Alan Oliver: 'top manager' contact claim?

KaKa

Out of interest NE5, and I'm not trying to pick holes here, who would YOU like to see become the next Newcastle manager? Name as many names as you like.

I've said for years, I would ask Wenger to name his price

no point in doing that. he wouldnt come here no matter how much money he got.

if you don't take a shot you don't score a goal.

If he says no, then look elsewhere. But you never know what a new challenge with the prospect of new rewards could do.

Quite simply, I don't agree that people should lower expectations. I think if you don't have ambition to succeed, you may as well not bother playing.

Slightly different, and I know some people don't agree with this. I would do anything to improve the club. I would move ground. I think they made a huge mistake not moving anywhere in the city where they could build a 70,000 stadium. I don't care about tradition, I want the team to genuinely challenge manure, in this country.

And - biggest of all - every manager in this country [and a growing amount abroad in the last 15 years] have came to see what rewards managing Newcastle to a trophy would bring them. Any manager with confidence in his ability would at least listen to the question.

One last challenge.

what managers would you look to when wenger turns you down then?

I'm nor sure. Alex Ferguson is now 5-10 years too late. He asked me who would be number 1 Johnny, and I answered.

I don't follow the foreign game so much, I don't have the time to watch everything or pay all my attention to it. I also think that there will be managers in the lower leagues who could be big managers but probably won't get the chance because of foreign managers. Everybody is bringing in foreign managers because they have won foreign trophies, but there is still only the FA Cup and the league.

Its a gamble and a lottery whoever you choose. How often have you seen the manager of the future get a big job and fade into oblivion or make a huge mess of it. We found it with Dalglish, who was just as qualified as Mourinhho is now. And Gullit too who had won the FA Cup and apparently was going to be one of the top guys. Even waffling shitbag O'Leary when at Leeds became a candidate to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson.

See Jurgen Klinnsman. Is he the new O'Leary, Gullit or the new Hitzfeld.

So you look at the obvious people like Lippi, Ottmar Hitzfeld. Are they as good as Ferguson and Wenger if they are competing directly against them ? You will have to try, to find out. I certainly don't think that they wouldn't be attracted to the club, I think they would be mad if they didn't look and listen.

i get your point, but neither gullit, klansman or o'leary are close to lippi. we have been taking quite big risks since SBR, and now we must play it "safe", and get someone whos proven on the highest level. i know many rated allardyce before he came here, but both players and managers have a tendency to get extra hyped because theyre english (ex. nugent, curtis davies etc.)

Out of interest NE5, and I'm not trying to pick holes here, who would YOU like to see become the next Newcastle manager? Name as many names as you like.

If he says no, then look elsewhere. But you never know what a new challenge with the prospect of new rewards could do.

Quite simply, I don't agree that people should lower expectations. I think if you don't have ambition to succeed, you may as well not bother playing.

Slightly different, and I know some people don't agree with this. I would do anything to improve the club. I would move ground. I think they made a huge mistake not moving anywhere in the city where they could build a 70,000 stadium. I don't care about tradition, I want the team to genuinely challenge manure, in this country.

And - biggest of all - every manager in this country [and a growing amount abroad in the last 15 years] have came to see what rewards managing Newcastle to a trophy would bring them. Any manager with confidence in his ability would at least listen to the question.

One last challenge.

I'm nor sure. Alex Ferguson is now 5-10 years too late. He asked me who would be number 1 Johnny, and I answered.

I don't follow the foreign game so much, I don't have the time to watch everything or pay all my attention to it. I also think that there will be managers in the lower leagues who could be big managers but probably won't get the chance because of foreign managers. Everybody is bringing in foreign managers because they have won foreign trophies, but there is still only the FA Cup and the league.

Its a gamble and a lottery whoever you choose. How often have you seen the manager of the future get a big job and fade into oblivion or make a huge mess of it. We found it with Dalglish, who was just as qualified as Mourinhho is now. And Gullit too who had won the FA Cup and apparently was going to be one of the top guys. Even waffling shitbag O'Leary when at Leeds became a candidate to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson.

So you look at the obvious people like Lippi, Ottmar Hitzfeld. Are they as good as Ferguson and Wenger if they are competing directly against them ? You will have to try, to find out. I certainly don't think that they wouldn't be attracted to the club, I think they would be mad if they didn't look and listen.

i get your point, but neither gullit, klansman or o'leary are close to lippi. we have been taking quite big risks since SBR, and now we must play it "safe", and get someone whos proven on the highest level. i know many rated allardyce before he came here, but both players and managers have a tendency to get extra hyped because theyre english (ex. nugent, curtis davies etc.)

Lippi started somewhere too, remember. Its such a lottery though. One of those 3 "could have became one of the real top men, and somebody somewhere out there is destined to replace/join the current top men.

I agree though. If somebody is going to bring these people into the premiership, why not us.

One last challenge.

Lippi started somewhere too, remember. Its such a lottery though. One of those 3 "could have became one of the real top men, and somebody somewhere out there is destined to replace/join the current top men.

I agree though. If somebody is going to bring these people into the premiership, why not us.

agree, but now is not the time for us to give those who someday will replace the top men, we need the already proven top men. let other clubs develop the managers, we need one whos proven.

I very much agree. Appointing a manager is always a risk. There is never a guarantee that it will work out. There are very few managers who imho could walk into every club and be successful. An experieced manager with a good track record can fail whereas even a totally untried newbie (as Keegan for example) can be a huge success. Club and manager just have to fit together. Unfortunately something that wasn't the case with the last three Newcastle appointments.

You are right about Klinsmann. Imho he is very much of the same mentality as Keegan and could lift the club with his positive approach to things and his ideas - then again he easily could fail as spectacularly as Gullit (with whom he probably also shares many similarities). I still would give it a try.

I can't think of any managers in the lower leagues who have stood out for me in recent years. I always liked Burley who I thought would be up for greater things but seems to have stalled in recent years.

People should definitely forget about Hitzfeld. Next he is either going to take the Swiss national job in the summer or going back to work as a pundit. He made it clear that Bayern is very likely to be his last club job.

I very much agree. Appointing a manager is always a risk. There is never a guarantee that it will work out. There are very few managers who imho could walk into every club and be successful. An experieced manager with a good track record can fail whereas even a totally untried newbie (as Keegan for example) can be a huge success. Club and manager just have to fit together. Unfortunately something that wasn't the case with the last three Newcastle appointments.

You are right about Klinsmann. Imho he is very much of the same mentality as Keegan and could lift the club with his positive approach to things and his ideas - then again he easily could fail as spectacularly as Gullit (with whom he probably also shares many similarities). I still would give it a try.

I can't think of any managers in the lower leagues who have stood out for me in recent years. I always liked Burley who I thought would be up for greater things but seems to have stalled in recent years.

People should definitely forget about Hitzfeld. Next he is either going to take the Swiss national job in the summer or going back to work as a pundit. He made it clear that Bayern is very likely to be his last club job.

can you tell us a bit more about Klinsmann? what kind of ideas he'd bring, sort of players he likes and so on. surely his part-time approach to the german national team wouldn't bode well for a club job, not least such a 24/7 job like newcastle where you can never escape the 'goldfish bowl'.

can you tell us a bit more about Klinsmann? what kind of ideas he'd bring, sort of players he likes and so on. surely his part-time approach to the german national team wouldn't bode well for a club job, not least such a 24/7 job like newcastle where you can never escape the 'goldfish bowl'.

I'd say from his ideas he is very much like Allardyce (sports science, fitness regimes, analytics etc.- so I think Klinsmann would be happy with the foundations of Fat Sam) just that he has a very positive approach to football. He thinks football should be fun (for players and fans) and that a team should play to score goals and win games. Though, when people are judging him on his achievements with the German national team they easily forget that Klinsmann was not on his own. He knew he could not just walk into a managment job and therefore made sure he got an experienced manager who shared his ideas as his assistant. This was Löw - who then took over. So I guess Klinsmann would try to have a similar (probably English) person next to him in a club job as well.

One last challenge.

agree, but now is not the time for us to give those who someday will replace the top men, we need the already proven top men. let other clubs develop the managers, we need one whos proven.

been watching Bob Moncur earlier, he says that - now, he doesn't care if someone is a big name, medium name or small name, so long as they deliver success.

I agree with his sentiments completely. But I am agreeing with what you say, in the absence of someone lesser known who stands out, I think we should go with the odds, and pray.

I'd say from his ideas he is very much like Allardyce (sports science, fitness regimes, analytics etc.- so I think Klinsmann would be happy with the foundations of Fat Sam) just that he has a very positive approach to football. He thinks football should be fun (for players and fans) and that a team should play to score goals and win games. Though, when people are judging him on his achievements with the German national team they easily forget that Klinsmann was not on his own. He knew he could not just walk into a managment job and therefore made sure he got an experienced manager who shared his ideas as his assistant. This was Löw - who then took over. So I guess Klinsmann would try to have a similar (probably English) person next to him in a club job as well.

thanks. maybe someone like keegan, who spent a few years in germany after all.  :cheesy:

One last challenge.

been watching Bob Moncur earlier, he says that - now, he doesn't care if someone is a big name, medium name or small name, so long as they deliver success.

I agree with his sentiments completely. But I am agreeing with what you say, in the absence of someone lesser known who stands out, I think we should go with the odds, and pray.

praying but expecting the worse is all im doing :laugh2:

Oh dear. :lol:

All United would hint at today was that they are looking for an experienced manager who is with a club, and that rules out the likes of Martin Jol, Jose Mourinho, Marcello Lippi and Ottmar Hitzfeld

Must be dreaming that he's manager of Bayern then.

Swiss National side?

Oh dear. :lol:

All United would hint at today was that they are looking for an experienced manager who is with a club, and that rules out the likes of Martin Jol, Jose Mourinho, Marcello Lippi and Ottmar Hitzfeld

Must be dreaming that he's manager of Bayern then.

Oh dear, you must be...

Im not being funny but you'd have to have a pretty limited knowledge of football to have your "socks blown off" by the likes of Hughes and Redknapp offering there serives to us,team which are witin 8 points of us.

I must have  missed something. Has it been confirmed that the "SOCKS BLOWN OFF" person was either Hughes or Redknapp.

Im not being funny but you'd have to have a pretty limited knowledge of football to have your "socks blown off" by the likes of Hughes and Redknapp offering there serives to us,team which are witin 8 points of us.

I must have  missed something. Has it been confirmed that the "SOCKS BLOWN OFF" person was either Hughes or Redknapp.

No but the same person who made the "socks blown off claim" follows up the story with a "Its 50/50 between Hughes and Redknapp"

1+1=...

No but the same person who made the "socks blown off claim" follows up the story with a "Its 50/50 between Hughes and Redknapp"

1+1=...

Someone with limited football knowledge could get their socks blown off by Redknapp or Hughes.

1+1=...

Someone with limited football knowledge could get their socks blown off by Redknapp or Hughes.

Mort.

1+1=...

You speak as though Ashley and Mort had never even heard of the sport before they came to the club

"Foot....ball? Now what is that?"

I mean we don't have any experience in running football clubs but we know who's better than who, I guess they do too; heck my mates who hate football even know that a Mourhino is better than a Redknapp.

1+1=...

About the 10th time ive head you say that! bluerazz.gif

Im not sayin that someone socks didnt get blown off, im just saying that its pretty clear that if Oliver was telling the truth in his original article it was either Hughes or Arry who we was refering to...

1+1=...

I dont think someone who has been continuosly involved with football 14 hours a day for the past 7 months running one of th biggest clubs in england canbe described as someone with limited football knowledge. I also dont think someone like Harry redknapp or Hughes, managers of clubs who are within 8 points of us in the league are names which would "blow the chairmens socks off" think about it.