The one and only 'Who should be captain?' thread

KaKa
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TBH none of them stand out.

Nicky Butt- Experianced, winner and plays in the centre of the park which i like.

Taylor- Captain for the future, not quite ready yet.

Given- Long time servent but i don't think he possesses captain qualities and don't like the idea of goalkeepers as captains.

Emre- Not consistent enough

Nobby- Would be a good choice but not garuenteed a first team place and isn't a long term option

Joey Barton-Would be the only one with ALOT of captain qualities but you can never be sure with new signings.

Micheal Owen- Hasn't shown any commitment to us.

Guest Toon83

To answer my own question - i would make Joey Barton captain, he led by example at Manchester City last year before his scuffle with Dabo, which he claims was self defence.

Also i believe that giving him that kind of responsibility at a big club like ours will make him into a better player.

Alot of votes for Given, but goalkeepers as captains dont work for me, and Given has never been a vocal player from what i've seen, other than Barton i would consider Taylor or Butt (if he is guarenteed a place next season)

While I admire Barton I do not thik he should be Captain. He'll be great 98% of the time but then every now and then he does something insanely stupid and that's now what we need from a captain.

Given's commitment, professionalism and the fact he's a long-serving player would get him my vote however I'm one who doesn't like the idea of a goalkeeper being captain as he isn't in the thick of the action (well he could be should the defence not get sorted!) and thus can't communicate with the whole team (ie. the strikers).

Therefore the only option is Butt.  Taylor is too young.  Some might say the responsibility would bring him on a bit, but I believe it would hold him back for now.

Guest johnson293

As I said in this thread... http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=41207.0 ....I would go for Nicky Butt as Captain.

However, now Sam has elaborated, and wants a 'natural leader on and off the pitch', I would say that rules out Given, as a keeper can't be commanding all over the pitch. I can see it going to one of Butt or Barton.

Owen has been suggested, but if he wont even commit his future (even in private to Allardyce), why give him the captaincy?

Guest Darth Toon

Went for Shay from the options available, but with several new players still to come in it's likely the next captain isn't at the club yet (especially with experienced centre-halfs on the shopping list)

Hopefully Taylor one day, but probably a year or 2 too soon for him at the moment - still much to concentrate on getting his own game right before he can think about taking on the responsibility for others.

Guest Knightrider

Taylor for me and I'm hearing that's who Big Sam is thinking about the most as his new Captain.

Guest johnson293

In the Chronic, Bobby Moncur suggested Taylor for captain as well, citing himself as an example (he was 22 or 23 when he became captain).

Guest toon tone rudeboy

I said "other".  Read the article on the icnewcastle page about Moncur having a vote for Taylor being the next captain.  He had some good points but I think he is a bit too young yet.

Guest Morph

Nicky Butt or Nobby.  Taylor needs to grow up a bit before he can start bossing around 32 year old former champions league players and internationals.  If you get what I mean.

Nicky Butt - Probably the right candidate, but i expect him not to be here and if so only as back-up.

Steven Taylor - Too young, needs a strong captain to learn off, possibly our next captain though.

Shay Given - Can't command his defense, terrible position as well to give a captaincy too.

Emre - Fuking hell, we are desperate.

Nobby Solano - Should be used sparingly, if at RB he has too much to think about there to lead a team.

Joey Barton - Natural replacement for Parker as captain and the one SA will go for.

Michael Owen - Scum.

Other - There is no other

Guest Morph

Steven Taylor - Too young, needs a strong captain to learn off, possibly our next captain though.

^ he said it for me.

I'd personally go for Taylor, think it could be great for him and the age debate isnt that big a deal as people make out at plenty of clubs have young captains, think its the experience which is more important

And he's got loads of that to. Compared to say someone like Butt.

I'd personally go for Taylor, think it could be great for him and the age debate isnt that big a deal as people make out at plenty of clubs have young captains, think its the experience which is more important

And he's got loads of that to. Compared to say someone like Butt.

John Terry was made Chelsea captain at 21 was that wrong?

I think Butt would also be a good choice its just I'm not sure if he'll be a regular starter with Emre and Barton

Taylor is still way to immature and erratic, his ego would go through the roof with this. I seriously question how much respect he would have in the dressing room, think he is a bit of a laughing stock among team mates tbh.

Taylor is still way to immature and erratic, his ego would go through the roof with this. I seriously question how much respect he would have in the dressing room, think he is a bit of a laughing stock among team mates tbh.

blueyes.gif

Guest optimistic nit

defineatly not taylor ffs. the guys a calamity. i would give him some time on the bench next season, would do him the world of good imo.