Dyer given permission to talk to West Ham, fee agreed

iklgizmo

Homesick Dyer seems set for £5m move to West Ham

George Caulkin

Kieron Dyer was omitted from the Newcastle United squad for last night’s friendly against Celtic at St James’ Park and while the midfield player was in the stands – with the injured Michael Owen – to witness a 4-1 home win, he is now likely to complete a £5 million transfer to West Ham United.

Dyer has told Sam Allardyce, the Newcastle manager, that he wishes to live closer to his Ipswich-based family and a move to London is believed to be imminent. While Sven-Göran Eriks-son is an admirer of Dyer, geographical reasons rule Manchester City out of the running for the 28-year-old. Tottenham Hotspur also retain an interest – and may yet attempt to trump any offer from West Ham – but although Dyer is enthused by the prospect of working under Martin Jol, the strict wage structure at White Hart Lane counts against them.

Dyer earns in excess of £80,000 a week, a sum that does not worry Eggert Magnússon even if the West Ham chairman would prefer both the player and his present employers to compromise. Dyer’s long history of injury and illness remain concerns that, coupled with his salary, suggest Newcastle may be pressed to accept appearance-related payments.

On Wednesday, Allardyce paved the way for Dyer’s departure for “family reasons”, an eventuality that most supporters would not bemoan. His eight years on Tyneside have been peppered with disciplinary problems, long absences and underachievement, while Dyer, who is not overjoyed at Allardyce’s desire to play him on the wing, is understood to accept that his career would best be served by relocation.That would leave Allardyce seeking reinforcements in midfield, but it is in defence where his priorities lie. The sight of Steven Taylor, the centre half, leaving the pitch in discomfort last night was a worrying development.

Chris Mort, Newcastle’s new chairman, reiterated his support for Allardyce in programme notes that made no mention of Freddy Shepherd, Mort’s predecessor. “We have not set specific targets for Sam and we are not going to make wild promises for the future,” Mort said. “However, I think we have all been impressed by how Sam has set about his business.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/newcastle/article2148332.ece

£5m and £60k-£80k a week off the wage bill.

Reckon we could get someone like Giles Barnes in for £5-6m? Heard he is a bit like a young Dyer but taller and seems to have more of an eye for goal.

Reckon we could get someone like Giles Barnes in for £5-6m? Heard he is a bit like a young Dyer but taller and seems to have more of an eye for goal.

i reckon barnes would like to give derby one season in the prem before leaving

Probably right but you never know. I am sure £6m could be tempting for them aswell, 2-3 decents players instead of one really good one could make a lot of difference.

Probably right but you never know. I am sure £6m could be tempting for them aswell, 2-3 decents players instead of one really good one could make a lot of difference.

also derby have the chance of him turning in some decent performances and his price rocketing.

Thinking about it would anyone take Bouazza? (sp?) he is still young and available for £5m. Would have been a way OTT price last season but prices as they are at the moment maybe not.

£5m for Dyer? Snap. Hands. Off. Brilliant price if true.

No, just realistic. A good deal for both parties IMO. They get a cracking player when he's happy (down south) we get decent compensation for losing a cracking player who would rather be somwhere else.

if he does go to west ham it will be weird as the best way for dyer to play is the position of freddie ljungberg,a wide midfielder not expectedc to hit the by line and cross like a winger..................who has just left arsenal,now where did he go ?

Sven in Dyer grab

By PAT SHEEHAN

July 27, 2007

COMMENT ON THIS STORY

SVEN GORAN ERIKSSON is closing in on signing Kieron Dyer from Newcastle for £4.5million.

The Manchester City boss aims to continue his spending spree 24 hours after landing Martin Petrov for £4.7m from Atletico Madrid.

Dyer was expected to play for Newcastle at home to Celtic in a friendly last night.

But he was pulled out by new Toon boss Sam Allardyce in case a freak injury wrecked the move. Dyer spent the match in the stands.

Allardyce said: “We were just protecting our asset. There is a big value in him so I’m protecting him.”

It is understood Dyer could travel to Manchester today for a medical before the surprise switch is rubber-stamped.

He would become the first English player signed by Swede Eriksson since he took the reigns at Eastlands following the club’s takeover by Thaksin Shinawatra.

Eriksson included Dyer in many of his squads as England boss and believes he can get the best out of the winger.

Newcastle have let it be known they are prepared to allow Dyer to move on and are understood to have dropped their asking price from £6m to give the transfer a push.

Dyer was a one-time West Ham target but the big spending Londoners have failed to follow up their interest.

The impending move will come as a relief for Dyer, who will jump at the chance to kick start his career under Eriksson.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007340675,00.html

Relative to the current market we're operating in it's not. £5m? Cardiff got that for Chopra. Birmingham offered 6M for Mido. I don't think £5m is much money at all at the moment, I'd expect an experienced England international to be going for more money than Mido or Chopra. We're being taken advantage of here, by a rival club, and I think we'll be weaker at the end of it.

Relative to the current market we're operating in it's not. £5m? Cardiff got that for Chopra. Birmingham were willing to pay 6M for Mido. I don't think £5m is much money at all at the moment, I'd expect an experienced England international to be going for more money than Mido or Chopra.

Wigan paid more than that for Koumas didn't they?

Could me get a better replacement for £5 million? Doubtful.

Would Ashley be prepared to add towards it for us to get us a better player? Who knows.

Guest WalkervilleMag

Would Ashley be prepared to add towards it for us to get us a better player? Who knows.

Considering our efforts to replace the 4 defenders we let go I'm not holding my breath.

think it's more Defenders turning us down due to no european football, than lacl of funds ect

Guest sharath

That's a right crock of s***, not sure a transfer's ever been done on that basis before. Other than those paying a fraction more when they reach 100 appearances or Europe or whatever.

it happens actually. like rooney to united or beckham to madrid.

we paid 10m in first year and another 10m in next year.

same with becks to madrid.

I'll be a bit disappointed when he does go, whichs seems likely.  But only because when we signed him at 20, he seemed to have it all, and could have been a real star and England regular.  Sadly, 8 years later,  he's not improved as a player in any department since then.