Everton 0-0 Newcastle United (05/10/24)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Nine said:

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree here, because I don’t feel that was a good performance. As I said, we were allowed a lot of the ball and never really put it together tonight. It’s not the end of the world and it was probably better than Wolves, but a better side would have killed us off tonight. 

You might be right, but if we'd converted one of those chances I seriously doubt we're having this conversation, it becomes a comfortable win where we managed the game well and the home team barely touched the ball in our box. 

Very frustrating. We've spent a lot of money, we apparently had another £50m+ to spend on Guehi, and here we are talking about lack of quality/end product.

I'm not sure who said it earlier in the thread but we haven't been a good team for quite a while, at least not a consistent one.

3 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Anyone know the stats about how many times we lost possession? 

Our pass completion was 86% from 553 passes, which is generally pretty good if not spectacular, Arsenals's today was 90% from 480 passes.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Utter bollocks  :lol:

Tonight we did the opposite of what we've been doing. Until now we've been carving very little open, creating not that much, and getting through it with a breakaway, a worldie or a pen. Tonight we created plenty of openings and our final ball or shot let us down. 

It's not utter bollocks, everything we have created in previous games has been wasteful or not taken. Just because we get more possession against a totally shit Everton team and have more of the ball in the final third doesn't make the point less true [emoji38] 

1 minute ago, Andy said:

You might be right, but if we'd converted one of those chances I seriously doubt we're having this conversation, it becomes a comfortable win where we managed the game well and the home team barely touched the ball in our box. 

Didn’t they miss a sitter during the pen incident with Burn? Unless I saw it wrong. 

8 minutes ago, Andy said:

This is exactly it. The result dictating the perception of the performance.

No one had any trouble seeing that the performances weren't very good against Wolves and Spurs despite the result. Not sure why it's not applying the other way...

Edited by Kid Icarus

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

3 points would take the sting out of it a bit tonight definitely, but I’d still be here saying that our away performances are concerning. I’ve been saying it since last season, it’s a trend that has continued and it will catch up to us without improvement. 

We can’t blame the transfer window, it’s not necessarily a player issue. We lack structure even with Isak in the side, transitional goals are our best bet away from home but we were never going to get that against Everton. I feel like I repeat myself every week, but hopefully the next away performance is better.

Edited by Nine

Just now, Keegans Export said:

Very frustrating. We've spent a lot of money, we apparently had another £50m+ to spend on Guehi, and here we are talking about lack of quality/end product.

I'm not sure who said it earlier in the thread but we haven't been a good team for quite a while, at least not a consistent one.

I would suggest the obvious answer would be, last season we scored so many goals, maybe they thought that wasn't the issue. But we did concede a lot, maybe a tad too simplistic but possible.

No one had any trouble seeing that the performances weren't very good against Wolves and Spurs despite the result. Not sure why it's not applying the other way.

A chance to moan >>> all else.

10 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

That is poor then, no use playing well up to the final third as that doesn't win you games. The transfer window is coming home to roost and whoever's decided to only concentrate and bid stupid on an average defender wants their arses kicked. The fact Murphy and Almiron are still consistently getting game time after three years is unreal s I said earlier

It’s on Howe then, he wanted to control transfers and we got fuck all. His personal battle against the director of football should never become our football club.

4 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

It's not utter bollocks, everything we have created in previous games has been wasteful or not taken. Just because we get more possession against a totally shit Everton team and have more of the ball in the final third doesn't make the point less true [emoji38] 

We weren't creating previously and squandering chances, that's just factually wrong. We were outstripping our xG because we were creating little but getting goals. Tonight was the opposite, an xG of nearly 3, no goals.

Edited by Kid Icarus

No one had any trouble seeing that the performances weren't very good against Wolves and Spurs despite the result. Not sure why it's not applying the other way.

KI my dear summer child, you're forgetting the cardinal rule of Newcastle fans: "Everything is awful always" :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Nine said:

3 points would take the sting out of it a bit tonight definitely, but I’d still be here saying that our away performances are concerning. I’ve been saying it since last season, it’s a trend that has continued and it will catch up to us without improvement. 

I've been saying it too tbf, we've been awful consistently. However, at least we could pass the ball tonight which is a step in the right direction. This is definitely one of the more controlled away performances we've given, whether you could argue Everton allowed it or not - I'm not sure they did tbh as they didn't exactly have 10 men behind the ball and the game was stretched at times. 

Would have liked to have seen us throw Osula on and go 4-2-3-1 at one point. Osula down the middle, Gordon in the middle and Miggy and Barnes either side. Gordon was picking up some good positions in the first half and having a focal point stretching the game could have given him more space 

8 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Was thinking the same.

Must have won it back some considering we had 70% possession like! If anything the square and backwards balls were more of a problem than the progressive passes getting intercepted.

Edited by jack j

4 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Best part of 80 million on 2 wingers, just be grateful we didn’t spunk 40 million on Elanga.

3 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Feel like the game went to Gordon's head in the way (ironically) Pickford used to go to pieces in the same fixture. Don't think Gordon misses that chance in the way he does in any other game.

Aye a bit. Too much time to think in both occasions. Thought he played really well aside from that.