the division. In the opposition half, it is just 65.6 per cent, better only than Everton’s 65.2. Against Tottenham, both figures were even lower, at 71.3 per cent and 60.8 per cent respectively.

Their attempted passes total of 930 is the lowest in the Premier League this season. Same for the 691 passes they have completed.

Without labouring the point it's the biggest area of improvement for me. Particularly with a few away games coming up. 

First game we played with 10 for an hour. Bournemouth seemed a bit more even possession wise? But we were sloppy on the ball, still. Would we ever have decent passing against Spurs? When the gameplan is usually play on the counter and a lot of clearances into space?

Krafth and Burn at CB. A GK that is terrible with the ball at feet. Kelly, who looks far more comfortable on the ball at CB regularly playing LB, no Trippier from

the start. Who is arguably our best passer of the ball. Then Joelinton and Longstaff in midfield. Neither are particularly good or consistent with their passing. 

Concerning numbers. But I’m not surprised by them at all. 

15 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

First game we played with 10 for an hour. Bournemouth seemed a bit more even possession wise? But we were sloppy on the ball, still. Would we ever have decent passing against Spurs? When the gameplan is usually play on the counter and a lot of clearances into space?

Krafth and Burn at CB. A GK that is terrible with the ball at feet. Kelly, who looks far more comfortable on the ball at CB regularly playing LB, no Trippier from

the start. Who is arguably our best passer of the ball. Then Joelinton and Longstaff in midfield. Neither are particularly good or consistent with their passing. 

All good points.

15 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

We had 60% possession against Bournemouth, FWIW. 

Anyone watching the highlights on MOTD who then listened to the pundits going on about how Spurs should have won would have been mightily confused - all the good chances that were show  were for us.  Goes to show it's quality of possession and chances that makes the difference rather than just volume

7 minutes ago, simonsays said:

Anyone watching the highlights on MOTD who then listened to the pundits going on about how Spurs should have won would have been mightily confused - all the good chances that were show  were for us.  Goes to show it's quality of possession and chances that makes the difference rather than just volume

Same thing on the YouTube highlights, loads of attacks for us and then "the fans won't be happy" on the commentary :lol:

There's a bit of truth to both I suppose. 

Spurs weren't really that good. We just made that mistake for the goal and our heads went for a while. It was much more about our mistakes than their quality IMO. 

They also made odd subs like bringing on Werner which was never going to help them. 

48 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

We had 60% possession against Bournemouth, FWIW. 

So I was half right then :lol: with it being more even. Not lopsided against us like the first and third games. I thought we were better in pacthes with control of the game. But still a lot of sloppy, misplaced passes in their half. 

It would feel very harsh on Burn but I would like to see us go with a back four of Hall - Kelly - Schar - Tino against Wolves in order to get us passing the ball out again. Absolutely no chance of it happening mind you. 

6 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Werner is such a busted flush, hard to believe he's as ineffective as he is

Even at Chelsea it was clear he couldn’t operate at this level. Baffling signing by Spurs. I’d actually forgotten he was there until he came on yesterday.