Mark Viduka signs for Newcastle - 2 years + 1 more optional

Guest SwissMagpie

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1033728,00.html

Big Sam Reveals Transfer Targets

By Craig Hope

SAM Allardyce has confirmed that he is interested in bringing his former Bolton Wanderers defender Tal Ben Haim to St.James' Park - and says that the signing of Mark Viduka is "almost in the bag".

The new Magpies boss has had a busy first full week in his Gallowgate hotseat, working tirelessly to bring new blood to Tyneside.

And Big Sam told nufc.co.uk that Israeli centre-back Ben Haim is one player he will certainly be targeting in the coming weeks.

The 52-year-old gaffer said: "Yes, I'm interested in Tal Ben Haim, he's a free agent and hopefully available.

"He has got three or four years of experience in the Premiership and I know him inside out.

"We had a good working relationship, we grew in the Premiership together and I'm very interested in working with him again."

While the former Trotters boss also confirmed that United are set to land the signature of Middlesbrough striker Mark Viduka.

"Mark is almost in the bag. It's been difficult because he has been on holiday, but we're nearly there," said Allardyce.

"We hope to sort out a medical next week and then that will be done."

Guest Knightrider

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1033728,00.html

Big Sam Reveals Transfer Targets

By Craig Hope

SAM Allardyce has confirmed that he is interested in bringing his former Bolton Wanderers defender Tal Ben Haim to St.James' Park - and says that the signing of Mark Viduka is "almost in the bag".

The new Magpies boss has had a busy first full week in his Gallowgate hotseat, working tirelessly to bring new blood to Tyneside.

And Big Sam told nufc.co.uk that Israeli centre-back Ben Haim is one player he will certainly be targeting in the coming weeks.

The 52-year-old gaffer said: "Yes, I'm interested in Tal Ben Haim, he's a free agent and hopefully available.

"He has got three or four years of experience in the Premiership and I know him inside out.

"We had a good working relationship, we grew in the Premiership together and I'm very interested in working with him again."

While the former Trotters boss also confirmed that United are set to land the signature of Middlesbrough striker Mark Viduka.

"Mark is almost in the bag. It's been difficult because he has been on holiday, but we're nearly there," said Allardyce.

"We hope to sort out a medical next week and then that will be done."

If the manager is talking about names that to me suggest all three are as good as done or will sign for the club as he's no Souness or Roeder when it comes to name dropping.

If SA mentioned we may be in for Anelka, where does that leave Martins?

Or are we going to have Owen Viduka Martins & Anelka?

That has to be the best strikeforce of any team in the prem? I mean all have proven track records except Martins, but even he didn't do bad for his 1st season!

As we all know Anelka and Owen can play together, and i'm sure Viduka and Martins would be leathal too!

This has to be one of the greatest build up's to a season i've ever witnessed! And my ringers twitching for the pre-season tournaments to start!

Get in!  ;D

Anelka coming in could herald a move to 4-3-3, using martins and anelka on the flanks in the same way bolton used diouf and anelka. it worked well enough for them and Martins-Viduka-Anelka is better than Diouf-Davies-Anelka. this would possibly anticipate an Owen departure.

or like you say, we keep them all and you have two basically perfect combinations to use, Viduka-Martins or Anelka-Owen.

I did have my doubts about Sam but fkn hell its fantastic ti have a manager that can handle and work well in a transfer window!!

Good on ya Big Sam!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Moving swiftley, i am very happy at Big Sams start. I will be over the moon if we can continue with signing some defenders of the same stature. Ben Haim and Baines for starters please.

Moving swiftley, i am very happy at Big Sams start. I will be over the moon if we can continue with signing some defenders of the same stature. Ben Haim and Baines for starters please.

Ben Haim, Rozehnal, and Baines would be absolutely fantastic and not too much money - about the same as one Boumsong.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=vid%2Ds-top-marksman%26method=full%26objectid=19260890%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Vid's top marksman

Jun 7 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Sam Allardyce flew to London today to tie up the signing of Aussie striker Mark Viduka on a three-year deal.

And before boarding his plane at Newcastle Airport early this morning, the new United manager told me: "Our front line is looking very exciting for next season."

The Chronicle revealed on May 18 that United were hoping to succeed where they failed last August by luring the 31-year-old striker from Teesside to Tyneside.

We also reported that Allardyce was also hoping to land his former Bolton centre-half Ben Haim - and the United boss has now also confirmed this.

He added: "I sincerely hope Viduka's signing goes through, and I am sure it will once he passes his medical in London today as he has already agreed the terms and conditions of his contract."

United were one of several clubs interested in signing the burly striker and Middlesbrough are disappointed that they were unable to hold on to the former Dynamo Zagreb, Celtic and Leeds United man.

Allardyce pointed out: "We are getting a player with vast experience in Premiership football and a natural goalscorer.

"He has the size and stature to lead our front line and is direct competition for Shola Ameobi, who is fit again now.

"It's common knowledge that every manager in the game wants two players for every position, and that's what we will have at Newcastle United next season as far as our strikers are concerned.

"It's a great start for us as we already have Oba Martins and Michael Owen who can play off a big man, and it is all looking very exciting."

Allardyce was meeting Viduka in a central London hotel after the 6ft 2in striker flew from a holiday in the US yesterday afternoon.

And providing he passes his medical then Viduka will become a Newcastle United player, but he will have to wait to get a look into the home dressing room at St James' Park.

He's off to Croatia on holiday tonight before he links with the Australian squad for the Asia Cup early next month.

The men from down under have three games in their group starting with Oman in Bangkok on July 8, and if they reach the final Viduka will still be in Asia until the end of next month.

Meanwhile, Tal Ben Haim also has an important date when he gets married in Israel next weekend, and he is hoping to complete his move before then.

And before boarding his plane at Newcastle Airport early this morning, the new United manager told me: "Our front line is looking very exciting for next season."

bluelaugh.gif

http://www.historicaldocuments.com/RichardNixonHelicopter.jpg

"Alan! ALAN! OUR STRIKE FORCE IS LOOKING VERY EXCITING FOR NEXT SEASON! RING YOU LATER YEAH?"

Ben Haim, Rozehnal, and Baines would be absolutely fantastic and not too much money - about the same as one Boumsong.

Fucking hell, you're right. That's mental....

Guest TheOrder

Viduka will be another sib

You're right. Well, Luque did score 19 goals last season, didn't he?

Guest NUFCnutter

For me, the bonus is having the Smoggies moaning and whining about how we have "stolen" Viduka. Its great to see they are so upset about the big man leaving and it makes his signing all the sweeter!  :celb: