Been offered Deco and enquired about Eto'o...according to The Journal.

Guest DavB93

How have we changed? we havent even kicked a ball yet......

"Money changes everything"

£50m that was giving to Souness and i beg to differ

But that money did make a difference, the irresponsible way in which it was thrown about on needless and overpriced players who were more bothered about their next wage packet than for the club itself landed us in the mess that we're trying to crawl out of right now.

The question on my mind is the figures.

What would everyone rate as a reasonable offer to Barca for the player, and how much should we be paying him?

Since Barca signed Henry for £16m, we certainly want to be looking lower than that, and since Barca has a wage limit (or so am told) then really his pay should match Owen, no more.

What's everyone's limit, or do we not have one anymore due to Ashley coming in?

from NUFC.com

Deco deal done?

A story which broke on Sunday in the News of the World concerning our interest in Deco (pictured) of Barcelona appears to have moved on quickly, Monday bringing claims from credible sources that the player is expected on Tyneside for a medical this week.

Spanish newspapers reported last month that the 29 year-old Brazilian-born Portuguese international midfielder was on a list of players who had been declared surplus to requirements at the Nou Camp.

Rubbish.

Deco ain't got nothing on Laryea Kingston right?

LR did confirm some weeks later that we did bid for him.

Deco is a great player, but sadly these reports are wide of the mark I fear. If they weren't I'd be the first to congratulate our negotiating team.

It is clear when building a global brand that one route is to get players of other nationalities and sentimental followings in other countries to raise the profile of the club and Deco fits the bill. However it is my understanding that Barca want to keep him for another year. Time will tell. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

from NUFC.com

Deco deal done?

A story which broke on Sunday in the News of the World concerning our interest in Deco (pictured) of Barcelona appears to have moved on quickly, Monday bringing claims from credible sources that the player is expected on Tyneside for a medical this week.

Spanish newspapers reported last month that the 29 year-old Brazilian-born Portuguese international midfielder was on a list of players who had been declared surplus to requirements at the Nou Camp.

Rubbish.

Deco is a great player, but sadly these reports are wide of the mark I fear. If they weren't I'd be the first to congratulate our negotiating team.

It is clear when building a global brand that one route is to get players of other nationalities and sentimental followings in other countries to raise the profile of the club and Deco fits the bill. However it is my understanding that Barca want to keep him for another year. Time will tell. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Alan?  Alan Oliver?  Is that you?

There's alot of talk of a £23 mil figure being bandied about, although this hasn't being confirmed by any reliable sources as such. I think that as long as the club isn't left with nothing else to spend then the price of the transfer would be academic.

But then again, I rate Deco as a world class creative attacking mid and the only way to get world class players it seems is to get out the cheque book.

There's alot of talk of a £23 mil figure being bandied about, although this hasn't being confirmed by any reliable sources as such. I think that as long as the club isn't left with nothing else to spend then the price of the transfer would be academic.

But then again, I rate Deco as a world class creative attacking mid and the only way to get world class players it seems is to get out the cheque book.

The £23m comes from Wiki, which any old soul can edit.

I'd read nowt into that. I think if there willing to sell him, they'll let him go for about £14m imo.

from NUFC.com

Deco deal done?

Rubbish.

Just messing with you. Laryea would have been a good addition for us.

Regarding Deco though where would he play if Eto'o stays at Barca with Henry which is very likely. I magine there would then only be two available centre midfield spots as Henry and Eto'o would be upfront with Messi and Ronaldinho wide. Barca have just brought in Yaya and imagine he will be playing in the first team and I doubt Xavi would be dropped.

Could certainly see Deco being allowed to leave this year.

from NUFC.com

Deco deal done?

Rubbish.

Just messing with you. Laryea would have been a good addition for us.

Regarding Deco though where would he play if Eto'o stays at Barca with Henry which is very likely. I magine there would then only be two available centre midfield spots as Henry and Eto'o would be upfront with Messi and Ronaldinho wide. Barca have just brought in Yaya and imagine he will be playing in the first team and I doubt Xavi would be dropped.

Could certainly see Deco being allowed to leave this year.

That's a fair assesment.

Good grief, some folks here just can't read past a headline can they? Here's the quotes you needed.

"The Journal understands that Newcastle have been offered Portugal international midfielder Deco by officials at the Nou Camp and have also made tentative enquiries regarding the possibility of signing Cameroon striker Samuel Eto’o"

and

"Barcelona will attempt to sign Chelsea’s Frank Lampard before the close of the transfer window, but want to sell Deco to make room for the England star in the centre of midfield. However, they are not interested in losing Eto’o, despite his problems with manager Frank Rijkaard last season."

So it's pretty clear that the Eto'o thing is rubbish. We made a 'tentative' enquiry and Barcelona don't want to lose him.

As for Deco, it looks plausible, but there's mention of Lampard, and according to most of the papers recently Chelsea have been knocking back offers from Barca for Lampard. So the whole 'if they sign Lampard then they'll sell Deco' thing looks a bit unlikely, and I'm pretty sure that if they were to put him on the market there'd be more clubs than just us invited to bid. Summer nonsense I reckon.

I'd read nowt into that. I think if there willing to sell him, they'll let him go for about £14m imo.

Naaah! Way too steep for a 30 year old who is expendable.

I would imagine around £8 million would do the trick. At the very very mostest £10 million.

If the best striker in the world cost £16 million at 30 then Deco at 30 would not cost anywhere near the same as that.

Shit off.

What's scary is not the belief that we'd pay that, but that you'd believe it was good business.

The down side of Deco are that he's 30, wouldn't come cheap, might not adapt, and might be here for the money.

Ability-wise he's a world class player and it speaks volumes that Barca fans don't want to see him go. Because of his style of play I think he could play for another 3 seasons at the top level, and maybe still be useful for another one or two after that, given Allardyce's record with such players. While we have Emre and Barton, this guy is a class act and would lift us to another level in terms of our midfield play. In a 3-man midfield he is very difficult to pick up and I'm sure teams would begin to look at our attacking options and say how do we deal with that, and that's the type of team we want to build.

My main concern, as others have highlighted, is whether we are going to neglect defence once again as we have under previous managers. I'd like to see us go all out for an Heinze or a Marquez, because with one of those two plus Deco we would have the tools for an assault on that 4th place which would mean the players would pay for themselves.

Guest gggg

Naaah! Way too steep for a 30 year old who is expendable.

I would imagine around £8 million would do the trick. At the very very mostest £10 million..

Definately.

On the wages I doubt he's on more than 40k at Barca since their wage bill is not much higher than ours and they've got 11 world class players and a bigger squad. He wouldnt want 100k or something daft.

Guest WalkervilleMag

£10 million is the price for Deco.  Who the Fk said £23 million ?  £23 million for Deco, Gudjohnsen, and Guily

Blimey. If this is true I will be seriously impressed, and very confused. Surely his agent would be trying to set up a bidding war for his services...

Still the Eto'o bit is bollocks right?

{I'm off to find a hat that goes well with Sauce and a side order of chips...}

£23m? They can fuck right off!

It was fucking Wikipedia who said £23m. Probably bullshit, but while we are linked to him or eventually buy him, I am sure some people will complain and whine about spending£23m on him, because they read it once on Wikipedia. Even if we get him for 10. :lol: