St James' Park

Delima

over the moon with this news. relocating would be a disaster, in my opinion. and we’d lose a lot of what makes us special. so it’s great to hear they aren’t even considering it.

not overly fussed about expansion either to be honest. I haven’t got a season ticket, but was on a waiting list for my first as a kid, and it just made me want it even more. we don’t always need everything right now.

we didn’t even sell out in the CL last time around. I know things have changed, but complacency will soon creep back in if we see some success. besides, there’ll be plenty of cup games/friendlies for people to attend. implement a good points system and let people earn the right to buy a season ticket.

Expansion is surely fine in everyone's books?

It's not going to be huge, and a poor nufc now attracts full houses, 10k more tops is a very happy medium to get more bums in and keep it full and bouncing.

I'm for it personally, not right now but the prospect, sure.

2 minutes ago, HUGZ said:

over the moon with this news. relocating would be a disaster, in my opinion. and we’d lose a lot of what makes us special. so it’s great to hear they aren’t even considering it.

not overly fussed about expansion either to be honest. I haven’t got a season ticket, but was on a waiting list for my first as a kid, and it just made me want it even more. we don’t always need everything right now.

we didn’t even sell out in the CL last time around. I know things have changed, but complacency will soon creep back in if we see some success. besides, there’ll be plenty of cup games/friendlies for people to attend. implement a good points system and let people earn the right to buy a season ticket.

Expansion = additional revenue and FFP compliance, definitely needed or existing seats become more expensive.

Just now, The Bonk said:

Expansion = additional revenue and FFP compliance, definitely needed or existing seats become more expensive.

relative peanuts though when it comes to FFP. and there’ll always be other ways - rename the stands (not the whole stadium) for starters. I’m sure the Gallowgate was the Brown Ale stand at some point and nobody even noticed.

I’m not against expansion by any means, it’s just not a massive priority for me as a fan. work with what we’ve got and aim to make SJP best in class, regardless of how many seats there is.

29 minutes ago, madras said:

Expand the Gallowgate and for all the East stand is limited due to Leazes Terrace, I wonder if the current stand is the limit to what can happen there.

Agree. A new East Stand could be built, more or less on the same footprint, with a much greater capacity IMO.

26 minutes ago, HUGZ said:

relative peanuts though when it comes to FFP. and there’ll always be other ways - rename the stands (not the whole stadium) for starters. I’m sure the Gallowgate was the Brown Ale stand at some point and nobody even noticed.

I’m not against expansion by any means, it’s just not a massive priority for me as a fan. work with what we’ve got and aim to make SJP best in class, regardless of how many seats there is.

Depends where they expand, been a few years since I've been in SJP, but I'm sure some of the executive lounges could use a facelift and expanding the stadium makes room for more high end options that generate more revenue than sitting against the back wall of the L7 terrace. I hear you, though, there's so much commercial opportunity above stadium expansion that could be explored.

Guest neesy111

The return on investment on a stadium expansion could take a decade to complete it, even more as it's a very complicated process and they cost a lot of money for a 10-15% increase.

Just concentrate on modernization of SJP and also don't increase the number of STs so fans have opportunity to buy tickets for games they can attend to share around.

Edited by neesy111

I personally would still not rule out the possibility of us moving. They will have been made aware of the discussions about the stadium online and thought it best to put them to bed by making this statement now. You are not going to upset many people by saying you're staying and expanding as opposed to saying you're moving that could cause opposition from some sections of fans.

A few things to bare in mind, lets wait to see how long the waiting list becomes for season tickets, how many non-season ticket holders buy tickets for cup matches (a good gauge of how many fans are missing out on league matches), feasibility studies on extending and finally in the article they do say they are going to speak to the council. Who knows what might come up in those talks?

They do mention that the new training ground is about 3 years down the line and whilst I don't believe it's a linear process where we have to build the training ground and then the stadium we are probably looking at three to four years before anything happens in terms of work on the stadium. A lot could happen in the next few years to change their minds.

Edited by macphisto

1 minute ago, neesy111 said:

The return on investment on a stadium expansion could take a decade to complete it, even more as it's a very complicated process and they cost a lot of money for a 10-15% increase.

Just concentrate on modernization of SJP and also don't increase the number of STs so fans have opportunity to buy tickets for games they can attend to share around.

That only matters to the consortium and they're clearly not looking for a return on their investment, at least in the short-medium term.

Expansion would be great, and a lot of renovation to make it more modern would be fantastic. I guess they could change their mind if expanding much proves impossible but moving it is a terrible terrible idea. St James is the best placed stadium in the country, symbolicly on the hill usually reserved for a cathedral. Newcastle would never be the same without it. 

Fuck me I hate Twitter.

Got into a Twitter argument with various people because I merely stated the fact you couldn’t have a road underneath an expanded Gallowgate, for two reasons.

One, the metro underneath (someone was suggesting a tunnel ffs).

Two, the associated terrorist risk with being able to drive underneath a stadium. FYI, SJP actually does have a known terrorist risk associated with it already, underneath the Milburn and Leazes. 

The ROI on a stadium expansion would take ages, but if they expanded and sold the club in 10 years they’d get a fantastic multiple on that investment. You do infrastructure improvements to increase the enterprise value of the business on valuation on exit. 

Expanding the stadium and modernizing is 100% the way to go. 

1 hour ago, TheGuv said:

Fuck me I hate Twitter.

Got into a Twitter argument with various people because I merely stated the fact you couldn’t have a road underneath an expanded Gallowgate, for two reasons.

One, the metro underneath (someone was suggesting a tunnel ffs).

Two, the associated terrorist risk with being able to drive underneath a stadium. FYI, SJP actually does have a known terrorist risk associated with it already, underneath the Milburn and Leazes. 

I mean ….

Barriers stop that issue very easily ? 

of course there is a way to engineer the metro into plans 

a known terrorist risk - you could say that about anything - the stadium itself - the metro - the shops nearby - the club shop etc etc 

1 hour ago, neesy111 said:

baffled why someone would be anti expansion 😂

26 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

Is there any stadium that has a stand higher than our Leazes and Milburn stand? Could it go even higher and still see Shelvey's head from the very top?

Those premium seats where you can't see his head, they'll be worth a pretty penny.

19 hours ago, tgarve said:

I mean ….

Barriers stop that issue very easily ? 

of course there is a way to engineer the metro into plans 

a known terrorist risk - you could say that about anything - the stadium itself - the metro - the shops nearby - the club shop etc etc 

Aye. You’re right. Obviously you know more than the City Council and National Counter Terrorism Security Office who met years ago to discuss the issues that COULD arise from a potential terrorist attack at SJP. Can you name another stadium in the country that you can drive underneath? They estimated that a blast would maybe kill 100-200 but the crush to get out could kill thousands. 

Those barriers on Barrack Road wouldn’t stop a lorry. 

I didn’t say the metro couldn’t be engineered into plans. I said a tunnel under Strawberry Place, so we could keep a road, couldn’t happen as the metro is already there. 

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, David Edgar said:

Pretty sure investment in infrastructure is not included in FFP so we really don't need to worry about that cos our owners will just swallow up that cost.

I'm pretty sure they've said they aren't going to be throwing money around like PSG and City have done.  They'll still want return on investment from anything like a costly stadium expansion.

Refurbishing the current state of SJP has to be priority.

14 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Aye. You’re right. Obviously you know more than the City Council and National Counter Terrorism Security Office who met years ago to discuss the issues that COULD arise from a potential terrorist attack at SJP. Can you name another stadium in the country that you can drive underneath? They estimated that a blast would maybe kill 100-200 but the crush to get out could kill thousands. 

Those barriers on Barrack Road wouldn’t stop a lorry. 

I didn’t say the metro couldn’t be engineered into plans. I said a tunnel under Strawberry Place, so we could keep a road, couldn’t happen as the metro is already there. 

Villa Park has a road going under one of their stands doesn’t it?

Spurs’ new stadium has a car park underneath it.

Also those barriers are designed to stop a truck.

Edited by Stifler

But they've committed to spending on the training ground and stadium as well.  And you've gotta invest to make returns.  

Plus, match day revenue is gonna be essential towards making those returns, so a proper investment and maximisation of capacity is gonna be key.