St James' Park

Delima

3 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Beautiful but lop-sided and unable to be extended. We've got the potential for a whole new generation of fans to be locked out and miss out on experiences the majority of us took for granted. Time to think bigger.

Let's see what's possible at SJP first, before we bin off 130 years of history for something shinier, eh? 

15 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Not when people are missing out it's not though. If St James can be extended to 62,000 (I think the cost would be too much for such a small increase and we don't have a Wembley to totally redesign the whole stadium) then fair enough, but when supporters are missing out, then it's time to have a major rethink. I agree with others it needs to be central though.

It's not what? An essential part of being a Newcastle fan for me? :lol:

I understand the urge to want to move and get more fans in and it's always framed as being for kids and low cost tickets etc, but I've said it before, judging by other clubs it's much more likely that fans and kids actually end up being priced out and the demographics of those at matches changing to corporates, tourists, and the middle class than it becoming more inclusive.

Then it ends up that you've sacrificed the the heart and soul of the club for nothing.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

It's not what? An essential part of being a Newcastle fan for me? :lol:

I understand the urge to want to move and get more fans in and it's always framed as being for kids and low cost tickets etc, but I've said it before, judging by other clubs it's much more likely that fans and kids actually end up being priced out and the demographics of those at matches changes.

The essential part for being a fan to me is the team and the support first and second with the ground third. Wasn't having a go at you as everyone is entitled to their opinion, and as I said if they can increase the stadium then fine (I think it will not be cost effective though).

When you have so many fans who were going for 1,000 tickets and many more who didn't meet the criteria, then something has to be done (this is before anything major has happened also in terms of actual success). I was a season ticket holder from when the east stand opened until the season before Rafa left. Yeah maybe some will say I should have kept my ticket (even though I hated everything the club had become - most on here though were having digs at people who did go), but the fact I may struggle to get a match by match ticket never mind a season ticket due to the size of the stadium, means (in my opinion) that something has to be done. Look at the option of increasing the current stadium first, but if that's not feasable, then a new centrally located stadium needs to be found.

I'm happy as long as it is in Newcastle. The club isn't rinsed of ambition and the supporters are given pure passion 24/7.

I has been an exhausting ride. One that nearly had me chuck in the towel completely. Ashley totally fuked my head up.

So I really can't be arsed chowing on about a move. If we move we move. End of.

1 hour ago, Dokko said:

Imagine pulling in on the train as it slows down. Be great for away fans as the 1st thing they see.

Never mind pulling up on the train. Could build a giant jetty and pull up on a boat 🙂

40 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Never mind pulling up on the train. Could build a giant jetty and pull up on a boat 🙂

Ah man that would be class. See loads of players and ownera boats docked outside like Monaco. 

Imagine a 75,000 seater stadium by the river, with a ferry port shipping fans up the Tyne, with collosal sandstone neo-classical features reflecting the heritage of the city architecture, yet also being the most state of the art, futuristic stadia on the planet. 

Jesus. Wet tip material. 

1 hour ago, et tu brute said:

The essential part for being a fan to me is the team and the support first and second with the ground third. Wasn't having a go at you as everyone is entitled to their opinion, and as I said if they can increase the stadium then fine (I think it will not be cost effective though).

When you have so many fans who were going for 1,000 tickets and many more who didn't meet the criteria, then something has to be done (this is before anything major has happened also in terms of actual success). I was a season ticket holder from when the east stand opened until the season before Rafa left. Yeah maybe some will say I should have kept my ticket (even though I hated everything the club had become - most on here though were having digs at people who did go), but the fact I may struggle to get a match by match ticket never mind a season ticket due to the size of the stadium, means (in my opinion) that something has to be done. Look at the option of increasing the current stadium first, but if that's not feasable, then a new centrally located stadium needs to be found.

No one will ever truly know how essential SJP is to them until it's taken away. All I would say is ask any long-term Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham, or Man City fan whether they prefer their new sterilidome over their previous ground. You'd be absolutely mental to not take that consensus into account.

Extending the Gallowgate seems like it'll please everyone though and cost less than a new stadium.

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

No one will ever truly know how essential SJP is to them until it's taken away. All I would say is ask any long-term Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham, or Man City fan whether they prefer their new sterilidome over their previous ground. You'd be absolutely mental to not take that consensus into account.

Extending the Gallowgate seems like it'll please everyone though and cost less than a new stadium.

As I said you're entitled to your opinion, if St James can be extended fine (may cost less, but it will still be an extortionate cost due to the current location and the buildings surrounding it, the returns would not be cost effective compared to a new stadium either), if not then we need to move. Leave it there though as we obviouisly have different views.

Just now, Shearergol said:

If we want to be a world elite club, we need to move. It’s as simple as that imo.

Everything moves on. Life doesn't stand still.

If the time has come for the whole club to progress from where it has been. To what it is about to become.

Then build a new church.

2 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Just take over this whole area and get it done.

Screenshot 2022-06-28 at 18.36.47.jpg

Here are the recently approved plans for the area to the south of the Arena. The Arena can be seen marked on the plans just to the north of the development . . . 

Development to the south of the Arena.jpg

Before we talk about an expansion/move, we need to establish exactly how much demand there actually is. I think Neesy made the point that some people would have had multiple browser’s open in the hope of getting tickets so the 30,000 demand might not be quite that.

5 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Before we talk about an expansion/move, we need to establish exactly how much demand there actually is. I think Neesy made the point that some people would have had multiple browser’s open in the hope of getting tickets so the 30,000 demand might not be quite that.

There would be twice as many who didn't know about it, can't work a computer or forgot (like me) and those who thought they stood no chance. 

21 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

No one will ever truly know how essential SJP is to them until it's taken away. 

It is special to me, for a variety of reasons links with people no longer here, family, friends, and my own history/development. But it isn’t the stadium of my youth. It had to change (thank fuck!) as our needs changed. So it’s a bit of a Trigger’s broom thing really. 

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I was dead set against a stadium move but as long as it’s city centre-ish, I’d be all for it. Something around the 70-75k mark is going to be needed.

We can get around that staying put.

If we move it has got be the biggest in the country. Just to piss everyone off.

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

There would be twice as many who didn't know about it, can't work a computer or forgot (like me) and those who thought they stood no chance. 

As well as loads who weren’t eligible. There’s also new support as well which although people don’t like, will be essential as we move forward.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

3 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

If we want to be a world elite club, we need to move. It’s as simple as that imo.

Really though? How big a stadium are you after? 

We already have a fantastic stadium in a pretty unique city location, which we're filling every week and generating an electric atmosphere in. If we're able to up the capacity to ~60,000 home fans that would be ideal and not beyond the realms of possibility, imo. That's before any talk of reconfiguration and/or changes to incorporate standing. Let's capitalise and improve what we've already got. 

The idea of a new build 80,000 stadium elsewhere simply isn't one I'm comfortable with. It'd destroy the atmosphere and we'd lose that feeling of belonging everyone knows about when they enter SJP. Sod being an expensive place for wealthy day-trippers. 

6 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

You're not counting people who did not qualify for the chance today though.

1 minute ago, NEEJ said:

Really though? How big a stadium are you after? 

We already have a fantastic stadium in a pretty unique city location, which we're filling every week and generating an electric atmosphere in. If we're able to up the capacity to ~60,000 home fans that would be ideal and not beyond the realms of possibility, imo. That's before any talk of reconfiguration and/or changes to incorporate standing. Let's capitalise and improve what we've already got. 

The idea of a new build 80,000 stadium elsewhere simply isn't one I'm comfortable with. It'd destroy the atmosphere and we'd lose that feeling of belonging everyone knows about when they enter SJP. Sod being an expensive place for wealthy day-trippers. 

Do you have a season ticket?

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Definitely. I'd love the chance of 2 together for me and the boy but I knew that's out of the question so I didn't even bother. The demand is huge, just wait until the friendlies go on sale, they'll both sell out within an hour, nailed on.