St James' Park

Delima

Always been of the opinion that we should stay at SJP but if we cant extend the east stand then Id probably prefer a new stadium if it could match Spurs. Something of 80k plus and the way Saudis always want the best I think it would look amazing down by the Tyne

3 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Need to build the new ground on the Arena site. Screw whatever plans the council have already agreed to. Just plop a 80,000 seater stadium down there. Will look unreal coming across the Redheugh.

Was discussing this with some mates and we all thought it’d be great location and like you say look stunning.

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Was discussing this with some mates and we all thought it’d be great location and like you say look stunning.

City centre enough and would breathe a bit of life into that part of town, still wouldn’t want to move though. Wouldn’t feel right.

2 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Just take over this whole area and get it done.

Screenshot 2022-06-28 at 18.36.47.jpg

Imagine pulling in on the train as it slows down. Be great for away fans as the 1st thing they see.

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

The bars down that way would get some different clientele to usual, like. I'd be all for it. Imagine the noise travelling up and down the river as well.

Loads of football lads out down the scene, be class. Get some boats on from the Tyne Bridge and a needless landmark foot bridge over to the staithes, for absolutely no practical reason, and you’re sorted.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Spurs is unbelievable, best stadium I’ve been to. Including Camp Nou and Bernabeu. 

Camp Nou is a shit hole, but such an iconic stadium. The best I’ve been to is the Emirates. I’d be 100% against a move away from SJP!

Council should be bending over backwards to accommodate a new stadium considering the extra revenue it would bring to the city on a matchday.  You’re potentially into the millions.

Edited by Sima

Spurs stadium is alright but the only thing stopping it being like any other boring modern stadium is that it's plonked more or less where the old one is so retains some of the identity.

Large new build stadiums are nearly always shite atmosphere vacuums full of too many tourists - and that is no different.

Edited by ponsaelius

I just really don't like large new build stadiums. From my experience they're universally soulless and crap. An architects firm can't augment the layers of history and context that comes from having a stadium develop over a hundred years on the same site surrounded by the same streets. 

They're created in the imagine of the modern game. Built to maximise corporate income, concessions, and enhance the 'matchday experience'. I get it because it drives income which is necessary. But personally I have no time for it. The atmosphere is sucked out of the ground by the design and ultimately the nature of matchgoers in stadia of that size. And I honestly couldn't care less about 'matchday experience' in terms of food and drink etc. If you have any sense there's a thousand other places in the city that are better. Should be 90 mins of footy and out.

There's some decent new build grounds at non-league and lower league level as there's no intent for them to be anything other than what they are. But even then they're often ruined by the chosen location which is completely disassociated from the town they serve.

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I just really don't like large new build stadiums. From my experience they're universally soulless and crap. An architects firm can't augment the layers of history and context that comes from having a stadium develop over a hundred years on the same site surrounded by the same streets. 

They're created in the imagine of the modern game. Built to maximise corporate income, concessions, and enhance the 'matchday experience'. I get it because it drives income which is necessary. But personally I have no time for it. The atmosphere is sucked out of the ground by the design and ultimately the nature of matchgoers in stadia of that size. And I honestly couldn't care less about 'matchday experience' in terms of food and drink etc. If you have any sense there's a thousand other places in the city that are better. Should be 90 mins of footy and out.

There's some decent new build grounds at non-league and lower league level as there's no intent for them to be anything other than what they are. But even then they're often ruined by the chosen location which is completely disassociated from the town they serve.

Bang on, man. 

30 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

No move, not ever. It's an essential part of what it is to support Newcastle for me.

Not when people are missing out it's not though. If St James can be extended to 62,000 (I think the cost would be too much for such a small increase and we don't have a Wembley to totally redesign the whole stadium) then fair enough, but when supporters are missing out, then it's time to have a major rethink. I agree with others it needs to be central though.

50 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

It looks brilliant where it is. 

Beautiful but lop-sided and unable to be extended. We've got the potential for a whole new generation of fans to be locked out and miss out on experiences the majority of us took for granted. Time to think bigger.

My tune remains the same. I'd wholeheartedly support a move on the condition that:

1. The stadium is built in the city centre. The Arena site is ideal as it's very close to the station, there's plenty of room for ancillary buildings, parking, decent infrastructure and has a spectacularly prominent riverside location. The economic boost to this part of town would be immense.

2. The stadium is of outstanding design. A capacity of 75,000 would be ideal.

3. The vacant site at St.James's Park is largely incorporated into an extended Leazes Park. I believe Newcastle has fewer trees and less public park space than any other large city in the UK and this would go some way to ameliorating that woeful statistic.