St James' Park

Delima

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

There would be twice as many who didn't know about it, can't work a computer or forgot (like me) and those who thought they stood no chance. 

This is true. There’s also the likes of myself who did t even try thinking I had no chance. Not to mention what allowing more releaxed ticket allocation rules could do with potentially cheaper prices. I’m not saying it’s not accurate but We need a better way of determining what e actual number is.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Any way to check the stadium capacity by stand? Would be interesting to see what the capacity would actually be if we mirrored the Leazes and Leazes west corner over the Gallowgate and Gallowgate west corner.

Gallowgate is around 7k I think

Just now, NEEJ said:

Nope. 

Surprised you have that view. Surely you want to give as many opportunities for as many people to go ? It’s all very well saying it’s tradition, history, etc, but if I’m only going to be able to go a handful of times that means Jack shit now. Selfish maybe but I don’t care.

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Surprised you have that view. Surely you want to give as many opportunities for as many people to go ? It’s all very well saying it’s tradition, history, etc, but if I’m only going to be able to go a handful of times that means Jack shit now. Selfish maybe but I don’t care.

Of course I do, but there has to be some sort of balance. The 60,000 home fans bit I mentioned would give us the opportunity to have 45,000-50,000 ST holders and 10,000 tickets for general sale. If demand was regularly outstripping that then obviously there'd be more of a case to answer for a larger scale expansion/move. 

I was absolutely gutted about not getting a ST this morning. I also understand that this is very much a good thing and will make it all the sweeter when I do get one. I'll be getting a membership and going to as many games as I can next season. It's not ideal, but I'm just buzzing to actually care again. 

The fact our arguments are now about capacities rather than Steve fucking Bruce and Mike Ashley is very much a good thing. :lol:

Wonder how much an extension (if it’s even possible) would cost. Could be a good way to test the water for a few years if it wasn’t going to cost too much. If we’re still regularly at capacity then they’ll have a decision to make. They might just decide sod it, better to have 10k unhappy fans not being able to see them club over spending half a billion on a new stadium.

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Wonder how much an extension (if it’s even possible) would cost. Could be a good way to test the water for a few years if it wasn’t going to cost too much. If we’re still regularly at capacity then they’ll have a decision to make. They might just decide sod it, better to have 10k unhappy fans not being able to see them club over spending half a billion on a new stadium.

I'm sure they said pre Ashley it wasn't cost effective.

55 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Any way to check the stadium capacity by stand? Would be interesting to see what the capacity would actually be if we mirrored the Leazes and Leazes west corner over the Gallowgate and Gallowgate west corner.

Was 36k before so if it's went up 14k by doing up half the ground then should go up another 14k by doing the opposite half. So at a guess I reckon around 66k?

31 minutes ago, madras said:

I'm sure they said pre Ashley it wasn't cost effective.

Yeah but our definition of cost effective has changed with the takeover.

Personally i think every single possible way of expanding the ground should be looked at exhaustively and only when they have all been ruled out, should a move be considererd.

Just now, Lazarus said:

Yeah but our definition of cost effective has changed with the takeover.

Personally i think every single possible way of expanding the ground should be looked at exhaustively and only when they have all been ruled out, should a move be considererd.

Fair point :thup:

If we need to move in order to be an elite club, I don't want to be an elite club. I don't think I want to be an 'elite club' anyway, tbh. It's a rank term and all those that are elite clubs are rank themselves. 

Less sassy: we don't need to move to be successful, imo. 

24 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If we need to move in order to be an elite club, I don't want to be an elite club. I don't think I want to be an 'elite club' anyway, tbh. It's a rank term and all those that are elite clubs are rank themselves. 

Less sassy: we don't need to move to be successful, imo. 

For me it’s more to allow fans to actually see their team. If demand continues. 

And moving out of town would be a no. 

So with this huge demand for tickets should this change how we view the protests? Or lack there of? 30-40k people not going to games doesn’t seem as pathetic as originally thought. Not that more couldn’t / shouldn’t still have been done.

4 hours ago, NEEJ said:

Really though? How big a stadium are you after? 

We already have a fantastic stadium in a pretty unique city location, which we're filling every week and generating an electric atmosphere in. If we're able to up the capacity to ~60,000 home fans that would be ideal and not beyond the realms of possibility, imo. That's before any talk of reconfiguration and/or changes to incorporate standing. Let's capitalise and improve what we've already got. 

The idea of a new build 80,000 stadium elsewhere simply isn't one I'm comfortable with. It'd destroy the atmosphere and we'd lose that feeling of belonging everyone knows about when they enter SJP. Sod being an expensive place for wealthy day-trippers. 

The city could do with a few hundred wealthy day-trippers. Granted, 30,000 of them would affect the atmosphere in the stadium.

9 minutes ago, RS said:

Ground expansion definitely happening. No details how or by how many but it’s happening. 

New info, or just what the owners have previously said about needing expansion?