St James' Park

Delima

7 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Can't remember who it was on here, might have been Sewelley pointed out that the Leazes Terrace section of this would still be more or less up to their front doors and completely restrict the light getting to them. If you take the designs and put it over the map it's right like, it wouldn't work I don't think. Big shame. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Stage 1: remove all existing character

Stage 2: replace with symmetrical bowl

I agree and also disagree with that tbh.

Ok it's famed for its lopsidedness, but there is enough character about St James' to still look mint with full symmetry.

This only matters if the demand outstrips the availability now or if we are successful. 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Can't remember who it was on here, might have been Sewelley pointed out that the Leazes Terrace section of this would still be more or less up to their front doors and completely restrict the light getting to them. If you take the designs and put it over the map it's right like, it wouldn't work I don't think. Big shame. 

Not if you want the East Stand retained, which I think we should. I know that with every redevelopment through the decades, some historical aspect of the stadium has been lost, and that's the nature of the beast, but it would be nice for some of the character from the last century to be retained. The East Stand is the most distinctive example of that (cos it's the oldest, obviously).

Extend the Gallowgate if possible and make other gains through interior alterations; move the corporate offering, bring in safe standing, etc. And leave it at that, imo.

Not if you want the East Stand retained, which I think we should. I know that with every redevelopment through the decades, some historical aspect of the stadium has been lost, and that's the nature of the beast, but it would be nice for some of the character from the last century to be retained. The East Stand is the most distinctive example of that (cos it's the oldest, obviously).

Extend the Gallowgate if possible and make other gains through interior alterations; move the corporate offering, bring in safe standing, etc. And leave it at that, imo.

Said  it before, but I love the juxtaposition of the Brutalist architecture of the East Stand and the glory of a Georgian Leazes Terrace.

I wouldn't be against that like, but I also don't like brutalism and think it looks rank and has no atmosphere so wouldn't object to it going. 

Just now, Decky said:

How does that work with demolishing the lower level of the two large stands and keeping that layout? Raise the pitch? 

Yeah the cross-section drawing says raise the pitch by 6m.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Very rough photoshop obviously, but this is what it would be like to scale. Very inventive idea and it would be amazing if it didn't completely restrict the light to Leazes Terrace. SJP.thumb.jpg.88f50b30a5d031ef63c56392b323e695.jpg

Didnt seem to bother the strawberry when the new flats were coming in. 

Maybe get them some always on Phillips day lights as a compromise? 

Think I'll just settle for extending the Gallowgate but slightly bigger than the Leazes and remodel the East Stand to be steeper, deeper or have an Olympic Gallery at the old Wembley type feature which must be possible for a few extra thousand and stick at 62-65k.

10 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Maybe get them some always on Phillips day lights as a compromise? 

No one lives in The Strawberry. :pow:

The main barrier to the Gallowgate expansion is that the Strawberry Place development has resi facing out - which in terms of outlook and light could scupper the whole thing because you'd have to build more or less right up against it.

At the moment the developers seem to be pressing on ahead with works to the site. There's even a new planning application in to amend the scheme. Whether this is all a ruse to to drive up the land value and then sell back to the club... who knows. Certainly if you're a developer it is much lower risk to just cash in than to build a load of offices and housing right now.

Edited by ponsaelius

4 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Here is the Strawberry now surrounded by the new "Home Group Headquarters" Office Block . . . 

Home Group Headquarters Offices and the Strawberry Pub.jpg

6 minutes ago, manorpark said:

Here is the Strawberry now surrounded by the new "Home Group Headquarters" Office Block . . . 

Home Group Headquarters Offices and the Strawberry Pub.jpg

that blocks 2 sides, expansion would only block 1. Seems were on to a winner.

9 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

The main barrier to the Gallowgate expansion is that the Strawberry Place development has resi facing out - which in terms of outlook and light could scupper the whole thing because you'd have to build more or less right up against it.

At the moment the developers seem to be pressing on ahead with works to the site. There's even a new planning application in to amend the scheme. Whether this is all a ruse to to drive up the land value and then sell back to the club... who knows. Certainly if you're a developer it is much lower risk to just cash in than to build a load of offices and housing right now.

Here is a CGI of what has been approved to be built on the "St James' Metro Station Car Park" site.

The local media keep calling this 'Strawberry Place', which it is not called. Strawberry Place has already been built around the Strawberry Pub (it is now the Home Group Office Block).

The St James' Park Metro Station Project (seen here) is called "One St James' . . .

St James' Park Metro Station Car Park - Developments planned.jpg

Edited by manorpark

Just now, manorpark said:

Here is a CGI of what has been approved to be built on the "St James' Metro Station Car Park" site.

The local media keep calling this 'Strawberry Place', which it is not called. Strawberry Place has already been built around the Strawberry Pub (it is now the Home Group Office Block).

The St James' Park Metro Staion Project (seen here) is called "One St James' . . .

St James' Park Metro Station Car Park - Developments planned.jpg

Properly fucks the “Cathedral on the hill” view.

1 minute ago, Nucasol said:

Properly fucks the “Cathedral on the hill” view.

Best start taking torches to games to find the stadium with all that light robbed from us.