Next signing an experienced centre-half for 'free' (Chronicle)

Rich

Guest sicko2ndbest

Cant believe this. This is getting stupid!

Rozehnal winning fitness race SSN

By Vasek Kadlec -  Created on 31 Jul 2007

Newcastle United's summer signing David Rozehnal is struggling with a groin injury, but should be fit for the start of the new season.

The Czech Republic international, who has played in all four of The Magpies' pre-season fixtures, is currently undergoing treatment on the strain.

The former PSG stopper is happy with his displays for Sam Allardyce's troops and believes he has coped with the physical demands of English football.

"My only problem is that I have a got a small groin strain, but I'm working with the doctors to get it better," he told Sport.

"I think I've done well in the friendlies. In all of them I was playing from the first minute and I would say I have stood my ground.

"In the first game I felt the toughness. It won't all be about toughness, it'll be about strength, aggression over the first five metres and an intense tempo.

"I know the player I am and I know my weak and strong points. I feel that I can cope. I have improved my fitness a lot."

Rozehnal believes he is settling well at St James' due to the vast spectrum of ages and nationalities of players at the North East outfit.

"We are mixed in terms of age and nationality. I always have someone to talk to," he continued.

"We don't have any prima donnas which would spoil the team spirit, which is good."

Guest toontoon

PREM DUO BATTLE FOR DRAG

Newcastle United and Manchester City are ready to battle it out for the signature of Ivica Dragutinovic.

The Serbian stopper is highly-regarded by his club Sevilla - but the 31-year-old is keen to test himself in the Premier League and with just one-year left on his current deal, a move looks possible.

Dragutinovic, who can play in central defence or at left back, was linked with a move to City earlier this month - but now Newcastle are set to rival them for his signature.

Reports in Spain claim that a Newcastle delegation has travelled to Seville to open talks in a bid to seal a quick move.

Dragutinovic is aware of the interest from England and is keen on the switch and it now remains to be seen which, if any, can broker a dela with Sevilla.

Anyone know much about him?

Only one year left on his contract so he should be available for a cut-price fee as long as City and ourselves don't get involved in a bidding war.

Anyone know much about him?

Only one year left on his contract so he should be available for a cut-price fee as long as City and ourselves don't get involved in a bidding war.

Yes, he can play central defence or at left back, he's 31 and looking to play in the Premiership.

Remember what happened the last time a Toon delegation flew to Spain? They came back with f*** all. Not listening till I see him in B&W on .co.uk

And the time before that? :sign19: :sign17::sign19: :sign17::sign19: :sign17::sign19: :sign17::sign19: :sign17:

Who knows where all these rumours come from, but Faye & Dragutinovic seem like the sort of players Sam has been describing.  Experienced, strong defenders.  A 31 year old might not be the long term solution, but thats not what we need at this point.  Fingers crossed.

NE5, howay man, as far as I can see that was a marvelous job you just did of skirting the real issue/shifting the blame onto others (who I'd already mentioned in my original reply to you - I do realise you're not the only one with an apparent "agenda"/what appears to others as an "agenda".)

Being a gent, I'll actually reply to what you say though, makes for good debate you see? :lol:

As far as I can see Big Sam is frustrated with the takeover more than anything, because after this "rip roaring" start we were all so enthused about things seem to have fallen a little bit flat after Ashley has got a firm grip over the club and taken us off the market. Whether this situation is short-term (as I'm inclined to agree) or long-term remains to be seen, but I'm of the opinion that you're not going to shell out £130M on a football club and take on a rumoured £80M debt unless you want to get some money back out of it, or at least raise your public profile, or something. So the personal investment will probably come, which is where we would have been lacking had Shepherd stayed (either yourself or HTL agreed with me a while back about the worry of "falling behind" these clubs with "new money" under Shepherd and Co.)

None of us know the reasons and you're completely valid in your concerns about them not "knowing the game" - concerns I share with you - but concerns that again will be short-term while Mort gets to grips with the job, aided by Allardyce - who we both seem to agree was a fantastic appointment by the previous board who unfortunately came a few years too late, much like Bobby Robson. But at least Shepherd got his man eventually - and yes, he SHOULD be backed, but not to the point of financial problems - like we were heading towards under the old regime. Like I've said, I think you're worrying too early, it's only bloody July and they've had full and unmitigated control for less than 12 full days. It's asking a lot... and we don't even know that there's no money  there. Only last week Allardyce was quoted as saying there were "lots of bids in for players" and various deals hadn't worked out, etc. so we are actively moving in the market and more money is going to be spent on transfer fees and wages.

We should also not forget that Mort and Ashley are funding Allardyce's backroom plans - much like Shepherd also promised - and that we are still "poaching" staff from clubs to make up his "team" behind the scenes. None of which will be coming cheap and all of which points to "backing the manager". If they really wanted to squeeze Big Sam they would not be building him this "war room" or bankrolling his recruitment drive, would they? This is all stuff that they are definitely doing for him, as it's come from the horse's mouth.

You and Baggio are correct in addressing this apparent "blind faith" amongst some on here about "anyone being better than Shepherd", when it could well be proven to be very, very far from the actual truth. But as I've said, I think you've blown your wad somewhat by getting onto the back of the new board merely 12 days after the de-listing of the football club and harmed your credibility on this issue because of it. You've just agreed there though that we "can" panic on September 1st if things turn out as badly as they did last summer, which is fair enough on your part.

As for the £10M quid comment, for all we know it could be there, as I've said we don't know what's available and there is as much media evidence both from internal AND external sources to say that Big Sam will be backed than there is to say that he won't. He's criticised them for moving slowly and missing targets but has he actually said they aren't providing him the money to pursue people? The last I saw from him he said he picks the names and Mort does the negotiating, he has not been set any price restrictions.

You're already saying we'll lose Allardyce because of the new board, 12 days into their full reign, which is grossly unfair on people who are admittedly brand-new to the football business. That's all the ammo you have, though, at this moment in time - the only stick you currently have to beat Mike Ashley and Chris Mort with is the fact that they aren't experienced at running a football club. I mentioned earlier the potential need for Shepherd staying on, or Dein coming in (which they tried to do, apparently) or a DOF being brought in to bridge the "gap" between manager and board (if there is one), but you completely ignored it and stuck "on message."

Basically, I appreciate why you have the concerns you do, but I feel you've been a bit hasty in airing them. I also strongly believe you'd be on exactly the opposite side of the fence if Shepherd was still in control, while the likes of Mick would probably be slating the former chairman at this stage in proceedings while you did the whole "32 days left" line that I've been pulling. You'll probably both deny it, but from what I've seen I'd wager a lot on that being the case.

That was the point of my last post and that is why it appears to people on the "outside" that you both have agendas for/against the previous Chairman.

Good post, I said I'd reply, and being a gent I am LOL

I don't disagree with most of this. I can accept that I am maybe being hasty, however it is the words of Allardyce and his apparent frustration which worry me. Be honest, he must know whats going on if anyone does, it does appear to be the case he is frustrated.

You don't need to understand football to see that we are short on numbers, maybe not quality if we had our full team out to do quite well, but how often will we put our full team out. We are short on numbers, and personally, I am not in favour generally of buying "squad" players unless they come at a particular "gift" price, by far the better way is to buy outright quality first off, who push the current first teamer into the "squad" pile.

I've seen us lose 2 good managers in the past, Arthur Cox and Gordon Lee. They both expressed similar frustrations to what Allardyce has said, before walking out.  Having wanted Allardyce since Bobby Robson left and got him I do not want this to happen again with a manager I want to keep.

When the club became a PLC, I was unhappy because I thought it would hinder them in the transfer market and compete for top players. When it didn't happen, I was quite relieved and pleased about it. If or when Ashley backs his manager as much as he can, and I don't mean throw money at him Abramovic style you can't ask or expect this, then I will feel the same. If you think that I would have taken a different view had the old board been here and we only spent 1.7m net on transfers, then you are probably right, but that is because they had shown their intentions to back their managers over the years so there was no reason to doubt them.

Is this fair ?

BTW, ToonsTaylor made a good point last night when he commented on the fact that the lack of public statements and comments is attracting bad publicity. I believe this to be true. I think Newcastle United are a club that needs publicity. I know that Shepherd said daft things but I think people will get fed up quite quickly of having no PR info coming out of the club, in spite of the fact that they said this is what they wanted. Time will tell.

NE5, howay man, as far as I can see that was a marvelous job you just did of skirting the real issue/shifting the blame onto others (who I'd already mentioned in my original reply to you - I do realise you're not the only one with an apparent "agenda"/what appears to others as an "agenda".)

Being a gent, I'll actually reply to what you say though, makes for good debate you see? :lol:

As far as I can see Big Sam is frustrated with the takeover more than anything, because after this "rip roaring" start we were all so enthused about things seem to have fallen a little bit flat after Ashley has got a firm grip over the club and taken us off the market. Whether this situation is short-term (as I'm inclined to agree) or long-term remains to be seen, but I'm of the opinion that you're not going to shell out £130M on a football club and take on a rumoured £80M debt unless you want to get some money back out of it, or at least raise your public profile, or something. So the personal investment will probably come, which is where we would have been lacking had Shepherd stayed (either yourself or HTL agreed with me a while back about the worry of "falling behind" these clubs with "new money" under Shepherd and Co.)

None of us know the reasons and you're completely valid in your concerns about them not "knowing the game" - concerns I share with you - but concerns that again will be short-term while Mort gets to grips with the job, aided by Allardyce - who we both seem to agree was a fantastic appointment by the previous board who unfortunately came a few years too late, much like Bobby Robson. But at least Shepherd got his man eventually - and yes, he SHOULD be backed, but not to the point of financial problems - like we were heading towards under the old regime. Like I've said, I think you're worrying too early, it's only bloody July and they've had full and unmitigated control for less than 12 full days. It's asking a lot... and we don't even know that there's no money  there. Only last week Allardyce was quoted as saying there were "lots of bids in for players" and various deals hadn't worked out, etc. so we are actively moving in the market and more money is going to be spent on transfer fees and wages.

We should also not forget that Mort and Ashley are funding Allardyce's backroom plans - much like Shepherd also promised - and that we are still "poaching" staff from clubs to make up his "team" behind the scenes. None of which will be coming cheap and all of which points to "backing the manager". If they really wanted to squeeze Big Sam they would not be building him this "war room" or bankrolling his recruitment drive, would they? This is all stuff that they are definitely doing for him, as it's come from the horse's mouth.

You and Baggio are correct in addressing this apparent "blind faith" amongst some on here about "anyone being better than Shepherd", when it could well be proven to be very, very far from the actual truth. But as I've said, I think you've blown your wad somewhat by getting onto the back of the new board merely 12 days after the de-listing of the football club and harmed your credibility on this issue because of it. You've just agreed there though that we "can" panic on September 1st if things turn out as badly as they did last summer, which is fair enough on your part.

As for the £10M quid comment, for all we know it could be there, as I've said we don't know what's available and there is as much media evidence both from internal AND external sources to say that Big Sam will be backed than there is to say that he won't. He's criticised them for moving slowly and missing targets but has he actually said they aren't providing him the money to pursue people? The last I saw from him he said he picks the names and Mort does the negotiating, he has not been set any price restrictions.

You're already saying we'll lose Allardyce because of the new board, 12 days into their full reign, which is grossly unfair on people who are admittedly brand-new to the football business. That's all the ammo you have, though, at this moment in time - the only stick you currently have to beat Mike Ashley and Chris Mort with is the fact that they aren't experienced at running a football club. I mentioned earlier the potential need for Shepherd staying on, or Dein coming in (which they tried to do, apparently) or a DOF being brought in to bridge the "gap" between manager and board (if there is one), but you completely ignored it and stuck "on message."

Basically, I appreciate why you have the concerns you do, but I feel you've been a bit hasty in airing them. I also strongly believe you'd be on exactly the opposite side of the fence if Shepherd was still in control, while the likes of Mick would probably be slating the former chairman at this stage in proceedings while you did the whole "32 days left" line that I've been pulling. You'll probably both deny it, but from what I've seen I'd wager a lot on that being the case.

That was the point of my last post and that is why it appears to people on the "outside" that you both have agendas for/against the previous Chairman.

Good post, I said I'd reply, and being a gent I am LOL

I don't disagree with most of this. I can accept that I am maybe being hasty, however it is the words of Allardyce and his apparent frustration which worry me. Be honest, he must know whats going on if anyone does, it does appear to be the case he is frustrated.

You don't need to understand football to see that we are short on numbers, maybe not quality if we had our full team out to do quite well, but how often will we put our full team out. We are short on numbers, and personally, I am not in favour generally of buying "squad" players unless they come at a particular "gift" price, by far the better way is to buy outright quality first off, who push the current first teamer into the "squad" pile.

I've seen us lose 2 good managers in the past, Arthur Cox and Gordon Lee. They both expressed similar frustrations to what Allardyce has said, before walking out.  Having wanted Allardyce since Bobby Robson left and got him I do not want this to happen again with a manager I want to keep.

When the club became a PLC, I was unhappy because I thought it would hinder them in the transfer market and compete for top players. When it didn't happen, I was quite relieved and pleased about it. If or when Ashley backs his manager as much as he can, and I don't mean throw money at him Abramovic style you can't ask or expect this, then I will feel the same. If you think that I would have taken a different view had the old board been here and we only spent 1.7m net on transfers, then you are probably right, but that is because they had shown their intentions to back their managers over the years so there was no reason to doubt them.

Is this fair ?

BTW, ToonsTaylor made a good point last night when he commented on the fact that the lack of public statements and comments is attracting bad publicity. I believe this to be true. I think Newcastle United are a club that needs publicity. I know that Shepherd said daft things but I think people will get fed up quite quickly of having no PR info coming out of the club, in spite of the fact that they said this is what they wanted. Time will tell.

Good post, very sensible and i agree with most.

Guest arkanoider

This afternoon the sport spanish radiostation Marca (the same as the newspaper) has told that Newcastle United are very close to sign Ivica Dragutinovic from Sevilla. They have said that before the week ends Ivica  will be a NUFC player.

Ta luuueekk ;)

Guest Toon83

wikipedia:

He also holds Belgian passport, so he is not included in the three non-EU player quota of La Liga. On 30th July 2007, it was reported that Dragutinović signed for Manchester City F.C.

Sam: "i'm very confident that in the near future we will be picking up 1 or 2 players"  followed by

"the defenders have done well in the last few geams, but that is the area we are concentrating"

I like the sound of that.