Viduka

Cajun

Let's play fantasy football for a moment:

Call me crazy, but a midfield three of Nolan - Butt - Jonas would excite the pants off me if we played that formation again, simply for how much more it could potentially offer than Geremi - Butt - Barton. Quicker and harder working on both sides of Butt, who many benefit again from having more cover in there and from having to do less running. I honestly think Jonas could be lethal in that position, as Barton saw a lot of the ball during that spell but didn't really take much advantage of the space he had and was obviously incapable of beating a man. I suppose most will say "R. Taylor - Nolan - Jonas" due to their hatred of Nicky Butt and his poor recent form and I wouldn't be averse to that being given a try either. We'd retain the set-piece threat that Geremi offered then, while having Taylor in positions to get the ball in like Gezza did last season.

Obviously the sticking point is who plays the Owen role while he's out... probably Smith or Duff I would imagine, which wouldn't be quite as effective... but you'd still have Oba and the Duke up there to cover for that loss.

In reality: Viduka will break down again or even if he doesn't Smith/Ameobi would get picked ahead of him, JFK would probably never play 4-3-3 and it's all just a load of bollocks really as there'll no doubt be other injuries to key players to cock up even the vague hope of it.

Lovenkrands is apparently at his most effective on the left side of a front 3. If he still has half the pace he had at Rangers him and Martins would be a scary prospect for defenders to face.

Nothing wrong with your post, but it's a sad state how much emphasis pace and physical attributes has on the modern game.

Not necessarily. People just think "quicker = better" automatically, not considering how to get these sorts of players into the best positions possible and having technically gifted players to get the best out of them.

It's handy having one or two speed merchants in the team, but that's as far as it goes. The best teams aren't necessarily the quickest although they do tend to be able to play the game at a high tempo.

EDIT: Even for the physical side of it, the best teams can still get by without it to a good extent. For every team like that there's a Stoke or a Portsmouth though. :undecided:

Hasn't he said that before? Owen said it too.

Good luck with that lads, have you seen who the manager is?

:lol:

In all seriousness I think 4-3-3 would be successful, just like the back end of last season.

Kinnear is old school and 4-4-2 is all he knows. He hasn't got the wit to try anything different. When he subs someone it never results in a change of formation just a re shuffle of 4-4-2. The nearest I've seen to something different was away at Chelsea when we went 4-6-0.

Who plays the Owen role then though? IMO Lovenkrands is backup to Martins all being well. Can't see them being much use together.

I think Lovenkrands and Oba either side of Viduka would be pretty tasty in a Mourinho version of 4-3-3 when he was at Chelsea. I think I mentioned it somewhere in one of the other threads as well. Obviously this would make it hard to accomodate Nolan which would be a disaster of course  :coolsmiley:

Who plays the Owen role then though? IMO Lovenkrands is backup to Martins all being well. Can't see them being much use together.

I think Lovenkrands and Oba either side of Viduka would be pretty tasty in a Mourinho version of 4-3-3 when he was at Chelsea. I think I mentioned it somewhere in one of the other threads as well. Obviously this would make it hard to accomodate Nolan which would be a disaster of course  :coolsmiley:

løvenkrands needs to play wide left....he could be ok in that position you mentioned! up front middle or right wing would never work!

delighted he is back, if the fat cunt can stay fit he could be the difference this season.

the way he set up duff for the winnder against spuds is somehting we dont have anywhere else in the team.

with him, oba and smith (cough) back, along with ryan taylor and nolan, we do look a lot healthier.

løvenkrands needs to play wide left....he could be ok in that position you mentioned! up front middle or right wing would never work!

My teacher at school is a Rangers fan and said Lovenkrands is shite on the wing as he can't cross to save his life, his best position is CF.

My teacher at school is a Rangers fan and said Lovenkrands is shite on the wing as he can't cross to save his life, his best position is CF.

Indeed the word is he is a shit wide man, but played as a left sided forward off Viduka...I could see that working.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4894712,00.html

Aussie striker eager to recreate last season's form

Mark Viduka hopes his return to the Newcastle side against West Brom can spark the same flurry of goals that saved their season this time last season.

The Australian International has not played for the Magpies since Boxing Day after picking up a groin injury but is fit again and could return at The Hawthorns this weekend.

The injury was one of a string which has hampered the striker's time at St. James', and after being restricted to just four appearances this season, he is hoping to make up for lost time.

Last season, Kevin Keegan's Newcastle side went on a seven match unbeaten run in the new year effectively sealing survival using a 4-3-3 formation, which Viduka is keen to recreate.

"Whether Joe (Kinnear) wants to play that formation or not is a totally different thing" he told The Newcastle Chronicle.

"But the manager's got a lot of options up front when everyone's fit, and this team has got goals in it.

"We pulled away from trouble last season when we used that formation.

"And if we can click up front again then hopefully we can do the same this time" he added.

Now, after recovering from his latest injury setback, the former Leeds Utd forward is hoping he and his fellow strike partners Alan Smith and Oba Martins can fire The Toon to safety once more.

"Last year we showed towards the end we could play together with three up front. We were a threat to many defences and I'd love to repeat some of that" he said.

I think we're down anyway but if him and Martins don't play 10 games each before the end we might as well switch the lights off and go home now. I know this is unlikely given both their records which is the main reason I think we're screwed.

Yeah even though he has been fairly poor this season when fit apart from the back heel v Spurs I would rather him fit than not. A interested fairly fit Viduka is a better option than Shola or Carroll.

And with Smith even though he has been worse than dog shite for us he is definately going to be up for the fight and I think no matter what the very least we will get from him is 100%, whether that will be enough remains to be seen.

problem is løvenkrands is s... overall! left side of a 3 man attack would be the best position for him i reckon.....but that should be martins position. løvenkrands should leave in the summer tbh

he has never been considered a cf around the danish national team.....a position where we have struggled!

...but i think he should be given the chance on the left instead of duff against wba

My teacher at school is a Rangers fan and said Lovenkrands is s**** on the wing as he can't cross to save his life, his best position is CF.

Indeed the word is he is a s*** wide man, but played as a left sided forward off Viduka...I could see that working.

You don't get 100% from smith, that's a myth. The man's a total fraud.

I think he gives 100%, the problem is he's complete shit.

He doesn't, 100% is busting a gut to keep up with a winger who's getting forward and looking to put a cross in, 100% is getting back into your own penalty area and making a saving tackle when your centre half has been caught. James Milner used to do these things and a lot more, Scott Parker too.

100% is not standing in the centre circle for the entire game no matter what position you're playing and simply making stupid tackles on anyone who passes nearby.