Kieron Dyer

DJ_NUFC

8 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Shearer was as much to blame as Bellamy etc, if not far more. Was unhappy about being brought off late on in a friendly at 34 and made it clear. 

Never thought it was coincidence he was sacked 2 days after dropping him for Kluivert.

I was there, 4-2 Villa away. Atmosphere was horrific. SBR looked gutted - I'll never forget that game.

1 hour ago, Big Geordie said:

SBR had a problem with Solano being away playing for Peru - meant he often arrived back late for our PL games.

SBR, hinted Solano purposely got sent off playing for Villa so he could catch a flight to Peru.

SBR wanted the best for the club but then as a national captain and hero i really have huge respect for Nobby. 

and to be honest even a tired Nobby was much better than anyone else. He was that fucking good at that time, the second best right midfield behind Backham in EPL.

13 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Shearer was as much to blame as Bellamy etc, if not far more. Was unhappy about being brought off late on in a friendly at 34 and made it clear. 

Never thought it was coincidence he was sacked 2 days after dropping him for Kluivert.

Shearer at that time is just like CR7 now. Legendary player but couldn’t accept decisions that were made for the best of the team

8 hours ago, Menace said:

I was there, 4-2 Villa away. Atmosphere was horrific. SBR looked gutted - I'll never forget that game.

Me too, made worse by some fans clapping Nobby as he went to take a corner and other fans taking exception at this. Then Nobby whipped it in and Villa scored. There was plenty of handbags going on after that! 

23 hours ago, Menace said:

yeah me too.

sure their keeper should have seen red early on, or was that a different game?

shearer had too much power at the club and i think freddie was in awe of him. Al stayed a year or two too long. sentiemnt got the best of us.

1 hour ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

While we're discussing Kieron Dyer and his time here this is a great story and shows just how brilliant a man manager Sir Bobby was :love:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMFxAkDga/

Reminded me of that Bellamy story where he kicked off at Carver in the airport I think, must have been before travelling somewhere for a game, and Bellamy was all ready to leave and sack it off, and he said Robson put his arm around him, started talking to him and walking with him and all of a sudden he was on the plane :lol: 

Just had a chance to watch that Dyer pod. I suppose 2 things strike me about Dyer;

1. He seems like a sound lad, open about his mistakes and problems and genuinely the sort of guy you could have a pint with.

2. He's doing his coaching badges and has aspirations for management but he seems to have the last personality you want as manager. He can't seem to control his language ( I know that's petty but compare that to the cool calmness of the best managers around in interviews), he also gives his opinion too much. Its fine when you are a pundit but if you are a manager, you can't be seen to have given your opinion on x, y and z. Eventually that comes back and bites you in the arse.

I'd actually like to see him more as a pundit because I reckon he'd have the balls to question other pundits opinions.

27 minutes ago, STM said:

Just had a chance to watch that Dyer pod. I suppose 2 things strike me about Dyer;

1. He seems like a sound lad, open about his mistakes and problems and genuinely the sort of guy you could have a pint with.

2. He's doing his coaching badges and has aspirations for management but he seems to have the last personality you want as manager. He can't seem to control his language ( I know that's petty but compare that to the cool calmness of the best managers around in interviews), he also gives his opinion too much. Its fine when you are a pundit but if you are a manager, you can't be seen to have given your opinion on x, y and z. Eventually that comes back and bites you in the arse.

I'd actually like to see him more as a pundit because I reckon he'd have the balls to question other pundits opinions.

Agree basically. He was a big part of the Robson CL years, and I'll always have fond memories because of that, but he never struck me as management material - but coach - why not?

Also agree he's a canny pundit when I've watched him, generally quite blunt and straight to the point, doesn't play up to the audience which I always appreciate.

30 minutes ago, STM said:

Got it on now and he comes across really well.  Agree with this up to a point.  But he's on a podcast with shouty, beardy, sweary man.  I don't see the language as an issue at all, he's not doing live work on Sky Sports.  It's perfectly fine in that environment.  

As for his opinions on stuff.  He doesn't have to play the manager/politician type straight bat with his answers.  Because he isn't a manager yet.  He just seems incredibly candid and open on this and maybe the whole liver thing has made him lean that way even more.  

Despite all of what I have just typed out.  I'm also not sure he is the type to be a manager.  Not sure why, maybe it's just my pre-conceived idea of him from when he was a player and also a bit of a twat. 

1 hour ago, STM said:

I mean Joey Barton is managing at League 1 level. If Joey can, Kieron can. The next Bobby Robson? Probably not.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Good luck to the lad 

Former England midfielder Kieron Dyer has left hospital after having a successful liver transplant.

The 44-year-old Chesterfield coach was diagnosed with primary sclerosing cholangitis, a chronic liver condition with no cure, in 2019.

He said in a statement that he was discharged from hospital on Thursday.

"The gratitude I feel for the position I find myself in has no bounds and I feel blessed to leave hospital feeling healthier than ever," Dyer said.

"Strangely, football has been even more important to me during this time.

"I have watched more games from my hospital bed in the last three months than in any other period of my life. I want to thank my hometown club Ipswich Town who have been in regular contact with me, and also Chesterfield.

"A particular thank you to the manager Paul Cook, who has given me the ability to contribute, even from hospital, where I've watched every fixture as the lads have made their way to the top of the National League table.

"In due course I look forward to returning to coaching and media work, but I respectfully ask for privacy for myself and my family at this time as I strive to make what I hope will be a full recovery."

Dyer won 33 caps for England and also had spells with Newcastle, West Ham, QPR and Middlesbrough.