St James' Park

Delima

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

If you think SJP is an intrinsic, essential part of the club's history and what it means to be a Newcastle supporter and have read enough comments from people wanting us to move, not really.

I don’t think anyone is debating that point and I didn’t read any comments stating people want us to move either. What I have read is people state if demand can’t be satisfied then alternatives should be considered. After all, the club is for everyone not just a chosen few. 

21 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I don’t think anyone is debating that point and I didn’t read any comments stating people want us to move either. What I have read is people state if demand can’t be satisfied then alternatives should be considered. After all, the club is for everyone not just a chosen few. 

Okay, but I have read them.

Edit: I'd also put history and belonging above 'demand and progress' because of how those things have manifested into the tourist fan, no-atmosphere soullessness that the fans of Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham and others now hate and can't do anything about. I think it's naïve to think it wouldn't happen here too. 

I know people have a vision of more people from the community being able to see matches and the atmosphere being retained etc, but I honestly think you'd be kidding yourself about that being the reality if you look around at other clubs.

Edited by Kid Icarus

26 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

This is such a ridiculous comment. 

A tad hyperbolic, maybe. I can see both sides of it but I do think that doing everything possible to expand SJP is the best move to keep everyone happy. I’m a fully paid up member of the ‘fuck Leazes Terrace’ club though [emoji38]

Could buying up the buildings in that chunk of land between the bottom of Pitt Street and Wellington Road and Barrack Road be explored?  We could then rotate the pitch and move it a bit further west freeing up space in front of Leazes Terrace.

We'd need to reroute that section of Barrack Road alongside it but all possibilities should be explored.

Edited by Sima

48 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

The clamour for expansion by some fans is bit weird.  It's not actually needed imo.

Not reckon? I do personally. Brighton game next week sold out within an hour of general sale, there’s loads of people

clamouring for tickets but not able to get them. 

This is us 17th in the league, admittedly on a good run of form but still in a relegation fight. If (hopefully when) we are at the top of the league, with superstar players competing for silverware and have an influx of new supporters from around the world wanting to come to our game, we will need the extra seats. 

I don't think we need a huge extension, but 60-65k is about right IMO. 

52 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

The clamour for expansion by some fans is bit weird.  It's not actually needed imo.

Surely it will be, with increased clamour/demand for tickets? The more fans that get to see the team live, the better, no? 60-65k, as suggested, is about right capacity imo. Know you’re talking about fans perspective, but from the club side, they’ll want increased capacity for a number of reasons too. 

54 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Expansion might not be needed, but an improvement in stadium facilities is and I'm not sure they'd do one without the other.

In fact, in terms of the East Stand, is it even possible to improve without expanding?!

Dear me. Of course expansion is needed. There are probably 15000 people alone who have walked away from attending matches because of Ashley. Then add in all of the new fans that the club are going to attract. If we are turned into another MUFC/LFC then there needs to be a minimum capacity of 65K.

It sounds to me like the ones who say extra capacity is not needed are the ones who already have season tickets.

Guest reefatoon
2 minutes ago, NUFC_Chris said:

Definitely needed. If the clubs doing well, you’d easily get another 10K in. He says in there, ideally they’d like to increase it 60/65K, how in the hell they’ll do it is beyond me.

Squash in smaller seats and ban fatty’s.

Edited by reefatoon

Another thing, in terms of the size of our home crowds we have been overtaken by West Ham, City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs in the last 17 years. Potentially Everton too in the coming years, probably Chelsea at some point. 

An extension is 100% needed. 

4 minutes ago, tgarve said:

It’s needed already- it’s very hard to get tickets 

Yeah. I mentioned the other day that one of me overriding memories of being a young football fan is being unable to get into games. It’s such a unnatural way to follow a team- it really is a shit state of affairs. It’s stayed with me- for years and years I bought season tickets purely because of the hovering threat of not being able to get in again if we got good. My sister has two kids who are just about to age to start going and it would be tragic if the same thing happened to them.

1 hour ago, neesy111 said:

Speak for yourself mate. I’ve got a football mad/NUFC supporting 6 year old. If I can get him a season ticket now, he’s a lifer.

25 minutes ago, NUFC_Chris said:

Definitely needed. If the clubs doing well, you’d easily get another 10K in. He says in there, ideally they’d like to increase it 60/65K, how in the hell they’ll do it is beyond me.

Expand the Gallowgate and for all the East stand is limited due to Leazes Terrace, I wonder if the current stand is the limit to what can happen there.

4 minutes ago, Gaztoon said:

If they get this club where they want.. we'll need to expand because real fans will miss out to cooperate. 

This is an interesting point, as we‘re already seeing to a degree with away tickets. We got 1700 for Brentford today, but approx 1300-1400 went on sale after corporates had took their whack. Was somewhere in the region of 500 out of 2600 for Leeds.

Corporate fans are obviously not to be dismissed, especially in relation to FFP, and sponsorship, but it has to managed.