St James' Park

Delima

Hypothetically if the stadium was knocked down, would it be possible to build again on the same site but also move back from the Gallowgate into a bit of Leazes Park.

With current groundskeeping technology, the direction of the stadium isn’t that important anymore.

3 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Hypothetically if the stadium was knocked down, would it be possible to build again on the same site but also move back from the Gallowgate into a bit of Leazes Park.

With current groundskeeping technology, the direction of the stadium isn’t that important anymore.

Probably but may take a couple of years.......can't see us sharing with Sunderland.

This takeover with its resources is the only one where they can find a way of extending SJP.

I hope they do but can only envisage incremental increases (remodel the East Stand, tier + on the Gallowgate) that probably won't be enough. Who even knows what would be enough anymore. Think were looking past 60k now.

I'd want the stadium to be nowhere near the rest of the set up. Keep a "Saturday" only feel about it and city centre

*I'd love the Gallowgate to match the Leazes but with an the extra capacity of an arch on top, with a green light on the front of the roof, replicating the tyne bridge.

Edited by Wolfcastle

10 minutes ago, Vedder said:

Is the arena site viable for a stadium? The land next to it drops off quite steeply towards the river. 

These guys are building an entire future city in the Arabian desert. A bit of silt in a muddy river isn't going to be a sticking point. 

8 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

No because you couldn't build on a listed park. Nor would there be anywhere to groundshare while doing so.

Building anew on Castle Leazes is pretty much the only potential possibility for a new build that should be entertained. The setting and location of the ground is the best of any going for a multitude of reasons.

11 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

No because you couldn't build on a listed park. Nor would there be anywhere to groundshare while doing so.

Building anew on Castle Leazes is pretty much the only potential possibility for a new build that should be entertained. The setting and location of the ground is the best of any going for a multitude of reasons.

It would take a lot of persuading but I don’t see why the council wouldn’t re-zone a portion of land if and it would be quite easy to support why it would be in the areas interest.

Ground share would be an issue but there’s more options, somewhere like Murrayfield could be an option.

It’s a 2.5 hour journey. Surely something supporters could put up with while a new stadium is built?

26 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

This takeover with its resources is the only one where they can find a way of extending SJP.

I hope they do but can only envisage incremental increases (remodel the East Stand, tier + on the Gallowgate) that probably won't be enough. Who even knows what would be enough anymore. Think were looking past 60k now.

I'd want the stadium to be nowhere near the rest of the set up. Keep a "Saturday" only feel about it and city centre

*I'd love the Gallowgate to match the Leazes but with an the extra capacity of an arch on top, with a green light on the front of the roof, replicating the tyne bridge.

It's interesting to speculate about the stadium, but however they alter and extend it, the one thing I think they will definitely do is to put a retractable roof on it.

It would be a big job, but I am certain that idea will appeal to them.

It opens up quite a few other year-round uses for the stadium as well.

This is just my personal thoughts on this!

13 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

It would take a lot of persuading but I don’t see why the council wouldn’t re-zone a portion of land if and it would be quite easy to support why it would be in the areas interest.

Ground share would be an issue but there’s more options, somewhere like Murrayfield could be an option.

It’s a 2.5 hour journey. Surely something supporters could put up with while a new stadium is built?

I think they would be looking to build a new stadium and using St James' as normal until it is built. I think it's asking a hell of a lot asking supporters to make a 5 hour round trip, for probably one maybe two seasons, whilst the new ground is (using current ground infrastructure) being built, especially when there is no need to do that.

Edited by et tu brute

9 minutes ago, huss9 said:

just keep it central, thats all we ask.

It's a well known fact that the owners have been in communication with the council, before even when the takeover was first disclosed. I'm pretty sure that the Council will be bending over backwards to assist in any re-location. It also suits the Council massively to keep the stadium within the city centre location.

Edited by et tu brute

4 minutes ago, GWN said:

It will always be where it is now imho 

Im not too sure. Don’t think the decision will be anytime soon anyway, however if we do get to be challenging on all fronts, then I don’t think they will have any choice. The cost for extending a few thousand will be massive, would make more sense building a modern all purpose 70-80 thousand new stadium. Think it will be at least two years before they put plans in place anyway. Training ground is the priority. 

I'm not in favour of moving to a new stadium. However if they do decide on that then I just hope they make it huge and an incredible sight to behold. It needs to be architecturally outstanding and personally it should aim to be the largest capacity in the UK.

100k+ to make sure its future proof and certain to be one of the main stadiums for any international tournaments held in UK.

Would hate to leave SJP and hope we never have to, it's our spiritual home, stuck on a hill in the heart of the city and visible from miles around. It's a proper football ground and it's location adds to the whole matchday experience.

The thing that matters to me, is that if we did have to leave, I would like to see NUFC win or celebrate something while still at SJP. I could say goodbye if before she went I seen us celebrating something there. I want history (and the pictures) to record success and heady nights at the old SJP.

It would be missing something (for me) if we celebrated our first success at a new ground - I would just be thinking of being back at SJP.

I really hope we never have to leave the shrine. SJP is something special.

The land above the Metro, who owns that currently? And what's the situation with it? Could our owners yet buy it back and extend the Gallowgate end?

Also wondered just how far back they'd need to build? Guessing basically over the top of Strawberry Place rd?

Seen the facebook group "Gallowgate End Expansion"? Some decent artists impressions on there.

Edited by Karjala

37 minutes ago, DMLeazesender said:

Would hate to leave SJP and hope we never have to, it's our spiritual home, stuck on a hill in the heart of the city and visible from miles around. It's a proper football ground and it's location adds to the whole matchday experience.

Not pulling you up over this, just curious with the development in that area. Is the ground still visible?

2 hours ago, Ben said:

I think one of Ashley's final "Fuck You's" was to prevent the extension of St James Park so he could pocket £2 million (he probably earns that in interest in a few weeks) 

I think the company that bought it have gone bust?