St James' Park

Delima

With the importance of NUFC to the city and region especially post takeover, you would think they would get priority over everything when it comes to land in the city. Surely it would cost pif peanuts to buy all the land on the potential sites and keep it dormant until if and when they start to seriously look at their stadium options.

36 minutes ago, madras said:

How about the Newcastle college Scotchy Road site and move the College up to one of the to let places on the old S&N site ?

Just thinking aloud 

Interesting idea. While since I've been in the college but definitely needed updating. 

I'm sure our owners have given thought to stadium expansion or relocation. They have the political and financial clout to bend things in the direction they want. However, there would be a lot of resistance from fans who wouldn't countenance moving home.

The land to the south and west of the Arena is probably available until it has been developed. There is plenty of space for a 70,000+ stadium, ancillary practice pitches, hospitality and apartment buildings. If they want, they'll get.

13 hours ago, manorpark said:

The empty site shown in my earlier post, next to (to the south of) the current Arena, has just had planning approval for these 1,100 homes and a hotel . . .

Quayside_West_approved_for_1_100_homes_(

Why's the Redgheugh bridge turning off to the right on that pic?

3 hours ago, manorpark said:

Probably the space for them, but the developer is building 'riverside apartments' and already has planning approval for that location.

Unlikely to want to 'swap', and then wait for goodness knows how many years before he can eventually start building.

Nothing is impossible, but . . . 

Property developers work to relatively tight margins, like profits of 15% or less with relatively high risk. Most developers would be likely to be happy to sell a site at an equivalent profit rather than develop it.

3 hours ago, duo said:

The beauty of St James is its location- it's the beating heart of the City. It's what makes it so unique  - it would not be the same if it was moved to the outskirts imo.  There are a lot of clever engineers in this world and am sure a solution can be found to expand in its current location.

Nowhere on the outskirts, eg next to Newcastle Racecourse at Gosforth Park, or near Newcastle Falcons at Kingston Park etc, has been mentioned.

The only places so far mentioned are in the City Centre at Castle Leazes or Newcastle Arena.

Edited by manorpark

27 minutes ago, TomYam said:

I'm sure our owners have given thought to stadium expansion or relocation. They have the political and financial clout to bend things in the direction they want. However, there would be a lot of resistance from fans who wouldn't countenance moving home.

The land to the south and west of the Arena is probably available until it has been developed. There is plenty of space for a 70,000+ stadium, ancillary practice pitches, hospitality and apartment buildings. If they want, they'll get.

Haven't spoke to anyone who'd be against moving if we stayed in the city centre as much as we all love SJP.

It's straight then bears left until you hit the traffic lights.  That image has you turning right before you're off the bridge.

Not a big deal mind :lol: just being picky.

Edited by Wilson

4 minutes ago, madras said:

Haven't spoke to anyone who'd be against moving if we stayed in the city centre as much as we all love SJP.

That's encouraging. A lot on the other forum seem highly resistant. Perhaps just posturing?

Guest neesy111
Just now, Sima said:

:lol:

Genuinely thought it went straight than right.  Not as early as that image portrays, mind.

Yeah, it doesn't turn like that immediately.  Think they've done it to match the curve of the railway bridge as an artists impression.

3 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

I think longer term the Arena site would be best, also would regenerate that part of the city centre as it needs it.

I'd rather sty at SJP if at all possible, but the thought of the stadium there as you come over the bridge definitely has some appeal.

2 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

I think longer term the Arena site would be best, also would regenerate that part of the city centre as it needs it.

Agree entirely. The most exciting aspect of PIF-Reuben ownership has been the prospect of major investment in this great city (not just football) and the commensurate benefits to the wider community.

8 minutes ago, Wilson said:

That pic has blown my mind tbh.

Love owt like that me like.

I used to have as my screensaver a picture taken from the roof of the Milburn, with all of the coast from Blyth down to Sunderland, on the horizon. The original picture was pin sharp, you could zoom right in on details, including the Stadium of shite, unfortunately.

20 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah, aren't the Cheviot Hills like 50/60 miles further north? :lol:

Amazing pic. 

@bigfella, be good if you could dig that one out for us, like. 

Sorry, lost in the mists of time, I'm afraid. I've no idea where I got it from, wish I could remember. The photo was taken just after Level 7 was constructed, iirc.