Newcastle United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur (01/09/24) | Reaction: pg 48 | Goal posts: OP

Yorkie

Look at it this way, if you are another top 8 team watching this, do you think you would be most scared of meeting spurs or us next match?

I saw a well-playing spurs side that are extremely easy to break down. Against a newcastle side far from their best and still really hard to get anything against and lethal up front.

It was a means to an end.

Last season the way to play Spurs was to let them have the ball and play on the counter. We didn't look convincing at times, but on the end the game plan worked.

It's been a rough week for Howe and he has some unsettled lads in that dressing room. Our first choice CB pairing are out, last season's best player is undercooked and our striker is lacking confidence. 

The fact we were able to grind out a result speaks volumes about the character of the lads. We know we will have to and we can improve, but taking everything into account I'm not going to grumble about the performance today, it's a massive result.

Edited by The Prophet

Was working so didn't see the game. Watched the highlights. My only thought is what the fuck was their goal that we gifted them :lol: 

Pleased with the win. Keep some positivity around the club, unbeaten start and a chance to regroup after the international break.

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I honestly don't think we even ground that out. I was far more relaxed watchin that than Bournemouth.

Possibly bad choice of words, but we were under the cosh for a decent spell, even if they didn't make the most of it.

9 minutes ago, NoU said:

Look at it this way, if you are another top 8 team watching this, do you think you would be most scared of meeting spurs or us next match?

I saw a well-playing spurs side that are extremely easy to break down. Against a newcastle side far from their best and still really hard to get anything against and lethal up front.

I don’t think Spurs looked good in the final third. The young lad, Son, Kulu, Maddison not at it. Not enough ability in central midfield or threat from fullbacks apart from Porro taking shots from distance. 

Maybe they need a focal point striker to bounce things off. 

The best thing about their performance is they competed physically really well and won most of the duels. They got a lot of the breaks in little tussles. 

Very Spursy in defence as you would expect. 

We looked a poor footballing side for the 3rd game in a row. But determined and hard to beat. 

If I supported another side in the top 8, I wouldn’t be seriously worried by either team. Thankfully for us, Man U are Man U, Chelsea are Chelsea and Villa are in the CL. The other 3 are levels above again.  

If we put the terrible window behind us and the initial gloom (it’s natural) I think we’ll do OK this season. Spurs are a top six side and we beat them. Don’t think they were particularly brilliant more so we were our own undoing.

Schar back from ban improves our defence and our play out especially when midfield passes it back under pressure as we don’t immediately give it back.

Tonali is like a new signing (cliche but he hardly played for us since signing) and improves the right side of midfield.

The Barnes/Gordon experiment has potential. Think Gordon’s poor performances so far has some thinking it’s because of him playing on the right but that’s due to a general slump in his performances. Sure he’ll come good. Would like to see them swapping over sides in game.

Pope was shaky with the parrying shots but hopefully it’s post injury rustiness.

Wilson coming back soon allowing Isak's minutes to be managed better. Miley when he’s back is another midfield option when he’s back.

While we rode our luck and were poor in parts we dug in and got the result the issue is if performances don't pick up is this maintainable?

Commentary made a good point we were great at defending but so poor breaking out it was cleared around the penalty area but spurs had players unmarked Iining up outside the  box just none of them could finish. I do feel the balls that cut across our own goal were only spurs missing a central striker today away from a heavy defeat. 

Still glad to Bank the 3 points hope those away on internationals come back unscathed and we go again. 

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

The main reason we won is that on two occasions we punished Spurs. In the first case, they switched off from a throw and Barnes clinically put it away. In the second case, their idiotic high line was taken advantage of.

The other big reason is the mettle we have in the side and the tactical strength of our manager. 

We probably rode our luck to some extent - one of their wingers (Odobert) was absolutely pish and I bet they'd have nicked another goal if they had someone instead of him with a modicum of attacking instinct. 

Knew their high line would do for them. Spurs seemed to have their usual lack of appetite when they play us but it looked like we kept sitting back and allowing them to keep the press on. Could see their goal coming, we looked so blunt in the moments I had it on, a little spell just before their goal where we were second to every ball. So relived to win. Tenacity and our clinical forwards got us there. 

2 hours ago, Amir_9 said:

One month closer to Botman being back and Schar back after the break - that will be huge.

Botman is class obvs but Schar’s importance to us is so underrated. He allows us to push up, spread wide because of his shitpingers, and of course he has the ability to go on a maze up himself. 

26 minutes ago, Ellis H said:

Johnson, Odobert and Porro had about 1xg between them which says it all. Can barely remember a shot they had.

Isak had 1xg on his own for the goal.

I like Ange’s willingness to play the Odobert boy.  But he wasn’t good at all imo. 

Neither was Kulu and Son.