Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

22 minutes ago, Wullie said:

European finals were always on a Wednesday until they moved the CL about 10 years ago.

One of my first proper memories of watching football was watching the Heysel disaster in 85 unfold live, they barely cut away from the stadium. Half bricks bouncing off Italian heads, hoards of fans running rampage across the terracing, walls collapsing, absolute carnage, they showed the lot. I was 9 and went to school the next day utterly baffled 

13 hours ago, midds said:

One of my first proper memories of watching football was watching the Heysel disaster in 85 unfold live, they barely cut away from the stadium. Half bricks bouncing off Italian heads, hoards of fans running rampage across the terracing, walls collapsing, absolute carnage, they showed the lot. I was 9 and went to school the next day utterly baffled 

Same here. I was 7. Still have really vivid memories of watching it live on telly.

It scared the bejesus out of me. 

Edited by bobbydazzla

A growing pet hate of mine has to be this whole 'fake foes'. That's a new phrase that I'll coin.

Social media and the subsequent ability to spew any old bile onto a web page has not just football fans, but people in general, just bickering for the sake of bickering like.

The way Villa went on with us was utterly pathetic, creating a rivalry that never previously existed. Now Everton have had a few of their arsewipes having digs about us earlier in the season, loads of our internet following seem desperate for them to go down.

I mean sure, it's amusing to see underdogs prevail, big clubs go down and experience what we have, etc. Sure, Pickfords a thick mackem charva, they don't like Benitez and several of their players are tits. But really? I'd rather focus my time and effort on us than these like, or Villa or anyone for that matter. Focus on being the best then none of these matter. That's why champions are champions.

I mean there's nee harm in laughing at your actual rivals from time to time, but making up new ones is just like... Meh

Edited by Heron

2 hours ago, Heron said:

A growing pet hate of mine has to be this whole 'fake foes'. That's a new phrase that I'll coin.

Social media and the subsequent ability to spew any old bile onto a web page has not just football fans, but people in general, just bickering for the sake of bickering like.

The way Villa went on with us was utterly pathetic, creating a rivalry that never previously existed. Now Everton have had a few of their arsewipes having digs about us earlier in the season, loads of our internet following seem desperate for them to go down.

I mean sure, it's amusing to see underdogs prevail, big clubs go down and experience what we have, etc. Sure, Pickfords a thick mackem charva, they don't like Benitez and several of their players are tits. But really? I'd rather focus my time and effort on us than these like, or Villa or anyone for that matter. Focus on being the best then none of these matter. That's why champions are champions.

I mean there's nee harm in laughing at your actual rivals from time to time, but making up new ones is just like... Meh

The Everton rivalry isn’t just from this season it’s been like this for years. Our fans react because after a certain amount of time ofcourse you would 

Edited by Rafalove

For me football is all about little rivalries, holding petty grudges, wanting certian teams or managers to fail/lose. 

Similarly on the other hand I'll watch teams who Ben Arfa plays for and hope they do well, was buzzing when the Gas won 7-0 the other week. 

Watching every game as a pure neutral would make it a lot more boring. 

Couldn’t agree more. I don’t think I ever watch a game where I don’t end up favouring someone for some mild reason or individual or indiscretion. Especially as we win nowt, it’s all we have. I will always support my beloved 1. FC Schadenfreude against anyone.

Likewise if the crowd are utterly ambivalent about what’s going on, on the field, it’s really hard to watch and I really struggle to get into it as it’s harder to pick up the mood of a game. Olympic football and youth internationals being the worst offenders of this.  

As such it was no surprise during covid everyone realised this immediately and got the fake noise involved, I remember watching that first closed Dortmund game back with the silence and aside from it being football it was horrific. 

Heza is right though. Some stuff gets egged on to a needless degree trying to open wounds that aren’t really there  the name of content. I don’t mind Everton that much but yes it’d have been funny if they’d gone down but then imagine carrying on like Villa fans did, not for me Clive. 

2 hours ago, Jaqen said:

For me football is all about little rivalries, holding petty grudges, wanting certian teams or managers to fail/lose. 

Similarly on the other hand I'll watch teams who Ben Arfa plays for and hope they do well, was buzzing when the Gas won 7-0 the other week. 

Watching every game as a pure neutral would make it a lot more boring. 

The rivalry lasts 90 mins. Sometimes more if it's a cup game.

4 hours ago, Disco said:

Couldn’t agree more. I don’t think I ever watch a game where I don’t end up favouring someone for some mild reason or individual or indiscretion. Especially as we win nowt, it’s all we have. I will always support my beloved 1. FC Schadenfreude against anyone.

Likewise if the crowd are utterly ambivalent about what’s going on, on the field, it’s really hard to watch and I really struggle to get into it as it’s harder to pick up the mood of a game. Olympic football and youth internationals being the worst offenders of this.  

As such it was no surprise during covid everyone realised this immediately and got the fake noise involved, I remember watching that first closed Dortmund game back with the silence and aside from it being football it was horrific. 

Heza is right though. Some stuff gets egged on to a needless degree trying to open wounds that aren’t really there  the name of content. I don’t mind Everton that much but yes it’d have been funny if they’d gone down but then imagine carrying on like Villa fans did, not for me Clive. 

Aye, this basically. 

17 hours ago, Rafalove said:

The Everton rivalry isn’t just from this season it’s been like this for years. Our fans react because after a certain amount of time ofcourse you would 

There's always clubs that get right up people's chuffs for whatever reason individually. I had a thing for Wolves and Luton at times. I think a lot of us have realised we've felt that way about Everton privately and have just coalesced around it, freed from wondering if there was something wrong or taboo about it.

Edited by Wolfcastle

On 15/05/2022 at 16:34, Lazarus said:

Socks pulled way up over the knees.

ah na man.

ayoze used to do it and he was my younger bairns first toon idol.

so when he started playing aged 6, he always had his socks pulled up over his knees. so cute man. (non paedo way).

20 hours ago, Disco said:

Basically describing what football is all about with one post there. Couldn't agree more :thup:

Apologies if it's already been mentioned in this thread.

The new habit of naming any and all players initials alongside their number. Just seen the video of Tripper speaking recently and the caption is "KT15". 

I don't disagree with it so much when it's a brand like CR7, that's his brand, he has boots and clothing etc with that logo. But when it's a player that isn't necessarily known for wearing a specific number or they don't have another namesake like Brazilian Ronaldo being referred to as R9 then I think it kind of stupid. 

Just how much football is fragmented behind different premium services to watch. When I become head of FIFA I'll mandate that every top teir football league must ensure 5% of fixtures are given to "free TV" in their country.

1 hour ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Mccoist is cracking when he's doing co-commentary.

That is one of my pet hates too - when the co-comms has a scottish accent.

It was canny 25 years ago when Keys and Gray first linked up but now?