Newcastle 0 - 0 Chelsea - Post match thoughts

Dave

Mourinho:

"If you ask me though if Chelsea deserve to win this game then, no, I don't think so. I'm super proud of the players and their effort and I cannot ask them for more but Newcastle were fresher, they were always dangerous on the counter attack and they had some good performances in Bramble and Taylor in defence. I think they deserve to get their point no doubt about it."

:parky: at least he didn't whinge about us

A draw was the right result. It was the worst Chelsea performance I've seen in a long while, but we weren't good enough to take advantage.

Nothing stuck up front. Martins and Sibierski looked likely to lose control of the ball any moment.

Once Carroll got over his initial nerves, he looked very promising. He really needed to chance his arm and shoot near the end instead of crossing. It looked like a young lad playing it by the book rather than reacting to the situation in front of him. Still, he showed some nice control.

Best performances came from the back four. Solano and Carr did well supporting the attack. Bramble looked short of confidence at first, but then relaxed. And Taylor really looked the part. He actually looked stronger than Drogba.

Excellent performance.

Butt, Emre, Milner and Bramble outstanding in a game we really should have won.

Considering Chelsea needed to win this game to give them the advantage in the title race, they were rubbish.

That's none of the top four gone away from here with three points - why can't we do this every week?

Excellent performance.

Considering Chelsea needed to win this game to give them the advantage in the title race, they were rubbish.

That's none of the top four gone away from here with three points - why can't we do this every week?

Yoou know why we can't do it every week.

Excellent performance.

Too much like hard work.

Excellent performance.

Yoou know why we can't do it every week.

True.

I expected us to get something today, I said it last night, but when we play your Sheff Utds and your Man Citehs, I don't, not anymore.

Thought all the defenders were excellent today (even Carr - till he tired after 70 or so mins), regardless of what Brian Marwood thinks.

Sibs was better in our box than theirs and did an cracking job on Terry.

Zoggy could learn alot from Milner about how to fight for a first tema place and how to carry the rtight mental attitude.

Milner was thrown out on loan to Villa, came back here to fight for a place in the first team, then had the insult of nearly being outed on transfer deadline day, yet here he is a first team starter and a very very bright young player. I nothing but admiration for the lad.

I love the way people cannot wait to jump on Dyer, yeah he drifted in and out of the game playing in a role he hates, but when he was coming inside for the ball it was purley down to the fact that we were not doing much at all down the right so he was not getting much of the ball.

If he did so little in the game then how the fkn hell did we get a 0-0? if he was as bad as some are saying it would have been like playing with 10 men!!

aye,so he selfishly comes inside,dragging defenders in with him ,cutting down space for martins or any run from the centre....no coincidence our best chance came from one of the few occasions he played his role right.

I am not saying he had a great game or did nothing wrong, but fkn hell the grief he gets its beyond a joke.

If he had stuck out wode right all the time he would have hardly seen the ball then we would be seeing posts saying "why did he not come in for the ball, to happy to stay wide and contribute nothing blah blah blah". The lad cannot win..

i'm one of those who have defended him,this is not a turning point,but today he was by quite a large magin our worst player and by trying to get himself involved made the situation worse for his team.

Guest Sheriff John Bunnell (Ret

Great result - Taylor, Emre and Solano stood out for me... Hopefully have a good end to another disappointing season... Have we any chance of claiming the intertoto spot?!

Zoggy could learn alot from Milner about how to fight for a first tema place and how to carry the rtight mental attitude.

Milner was thrown out on loan to Villa, came back here to fight for a place in the first team, then had the insult of nearly being outed on transfer deadline day, yet here he is a first team starter and a very very bright young player. I nothing but admiration for the lad.

I love the way people cannot wait to jump on Dyer, yeah he drifted in and out of the game playing in a role he hates, but when he was coming inside for the ball it was purley down to the fact that we were not doing much at all down the right so he was not getting much of the ball.

If he did so little in the game then how the fkn hell did we get a 0-0? if he was as bad as some are saying it would have been like playing with 10 men!!

aye,so he selfishly comes inside,dragging defenders in with him ,cutting down space for martins or any run from the centre....no coincidence our best chance came from one of the few occasions he played his role right.

I am not saying he had a great game or did nothing wrong, but fkn hell the grief he gets its beyond a joke.

If he had stuck out wode right all the time he would have hardly seen the ball then we would be seeing posts saying "why did he not come in for the ball, to happy to stay wide and contribute nothing blah blah blah". The lad cannot win..

i'm one of those who have defended him,this is not a turning point,but today he was by quite a large magin our worst player and by trying to get himself involved made the situation worse for his team.

Glenn sacrifsed a bit of our attacking power today to make sure we did not concede, by playing Le Sib it gave us extra defensive power on set pieces, playing Milner wide left instead of Zoggy gave Carr more cover, so Dyer ended up widfe right and I am sure Glenn and Dyer would both prefer he was played uptop or through the middle. However I still cannot say he was as bad today as has been made out, Nobby did not have a torrid time with Bridge and you would expect him to if he had, jad no cover infront of him from Dyer.

One thing is for sure regardless of his performance today, had he not got back fit this season we would be be in a religation spot right now.

Glenn sacrifsed a bit of our attacking power today to make sure we did not concede, by playing Le Sib it gave us extra defensive power on set pieces, playing Milner wide left instead of Zoggy gave Carr more cover, so Dyer ended up widfe right and I am sure Glenn and Dyer would both prefer he was played uptop or through the middle. However I still cannot say he was as bad today as has been made out, Nobby did not have a torrid time with Bridge and you would expect him to if he had, jad no cover infront of him from Dyer.

One thing is for sure regardless of his performance today, had he not got back fit this season we would be be in a religation spot right now.

last sentence is a tad over the top and if glenn and dyer would prefer him through the middle then it's my opinion they are both wrong.the only position for dyer is wide right.

last sentence is a tad over the top and if glenn and dyer would prefer hom through the middle then it's my opinion theybare both wrong.the only position for dyer is wide right.

The only posotion for him is a one where you think he is shite?

I agree to a point that he could be a great right winger but you have to want that for it to happen, and Dyer does not want it. Souness was the one that seen Dyer as a striker and since he has been back from injury his best performances have been as a striker.

No one thought he would last 2 games never mind the rest of the season, he said himself after about 5 games in he was shatterd and had been running only on the pure delight of being back.

I would rahter habe him playing for us than against us, a lot on here would rather he was sold, its all personal opinion but those that dislike the lad always go to far when putting him down is he has not had the best game.

last sentence is a tad over the top and if glenn and dyer would prefer hom through the middle then it's my opinion theybare both wrong.the only position for dyer is wide right.

The only posotion for him is a one where you think he is s****?

I agree to a point that he could be a great right winger but you have to want that for it to happen, and Dyer does not want it. Souness was the one that seen Dyer as a striker and since he has been back from injury his best performances have been as a striker.

No one thought he would last 2 games never mind the rest of the season, he said himself after about 5 games in he was shatterd and had been running only on the pure delight of being back.

I would rahter habe him playing for us than against us, a lot on here would rather he was sold, its all personal opinion but those that dislike the lad always go to far when putting him down is he has not had the best game.

no...a one where i think he played poor today

It's obvious that he's not fit at the moment, but even when he is, he's not a fucking striker. He's not even close to being a striker. Even when he was supposed to be 'playing off' Martins he was mostly loitering behind the half-way line. The fact is, he doesn't have a position and has never had a position.

It's obvious that he's not fit at the moment, but even when he is, he's not a f****** striker. He's not even close to being a striker. Even when he was supposed to be 'playing off' Martins he was mostly loitering behind the half-way line. The fact is, he doesn't have a position and has never had a position.

I do think that is a real problem, that he has no real position to speak of, he could he very handy in a few roles but he needs his manager to say "this is where I want you to play, this is where you will play from now on, lets work on what I want you to do in this role".

As for drifting in to deep when he was played as a striker in a few games, I seem to remember we could not make a forward pass for love nor money, so he took it upon himself to drop off and pick the ball up, we see lots of top strikers doing that kind of thing, Rooney does it all the time. and before it gets jumped on, no I am not calling Dyer a top striker or compating him to Rooney I am just saying tis not always a bad tihing for one of your front 2 to drop off deeper to pick up the ball. 

It's obvious that he's not fit at the moment, but even when he is, he's not a f****** striker. He's not even close to being a striker. Even when he was supposed to be 'playing off' Martins he was mostly loitering behind the half-way line. The fact is, he doesn't have a position and has never had a position.

I do think that is a real problem, that he has no real position to speak of, he could he very handy in a few roles but he needs his manager to say "this is where I want you to play, this is where you will play from now on, lets work on what I want you to do in this role".

As for drifting in to deep when he was played as a striker in a few games, I seem to remember we could not make a forward pass for love nor money, so he took it upon himself to drop off and pick the ball up, we see lots of top strikers doing that kind of thing, Rooney does it all the time. and before it gets jumped on, no I am not calling Dyer a top striker or compating him to Rooney I am just saying tis not always a bad tihing for one of your front 2 to drop off deeper to pick up the ball. 

Aye, but Martins is always coming deep as well. It's a hopeless partnership, imo, and I hope we don't play it too bloody often in future.

Aye, but Martins is always coming deep as well. It's a hopeless partnership, imo, and I hope we don't play it too bloody often in future.

With any luck in the future we won't have to, but at times this season it did work with Dyer and Martins, they did at times manage some fantastic link up play that brought goals, no its not an idela partnership but tis not an aweful one either.

Well, with Martins, Owen, Ameobi and Caroll as our top 4 strikers (probably) we should start looking at where Dyer's going to fit in, I suppose. If Dyer's not going to play on the right or left, I don't think there's a place for him in the first XI.

Well, with Martins, Owen, Ameobi and Caroll as our top 4 strikers (probably) we should start looking at where Dyer's going to fit in, I suppose. If Dyer's not going to play on the right or left, I don't think there's a place for him in the first XI.

There shouldn't be. But this is Roeder.

Great result - Taylor, Emre and Solano stood out for me... Hopefully have a good end to another disappointing season... Have we any chance of claiming the intertoto spot?!

If we win our last 3 and Pompey lose their last 3 (Everton away, Liverpool/Arsenal at home) then yes. It also needs Everton, Spurs and Bolton to be 5th, 6th and 7th and Reading 8th as they're not applying for Inter-toto. In other words, it needs a load of things that should happen but in reality probably won't happen for us to be in with a shout.

Paul Fletcher writing for the BBC.

But in truth it was a poor game - and an especially disappointing performance from Chelsea.

I don't think any Newcastle supporter would describe that as a poor game. Neutrals, what would they think I wonder, is Paul Fletcher nuetral or a Chelsea sympathiser?