Fulham 3-1 Newcastle United (21/09/24)

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, Beren said:

A much-needed punch in the mouth.

We didn't have a perfect transfer window, we don't have a perfect squad, but we have more than enough than talent and depth in the squad to be much better than what's been shown.

Not sure if Howe doesn't know his best XI, or if he's tinkering to gameplan for opponents (which would strike me as somewhat obsequious), but either way he will sink or swim this season.

Nailed it

Just now, joeyt said:

Not sure what Tonali did to deserve a 6. Him kicking an easy ball down the line to Murphy out for a goal kick was frustrating. 

The decision making and passing in the final third was abysmal all game

We kept the ball better when he came on, his through ball to Isak, that's about it. 6 is the starting point for all my ratings, generally means average. 

It's been coming. You can't play like we've been and pull it out the fire every time but even today if Schar scored or squares it for Isak we get summat and I make us favourites to win. Some players are getting by on reputation and you can't tell me Howe knows what his best side is . Everything lately seems to be throw it at the wall till something sticks. Defence is a mess and the defensive portion of the midfield is also a mess. We seem to exhibit no control over games and then have to have the shit or bust approach. It's not good enough and they've all got away for it for the second half of last season and the start of this. Isak is completely isolated for large swathes of the play and only gets played in on breakaways, if we want to do well this season again that has to change. I've said before we use Isak like he's Wilson and the 4-3-3 whichever personnel are being used is too fragile when we're not pressing or don't have the pace in the back line to press up the park. Eddie's one of the best managers we've had and now he needs to show it. Stop playing favourites and start picking on performance and effort also if players are not fit. Don't play them. This isn't the place for prima donnas we want to be winners. Time to act like it and tossing off points at Fulham is certainly not it. Expect a big performance midweek and a committed focused United Newcastle against City.  

Think the media need to be asking Howe about these consistent poor performances. Instead of when are we going to click, it should be why aren't we clicking.

He's got a lot of credit in the bank and i really hope he can turn it around but this isn't a good sign tbh.

No press, bad decision making, players look completely unmotivated. Something just feels off throughout the club. 

Tonali not starting the last 2 games is just daft. If it's about load then give him 65/70 mins. 

2 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

Never recovered after another really poor start.

Lots of questions need answering. As I said earlier, problems behind the scenes? ???

Definitely issues of sorts behind the scenes, all does not seem well.

This result was definitely coming though and it’s probably needed to burst the bubble.

Glad I missed it. As it doesn’t ruin my weekend and hit the same as if I’m watching. But that’s a bad result and the performance sounds even worse. 

Did think we needed something today with the run in. I thought a point would have been a poor result :lol: 

Feels all of a sudden, we’re a bit like Chelsea (minus the money that we can spend). Not sure what our best team or system is?!

I won’t shit the bed just yet. But it’s not great. I think Howe is top drawer and will turn it around. But not a nice 5 games to try and change things. 

18 minutes ago, andyman said:

Pope letting in a super soft goal. Fulham hitting the crossbar. Schär missing a sitter. Howe stubborn. Yes, that one sub at half-time worked wonders, but he should've made three subs at half-time. Minimum. Bruno not a very impressive captain. We're extremely fragile at left back. Yes, Hall is good at times. At times. It's like his brain disappears every now and then. Will get better with more experience, but right now we're lacking in some areas.

Not a fun day for us Newcastle fans, but we go again on Tuesday. Hopefully a good game and a little bit of a condidence boost before the game against Manchester City.

Have a great rest of the weekend, guys and gals! :aww:

2 subs at half time -- Hall and Murphy.

If a couple of players aren't up to full intensity, you can get outworked and outfought and I think that's what we are seeing. We were bullied today. They were happy to take 6 yellows and we never looked like getting any. Bruno, Gordon, Isak all looked off the pace today. I'm a massive Bruno fan (who isn't?) but he's been poor every game this season. Do we keep picking players based on reputation and form from last season? It's a brave decision to drop the big names but we've been poor in every single game. Something has to change and perhaps he needs a rest. Same goes for Gordon. Man City next, so that's maybe not the time for experimentation, but we have to change something.

It could be the best result for us in the long run. For all the talk from manager and players about how they know we’re not playing at our best, we have still managed to get results. Today proved we can’t skate along and rely on individual moments of quality to bail us out.

We've pretty much stood still for 2 years without major changes to the squad.

With every other side improving, we can't expect to pick up where we left off in 2022/23.

The biggest concern is obviously the performances - and absolutely the lack of intensity.

Seems our identity has vanished, its not been there for a while, but we had the injury crisis of last season to blame whilst we looked out of sorts, the reality is this season is now proving its slipping away, I'm starting to belive the heartbeat has been ripped out of us by removing Amanda, she bought the feel good factor, sounds soppy, but I think lots of the staff and players embraced her loving passionate presence.

Those three sat together today Eales, Mitchell and the other is it Bunce,  reminded me of the dark days, with Ashley's Cronies. 

:anguish:

Probably being a bedwetter 

4 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Seems our identity has vanished, its not been there for a while, but we had the injury crisis of last season to blame whilst we looked out of sorts, the reality is this season is now proving its slipping away, I'm starting to belive the heartbeat has been ripped out of us by removing Amanda, she bought the feel good factor, sounds soppy, but I think lots of the staff and players embraced her loving passionate presence.

Those three sat together today Eales, Mitchell and the other is it Bunce,  reminded me of the dark days, with Ashley's Cronies. 

Eales gives massive Ashley vibes.

9 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Almost definitely, but I completely get it. Most people here are too long in the tooth and have seen it over and over with managers to predict where we are going if the results dont quickly change. The press get their claws out and start alienating the fanbase from each other and turning on the team and Howe.

Easy narrative a new leadership team to want their own manager to come in rather than stick with the one they didn't hire. Means it's easy to spin question marks over who is loyal to Howe and whether Amanda and Mehrdad were his only allies etc. The England job is just another narrative to spin.

While PiF remain in charge are still inevitable imo, we just need to wait it out. 

Either way it's clear press speculation is affecting everyone. The worry is how easily the players might have been dragged down by just the entry level speculation. It's likely only going to Amp up. If everyone doesn't fix it, it's another predictable but sad situation upcoming.

19 minutes ago, toon25 said:

We've pretty much stood still for 2 years without major changes to the squad.

With every other side improving, we can't expect to pick up where we left off in 2022/23.

The biggest concern is obviously the performances - and absolutely the lack of intensity.

Not sure if thats true. Barnes, Tonali, Gordon and Livramento are all great additions.

I think the most worrying thing is that no one is really surprised given the performances. The fact we can put out that sort of lineup and look so disjointed or without purpose is a massive worry. Especially given how easy our start has been on paper.