Oguchi Onyewu signs on loan

KaKa

so, will he be the first yank to ever pull on a newcastle united shirt?

Guiseppe Rossi?

i forgot about rossi.   gooch would be the 1st american "international" then?   rossi wanted to play for italy...  did he?

not dirty enough?  :laugh:

from a site given earlier:

...To measure his progress, the Americans' World Cup qualifiers against Mexico last year provided an enlightening gauge. In the first meeting, Arena decided to test his young defender with an unexpected starting assignment in one of the world's most unforgiving settings: 120,000-seat Estadio Azteca in oxygen-deprived Mexico City.

Overall he performed reasonably well, but the moment everyone will remember came in the first half when he lost track of Mexican star Jared Borgetti, who scored on a short header to spark a 2-1 victory.

Six months later in Columbus, Ohio, with a World Cup berth going to the winner, Onyewu's physical play unnerved Borgetti and helped the Americans to a 2-0 triumph.

Among the prominent clips on the U.S. Soccer Federation's highlight DVD is the stoic Onyewu staring down Borgetti as the frustrated Mexican forward yells at him. "He was saying a heap of Spanish stuff," Onyewu said. "I didn't understand a word of it, but I knew what he was thinking."

Onyewu has scored just one goal for the U.S. team, but it was a dramatic one -- an injury-time header that beat Honduras, 2-1, in the Gold Cup semifinals last summer.

But playing against CONCACAF opponents is a lot different than facing the likes of Italy and the Czech Republic, two of the Americans' opponents in the first round of he World Cup.

Is Onyewu ready for those monumental tests?

"I think so," Arena said. "He showed his inexperience at the start, but every time he came back into camp, you could see the improvement. The way you learn is to get on the field and get burned once in a while.

"He's learned from those experiences and gotten better and better."

Guest SeattleToon

Here's a scouting report on him from a Yank who has seen just about every game he has played for the USMNT.

"Gooch" is huge...you don't realize exactly how huge until to see him up close and personal, but he's 1.95m and built like a rubgy player. If he loses a challenge in the air, call the papers, 'cause it won't happen very often.

He's also suprisingly fleet afoot and good on the ball. His weaknesses at this point are positioning and distribution, like with most young players his age, since those are things you get better at with experience.

The EPL would be an excellent league for him to develop in, because of his physicality, and if we get him, it would be an excellent signing.

This is more sad news then happy..

After 28 days of waiting,we sign Oguchi Onyewu,On loan  :lol:

Lets hope he add's something to our team..

What were you expecting, John Terry?

Not Oguchi Onyewu thats for sure  :lol:

But if he's all we can afford,then its ok.

But us not signing "too old" Campell is a shame tbh..he was avalible on free and we didnt take the chance

But lets not judge this Oguchi fella before we actually get the chance to see him in black and white.

Here's a scouting report on him from a Yank who has seen just about every game he has played for the USMNT.

"Gooch" is huge...you don't realize exactly how huge until to see him up close and personal, but he's 1.95m and built like a rubgy player. If he loses a challenge in the air, call the papers, 'cause it won't happen very often.

He's also suprisingly fleet afoot and good on the ball. His weaknesses at this point are positioning and distribution, like with most young players his age, since those are things you get better at with experience.

The EPL would be an excellent league for him to develop in, because of his physicality, and if we get him, it would be an excellent signing.

Glove-like fit for this team then.

How long does it take to have a medical ??

Thought we would have heard one way or the other by now.

I thought our medicals were Fred grabs and a hand full of balls and just asks "cough"    "***COUGH****"  "ooo they jumped a good height, 50 grand a week do ya?"

I'm fairly pleased with this, although obviously a couple of fullbacks would have been ideal.

From what I've read it seems like he's got a good attitude, and sure wor Nigel Pearson can work his magic and make him more consistent with positioning and that. It will also make a change to have some sort of physical presence.

If we got him and Babel in I'd say the transfer window hadn't been a complete failure (although I know Babel is unlikely).

How long does it take to have a medical ??

Thought we would have heard one way or the other by now.

I thought our medicals were Fred grabs and a hand full of balls and just asks "cough"    "***COUGH****"  "ooo they jumped a good height, 50 grand a week do ya?"

After his medical he needs to apply for a work permit before he is allowed to sign.

Another vid of him on youtube doing a long throw  into the box, will be nice to have a player that can do longggggggg throws too. :D

Like previously stated, he almost threw it in the net.  Has that ever happened?

Ask Brummie. :lol:

It wouldn't be a legal goal though.

Another vid of him on youtube doing a long throw  into the box, will be nice to have a player that can do longggggggg throws too. :D

Like previously stated, he almost threw it in the net.  Has that ever happened?

Ask Brummie. :lol:

It wouldn't be a legal goal though.

Bolton try it every week tbf.