CL Quarter finals

Guest smoggeordie

Van Buyten 2-2 last minute.

Quality, quality player. £2.5m in the summer of '04, he would have been playing for City. But KK had already spunked all our cash on a load of shite  :weep:

Liverpool are gonna win it btw. No-one else has stamped their authority on the cup like they have tonight and in Barcelona (Apart from perhaps Roma in Lyon, who I still have hope for...).

Quality, quality player. £2.5m in the summer of '04, he would have been playing for City. But KK had already spunked all our cash on a load of s****  :weep:

Liverpool are gonna win it btw. No-one else has stamped their authority on the cup like they have tonight and in Barcelona (Apart from perhaps Roma in Lyon, who I still have hope for...).

Sorry, but I'm rooting for United.

I've had two years of this 5 times nonsense 24 hours a day. I think my head would explode if they won it again.

Quality, quality player. £2.5m in the summer of '04, he would have been playing for City. But KK had already spunked all our cash on a load of s****  :weep:

Sorry, but I'm rooting for United.

I've had two years of this 5 times nonsense 24 hours a day. I think my head would explode if they won it again.

I can only begin to imagine how shite it must be to have to share your city with such succesful neighbours. See also Man City.

I don't mind Liverpool winning it. I'd rather United didn't win it, as they've both won it before, but just so long as it isnt won by Chelsea, that's fine by me.

I think Bayern will win it, though.

Guest Lee-T

Sadly I feel the CL is coming to England.

I fancy L'Pool and Chelski in particular to beat the other teams. In midfield L'Pool are too strong and Chelski the jammiest bastards ever.

Imagine the open top bus ride through the streets of Liverpool again.  :rolleyes:

Were we not linked with Van Buyten for aaaaagges a few years back.

Yep, even before he went to City IIRC.

I can see Liverpool doing it again this year.

Going to City ?

He played for City on loan at the tail end of the 03/04 season. If memory serves he only played 5 or so games. We conceeded 4 to Manure in one of them, and he got sent off in another (wrongly, Alan Smith the diving little cunt), but produced a fantastic display in one of the others that causes almost every single City fan to look back on his time here extremely fondly (I think it was against Birmingham). Unfortunately he did his achilles before he could make a real impact and was never seen again. Marseille wanted £2.5m for us to sign him permenantly, we didn't stump up the cash so he went to Hamburg instead. And as is always the case when you don't sign injury prone players (see Woodgate, J), they go on to be completely injury free out of spite and 2 years later he's at Bayern Munich. Boat well and truly missed.

He was seriously linked with everyone including Newcastle back in the day, but they wanted silly money for him at one point (£15m or so). We only got him (in a swap loan deal for David Sommeil) cos he fell out with the coach or some such...but the cream rises to the top. Not suprised at all to see him playing at this level now.

Sadly I feel the CL is coming to England.

I fancy L'Pool and Chelski in particular to beat the other teams. In midfield L'Pool are too strong and Chelski the jammiest bastards ever.

Imagine the open top bus ride through the streets of Liverpool again.  :rolleyes:

Or Manchester or London......what makes it worse is that i can see Spurs beating Seville.

Going to City ?

He played for City on loan at the tail end of the 03/04 season. If memory serves he only played 5 or so games. We conceeded 4 to Manure in one of them, and he got sent off in another (wrongly, Alan Smith the diving little c***), but produced a fantastic display in one of the others that causes almost every single City fan to look back on his time here extremely fondly (I think it was against Birmingham). Unfortunately he did his achilles before he could make a real impact and was never seen again. Marseille wanted £2.5m for us to sign him permenantly, we didn't stump up the cash so he went to Hamburg instead. And as is always the case when you don't sign injury prone players (see Woodgate, J), they go on to be completely injury free out of spite and 2 years later he's at Bayern Munich. Boat well and truly missed.

He was seriously linked with everyone including Newcastle back in the day, but they wanted silly money for him at one point (£15m or so). We only got him (in a swap loan deal for David Sommeil) cos he fell out with the coach or some such...but the cream rises to the top. Not suprised at all to see him playing at this level now.

I couldn't believe it when he went to Hamburg for such a small fee remembering Newcastle were asked to pay more than 10m for and after he went to Hamburg. He really is a defender in the Albert mood. His positioning is dodgy at times, but he normally makes up for it - like today. And especially at Hamburg he was a true leader. Immense player imho.

Guest elpapi

Going to City ?

He played for City on loan at the tail end of the 03/04 season. If memory serves he only played 5 or so games. We conceeded 4 to Manure in one of them, and he got sent off in another (wrongly, Alan Smith the diving little c***), but produced a fantastic display in one of the others that causes almost every single City fan to look back on his time here extremely fondly (I think it was against Birmingham). Unfortunately he did his achilles before he could make a real impact and was never seen again. Marseille wanted £2.5m for us to sign him permenantly, we didn't stump up the cash so he went to Hamburg instead. And as is always the case when you don't sign injury prone players (see Woodgate, J), they go on to be completely injury free out of spite and 2 years later he's at Bayern Munich. Boat well and truly missed.

I couldn't believe it when he went to Hamburg for such a small fee remembering Newcastle were asked to pay more than 10m for and after he went to Hamburg. He really is a defender in the Albert mood. His positioning is dodgy at times, but he normally makes up for it - like today. And especially at Hamburg he was a true leader. Immense player imho.

I'm sorry but this one asks for a reaction from a Belgian... Van Buyten managed to make us lose to Portugal on his own some weeks ago by gifting them goals left right centre!! The only reason why he plays good with Bayern is because he doesn't have to kick a ball forward all match, just nick it to a teammate three yards away from him. Just imagine him being at the ball in the premier league, as he has to do with Belgium (as he's one of our only "good" players)

he would be awful when playing for us, as he is when playing for Belgium. That aside, we were laughing our tits off when predicting he would score once never mind twice :-) good defender, but can't pass a ball

How can Liverpool manage to score 3 goals and yet still bore people to tears?

I remember Valencia were very much the same under Benitez. I know they've produced a couple of great finals against Milan and West Ham, but as a neutral it's a case of the sooner they're out the tournament the better. Chelsea aren't much to look at either mind.

I don't like the idea of an all-English final, I'm one of those bitter bastards who tends to hate seeing other English teams doing well in Europe. I'm on for Bayern now.

Good performance by Liverpool today, organised and clinical in front of goal. PSV really are in trouble though, I can see AZ winning the Dutch league with the injuries PSV have. Hammered 5-1 in their last home game.

Good performance by Liverpool today, organised and clinical in front of goal. PSV really are in trouble though, I can see AZ winning the Dutch league with the injuries PSV have. Hammered 5-1 in their last home game.

Nasty.  Takes the shine of tonight's result a tad as well.

I swear I heard the words "five times champions of Europe" at least a hundred times when I was in Liverpool last week.

Can't imagine what it would be like to be an Everton fan in the city.