St James' Park

Delima

I honestly don't think we will have any choice but to build a new stadium in the future. I think the costs of extending St James for a relatively small increase in capacity, just won't make it cost effective. The opportunity for significant increased revenue streams through sponsorship with a new stadium is very hard to ignore either. Most importantly though is the fact that there are going to be a large number of supporters currently and future (youth), who will be unable to attend on a regular basis due to capacity limits. 

This is all subject to the owners future plans, which I honestly think is to be one of the biggest, best and most successful clubs in the world. 

Edited by et tu brute

35 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I honestly don't think we will have any choice but to build a new stadium in the future. I think the costs of extending St James for a relatively small increase in capacity, just won't make it cost effective. The opportunity for significant increased revenue streams through sponsorship with a new stadium is very hard to ignore either. Most importantly though is the fact that there are going to be a large number of supporters currently and future (youth), who will be unable to attend on a regular basis due to capacity limits. 

This is all subject to the owners future plans, which I honestly think is to be one of the biggest, best and most successful clubs in the world. 

I have to agree. It’s clear that the game is about to enter yet another level, where there are a handful of super-elite clubs with mega-stadiums. If our owners really do want to be the number 1 club in the game then SJP just won’t cut it.

Either we find a way to bulldoze some of the stuff around SJP and completely rebuild it, or I can see us moving. All depending exactly how ambitious the Saudis are, of course.

Whilst it's only right that they explore alternatives if as mentioned above, they want to be the very best club going forward. 

I just really love St James' park tbh. I love the way it has been moulded around its surroundings over the years. I love the fact it is fairly central and it really makes the city more vibrant on match days, It's unrivalled in that regard.

I know it's unlikely, but imagine a stadium absolute missions away with fuck all around it, absolutely soul-less.

I reckon they will tart st James up whilst planning a move elsewhere in near future.

Just now, NE27 said:

Whilst it's only right that they explore alternatives if as mentioned above, they want to be the very best club going forward. 

I just really love St James' park tbh. I love the way it has been moulded around its surroundings over the years. I love the fact it is fairly central and it really makes the city more vibrant on match days, It's unrivalled in that regard.

I know it's unlikely, but imagine a stadium absolute missions away with fuck all around it, absolutely soul-less.

I reckon they will tart st James up whilst planning a move elsewhere in near future.

The location is both a blessing and a curse. I really don’t want us to move but begrudgingly would for something that will take us to the next level and is beyond what SJP can ever be (75k+).

We need a stadium which allows us to meet the demand of genuine NUFC fans. I’d hate for us to move to a new stadium to meet the needs of the plastics and day trippers we will no doubt acquire along the way.

If SJP can be expanded to 65k then that would be sufficient for the foreseeable future.

its location for me, love the fact you can walk to SJP in 10 mins from anywhere in the city

id be happy however with moving the ground slightly into leazes park and im sure that complaining wifey must be deed now.

there has to be a caveat though like making the land at gallowgate once the stadium has moved north and slightly left 500 metres (as thats all) it needs looking at the map into a huge fan park like box park at wembley or the stack etc

20220530_090445.jpg

Stadium footprint would obviously be much smaller than that and possibly similar to what it is now but in a different config.

I would also suggest they would do what most other clubs have done (mackems as well) and build down when building a new stadium so that when you enter the lower bowl of the stand you enter actually halfway up

Edited by Cookie1892
Added pic

1 hour ago, bowlingcrofty said:

We need a stadium which allows us to meet the demand of genuine NUFC fans. I’d hate for us to move to a new stadium to meet the needs of the plastics and day trippers we will no doubt acquire along the way.

If SJP can be expanded to 65k then that would be sufficient for the foreseeable future.

This is it, like. There's a sweet spot between being the stadium big enough to ensure most, if not all, our fans who want to attend can and being so big that the atmosphere takes a hit. It's absolutely rocking at the moment. I'll never understand the clamour from some to build a futuristic spaceship elsewhere just because it'd be bigger and more shiny than SJP. 

Let's improve what we've already got and see how it goes, because let's be honest, we're by no means maximising the current spaces within SJP. 

1 minute ago, Papavasiliou said:

I know Leezes Terrace is listed and all that but is there any mechanism to get that undone?

Obviously it's a horrific president to set but the reality is that money talks and we now have basically unlimited money now.

0% chance itll be knocked down. Rightly so too.

19 minutes ago, Papavasiliou said:

I know Leezes Terrace is listed and all that but is there any mechanism to get that undone?

Obviously it's a horrific president to set but the reality is that money talks and we now have basically unlimited money now.

Don't see what it's got to do with Trump like?

5 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Sick of the same fucking discussion every couple of weeks.

We’re not moving - Mehrdad said it recently, so why do people think we’re going to?

Fuck me

Nice conversation to have though, it was only last year the removal of the Gallowgate pigeon was hot news, now we are discussing the possibility or not of a multi million pound stadium that could be the envy of the world on the banks of the Tyne or staying and improving St James.

4 minutes ago, Ben said:

Nice conversation to have though, it was only last year the removal of the Gallowgate pigeon was hot news, now we are discussing the possibility or not of a multi million pound stadium that could be the envy of the world on the banks of the Tyne or staying and improving St James.

That pigeon deserved grade 1 listed status tbh

I know we're a million miles away from them, but remember how much the m*ckems loved the SoS when it was first built. And think about how terribly it has aged and how shit the location is. They pine for Roker Park now.

SJP is in prime location and has a soul about it that no new stadium could have. We must never lose that.

Extend, wharever it takes.

6 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I know we're a million miles away from them, but remember how much the m*ckems loved the SoS when it was first built. And think about how terribly it has aged and how shit the location is. They pine for Roker Park now.

SJP is in prime location and has a soul about it that no new stadium could have. We must never lose that.

Extend, wharever it takes.

In all fairness the SOL location isn’t that bad, it’s as close to Sunderland retail core as much as SJP is to Northumberland Street. The difference is the river separates them.

31 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Sick of the same fucking discussion every couple of weeks.

We’re not moving - Mehrdad said it recently, so why do people think we’re going to?

Fuck me

yeah but what about this angle.  Instead of moving Leazes Terrace...............we move the whole of St James to a new site,  then we knock down the east stand and can then build a new stand.   Reckon we could get the stadium moved in the off season........just need a lot of flat bed trucks and a few pneumatic drills.        

Edited by Awaymag

Guest neesy111
6 hours ago, Stifler said:

In all fairness the SOL location isn’t that bad, it’s as close to Sunderland retail core as much as SJP is to Northumberland Street. The difference is the river separates them.

For the price it cost to build its a brilliant stadium.

Guest neesy111
20 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Looks shite imo 

This, absolutely zero character to it unlike the previous bernebeu