St James' Park

Delima

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I’m pretty sure the last expansion started during the 99/00 season and was ready for the start of 00/01.

it was aye - sure the first game with level 7 was midweek vs Derby?! Which seems odd for the start of the season as it’s normally two weekend games in a row?! Cordone scored iirc too?! 

Guest neesy111
3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I’m pretty sure the last expansion started during the 99/00 season and was ready for the start of 00/01.

Started in 98/99.

Like a lot I couldn’t get a ticket the other day I but I wouldn’t want a ticket to any other stadium. It is so iconic and so representative of the club; a symbol of the marriage of the east and west ends of the city and the unity that gives us that spread into Durham, Northumberland and beyond. It’s an amazing spot

14 minutes ago, Paully said:

it was aye - sure the first game with level 7 was midweek vs Derby?! Which seems odd for the start of the season as it’s normally two weekend games in a row?! Cordone scored iirc too?! 

Sounds right. I recall going up to the top row to watch a reserve match featuring the newly signed Nolberto Solano. It was like watching a chess master, the way he pinged the ball around. Vision and technique were quite incredible. 

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

How will an expanded Gallowgate in the mirror image of the Leazes end change the atmosphere ? The Gallowgate end significantly creates a better atmosphere due to its lower roof, but this could be down to the more vocal fans being in that end also. I would worry though that the atmosphere would suffer with the current  structure just simply continued around to the Gallowgate.

Expansion is a must, but the current Leazes development has never been conducive to creating a good atmosphere and keeping noise in the ground.

Agree with this. Taking the cowshed roof off the Gallowgate will definitely make the SJP atmosphere worse but it looks like it will be a price we have to pay. But if they do build a glass wall on top of the East Stand then that will help to keep some of the noise within the stadium.

24 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Well, tongue in cheek. This is the SJP/Gallowgate of my youth which I can feel sad to have lost, but at the same time I’m really glad too 🤷‍♂️

4811F8FE-D007-4AF6-8976-00F62B384A87.jpeg.94388c43a881ec56bd5b0b9ff92338e4.jpeg

Think I’d have the same mixed feelings if we moved (preferably, after yesterday’s debacle, to somewhere I could get a fecking season ticket for!) 

I remember those days well. Loved standing back in the day, I'd vote to bring it back for those that want. Me though, I'm sitting.

Edited by madras

2 minutes ago, madras said:

I remember those days well. Loved standing back in the day, I'd vote to bring it back for those that want. Me though, I'm sitting.

‘Graduated’ from half way down in front of scoreboard (usually to be found squashed against those horrendous concrete barriers, or getting moved around like a baby turtle in the surf) to 🎵The Corner🎵. No matter when I went (days of ‘oh do you fancy going to the match?’), or with how many, there were always others from Felling there. 

4 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

‘Graduated’ from half way down in front of scoreboard (usually to be found squashed against those horrendous concrete barriers, or getting moved around like a baby turtle in the surf) to 🎵The Corner🎵. No matter when I went (days of ‘oh do you fancy going to the match?’), or with how many, there were always others from Felling there. 

I'll not have a word said against those barriers. They were my view point as a 7yr old with my dad, middle of the Gallowgate.......even as he sent me to the bogs on my own and I couldn't find my way back, first league game. Coventry, opening game 74/75.

Sorry, for boring. I think I've retold that story at least 6 times this year.

Edited by madras

21 minutes ago, Ben said:

Streaght owa the top 

The Amsterdam Arena has a road running under.  The problem at SJP is the Metro line underneath - this makes it a civil engineering nightmare.  I don't think extending the Gallowgate is likely; it definitely wouldn't be worth it from a cost perspective.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The Amsterdam Arena has a road running under.  The problem at SJP is the Metro line underneath - this makes it a civil engineering nightmare.  I don't think extending the Gallowgate is likely; it definitely wouldn't be worth it from a cost perspective.

As was pointed out the other night (Lazarus) cost isn't really an issue if they want it. Under Hall and Shepherd it was explored and was doable but cost prohibitive.

I’m not sure we would even do a cost/benefit analysis in financial terms. It’ll be more like, can we afford to do this and is it possible.

It probably won’t benefit the club that much financially, but it doesn’t need to. It’s something we can do for the fans.  

Guest neesy111
3 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Any reason given why the club only put 1k season tickets up for sale? Any link to a reduced capacity linked to ST holders?

Because almost everyone would've renewed and locking up seats for ST's reduces accessibility for more fans to go to games.

2 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Any reason given why the club only put 1k season tickets up for sale? Any link to a reduced capacity linked to ST holders?

As said before, more tickets for sponsors competitions, more corporate seats, possibly more boxes, future moving of away fans, railed seating. More flexibility the club has the easier to move people around out their seats. Also now that it’s unofficially confirmed they are expanding the ground then they will want to keep seats free incase they temporarily need to move ST holders whilst work ongoing. Or simply they are gambling each game will be a sellout so they’ll make more money selling memberships separate then match to match tickets at higher than ST price. Also gives more people a chance to see a few games per season.

5 hours ago, RS said:

Ground expansion definitely happening. No details how or by how many but it’s happening. 

Someone said to me about 3 weeks ago that they’d heard that the club were going to release very few new season tickets as they are intending on increasing the capacity of the ground and won’t be able to house more season ticket holders than what there are when the works are taking place.

The person normally talks a load of shite so I wrote it off as bollocks. Probably is tbf. :lol: 

49 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

It should be "where did the club find these extra 1000 tickets ?"