St James' Park

Delima

9 minutes ago, jack j said:

Mentioned on the atmosphere thread

But imagine it just stays the same and those lower down just carry on sitting but now in their rail seats..

Think it's quite a possibility meself ?

Surely not, but then the fascination some of our fans have with a bit of grey plastic makes me dubious that it could happen. 

Just now, Wilson said:

I mean how many seats are in the SE in total.... wondering if it is the whole corner being converted. 

Sure it’s 3 of the back blocks and one of the lower ones, going from an email a mate received whose seat is in the SE corner 

Upper of c d e and f lower block b

9 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Sure it’s 3 of the back blocks and one of the lower ones, going from an email a mate received whose seat is in the SE corner 

9 minutes ago, Wilson said:

I mean how many seats are in the SE in total.... wondering if it is the whole corner being converted. 

There isn’t any ‘conversion’ is there? Maybe just adding rails in front? I read that seats have to remain as they have in other grounds, so that people can still sit if they want to. 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I don't even think the low number is a negative, it's only good news imo. If it's a success I'm sure it'll expand.

what do you think the club would define as a success?

it might be enough to get the H&S nerds off their back with regards to people illegally standing. hopefully that's not the only reason they're doing it.

20 minutes ago, jack j said:

Mentioned on the atmosphere thread

But imagine it just stays the same and those lower down just carry on sitting but now in their rail seats..

Think it's quite a possibility meself ?

It only takes one person down there to stand up, then the person behind has to stand, then the one behind them, and so on. And they can’t be told to sit down now…

1 minute ago, Big River said:

what do you think the club would define as a success?

it might be enough to get the H&S nerds off their back with regards to people illegally standing. hopefully that's not the only reason they're doing it.

Hard to know really. It could be something as simple as there being no health and safety issues giving them the green light, or it could be an actual improvement in the atmosphere. 

I imagine the club will like the prospect of - once health and safety is content - raising crowd density. More income for less stadium footprint should be a good motivator for them.

51 minutes ago, Manxst said:

There isn’t any ‘conversion’ is there? Maybe just adding rails in front? I read that seats have to remain as they have in other grounds, so that people can still sit if they want to. 

They'll have to reconfigure the seating, like. I can't see how they'd work/fit as is. 

2 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

They'll have to reconfigure the seating, like. I can't see how they'd work/fit as is. 

Maybe, but I don’t think they have elsewhere- might be wrong though. In standing areas, fans currently have to have an allocated seat (and hence standing area when the seat is upright). I think the issue is placing a structure in front of the seats so people can lean on it when standing. Unless they replace all the current seats with a ‘bench’ type seat to try and make space to stand? A fold up/down type seat would probably take up as much space as a bench seat, I’d have thought? 

Tbf 'convert' was just the term I used to reference changing from seating to safe standing :lol:

Assumed all that would happen would be the barrier type thing gets added in front of the current seats, but not sure there's even leg room for that. No pics of how they have done the away end?

Edited by Wilson

24 minutes ago, Sima said:

How does the seat allocation/safe standing ratio work in Germany?  Do you need 1:1 so everyone can sit down or are they more flexible?

Think Germany is around 1:1.7 or even 1:1.8. Their safe standing is totally different from ours. It's still of the proper traditional terrace type. I remember a few years back managing to get a standing ticket for a Schalke home game and to say it was packed is an understatement. Had to stand with my arms by my side because there was literally nowhere to move them to. It was just a complete squash. No chance of nipping away for a piss or anything like that either!

18 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Maybe, but I don’t think they have elsewhere- might be wrong though. In standing areas, fans currently have to have an allocated seat (and hence standing area when the seat is upright). I think the issue is placing a structure in front of the seats so people can lean on it when standing. Unless they replace all the current seats with a ‘bench’ type seat to try and make space to stand? A fold up/down type seat would probably take up as much space as a bench seat, I’d have thought? 

It's really hard to get a handle on what other clubs have done, but it seems like Chelsea installed new seats and rails when they did theirs. It's the location of ours that'll provide the biggest challenge you'd think - it's a corner rather than flat banks of seats. Be interesting either way! 

12 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Think Germany is around 1:1.7 or even 1:1.8. Their safe standing is totally different from ours. It's still of the proper traditional terrace type. I remember a few years back managing to get a standing ticket for a Schalke home game and to say it was packed is an understatement. Had to stand with my arms by my side because there was literally nowhere to move them to. It was just a complete squash. No chance of nipping away for a piss or anything like that either!

I was at Villa Park one year and someone pissed in me pocket.  I was furious.

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Has there been any chat about the clubs already trialling looking to change the ratio and increase capacity?

The Gallowgate structure is only safe to handle 1:1 apparently. Any higher ratio and you’ll need a new stadium. Which we do ?

8 minutes ago, LFEE said:

The Gallowgate structure is only safe to handle 1:1 apparently. Any higher ratio and you’ll need a new stadium. Which we do ?

How? Surely people just have less individual room? 

I don't know but it could also be factoring in things like the capacity of walkways to manage crowd flow. It'll be an interpretation of health and safety, rightly or wrongly. And the interpretation might change, rightly or wrongly.

To give due respect to it, a potential alternative is more things like Hillsborough from the other week.

I got a ticket from a mate of a mate earlier in the season in the safe standing trial area of the upper leazes for Brentford. It’s just normal seats with a rail placed in front to lean on. I don’t think it will change capacity in any way, will be the exact same seats as there are now, just with a rail in front of them.