Albert Luque (now retired)

James

Sam said recently that he was happy with his "5 strikers".

So that's Owen, Martins, Viduka, Ameobi - but who does see as being was the fifth? Carroll or Luque? Both have been the subject of loan speculation.

He was including Alan Smith I think, which isn't great news for Luque or Carroll

Fair enough - I'd got Smith down as a midfielder who could play up front (like Dyer) but Smith has probably spent more of his career playing up front than any other position.

Think Sam miss counted :lol:

we need a loan deal for Carroll and Luque and use Smith as a midfielder. Martins,Owen, Viduke and Shola as our 4 strikers with Smith as a back up if needed.

Sam has told Owen he will have to fight for his starting place this season :D good to hear I say.

Sam said recently that he was happy with his "5 strikers".

So that's Owen, Martins, Viduka, Ameobi - but who does see as being was the fifth? Carroll or Luque? Both have been the subject of loan speculation.

I would play Luque up front ahead of Shola alongside Viduka. Luque's a better finisher and has more goal-scoring instinct about him. Depends whether Luque will be happ to be 4th or 5th choice though, and I suspect he won't.

Guest firetotheworks

With our injury record Id say being 5th choice striker would give you enough oppurtunities to shine.

Luque can also play left wing - which might be useful at some point in the season.

I guess the key thing is whether Luque wants to return to the land of Sangria and San Miguel or whether he wants to have another go over here under some more enlightened management. If he really wants out then its best to let him go tbh.

I really want him to stay, help Enrique and finally get some games under his belt. All thats lacking is match fitness but you can see from pre-season that he can do the business despite not playing perfectly.

I want this to be a new start for him as this season is his big chance to prove the doubters wrong. He'll get plenty of chances to shine if he stays fit blueyes.gif

Guest Magpiecn

Either Shola or him will leave,even may be both will leave if Martins ,Owen , Viduka and Smith are all fit.

Would people prefer Ameobi being 4th choice ahead of Luque?  ???

4th?

Owen,Viduka,Martins,Smith, even if Smith is used as a midfielder most of the time I am sure Sam would play him upfront before he would use Shola. Unless we had mass midfield injuries too and Smith was needed in there.

Guest teepee

Would people prefer Ameobi being 4th choice ahead of Luque?  ???

No, Albert for me all the way!

neither, as smith, viduka, owen and martins are certain choices ahead of either.... we only need to keep one of them imo

Tbh,i think we could need him.

With Martins going to the ACN missing 5/7 games,

All this Viduka talk of him going home for games etc....

Owens injury record being absaloutly pants,

Shola not being to healthy.

We may come to need him in some part of the season.

So it is going to have to be him OR Carroll who go out on loan,nor both,nor neither

Reading Oliver's article and then reading the Marca article, then it seems there is some confusion.

Marca are saying that Luque has been 'set free' to talk to Levante. They say:

"He's free. But what does that mean? He's available on a free transfer? A loan? A loan with option to buy? Luque has permission on Newcastle's part to discuss his exit."

It seems like Levante can't afford to pay any sort of fee for him and would struggle with his wages alone. Oliver is talking about us letting him go there for free. This would make sense in terms of the number of strikers we have and his wages, but would make a mockery of what Sam said about trying to get his best out of him and his decent pre-season form.

I wouldn't have thought Sam would give up on the player and release him for nowt without seeing a bit of him, and he's done alright in pre-season with three goals in two starts against Celtic and Juve. We may have an abundance of strikers but Luque is also a left-winger. Loaning him out seems pointless unless we are desperate to get him off the wagebill, but again I doubt Levante would be willing or able to take on all of his wages. It just doesn't seem Sam's style to give up on him at a huge loss to the club in terms of transfer fees.

Guest diddimz

4 strikers isnt much in a 4-3-3, and with luque able to play on the left of the front 3 i can see sam wanting to keep him around this season, i think 5 strikers is good for us, and would prefer luque to stay then ameobi.

Ameobi is streets ahead in terms of being a useful member of the squad. Do the people who believe that Luque could be an asset actually attend the games? I've wanted Luque to succeed & he seems like he may be a canny bloke but I just have not seen anything in his play to make me think he will ever make it at NUFC.

Ameobi is streets ahead in terms of being a useful member of the squad. Do the people who believe that Luque could be an asset actually attend the games? I've wanted Luque to succeed & he seems like he may be a canny bloke but I just have not seen anything in his play to make me think he will ever make it at NUFC.

What the fuck does that have to do with the comparsion?

I used to think the same about Butt. I felt his pedigree in England meant he deserved a chance but eventually his chances had just run out for me, espescially after his season with Brum. The vast majority of fans agreed at that time as well. He's a useful player now though, where the turnaround once seemed impossible.

I'd like to see Luque given a chance to turn himself around here but it seems the player wants out. Perhaps the signing of Smith was enough to convince him he was well down the pecking order?

Guest newcastle4life

Wouldnt mind him staying but cant see it think he will go to many players ahead him unless our usual injury crisis comes during the season.  >:(