Kieron Dyer

DJ_NUFC

My missis has PSC as well. It’s a horrible illness and a transplant is the only cure. Glad he’s on the mend because it gives a lot of hope to families such as my own going through the same circumstances.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just had a great hour with Kieron. Mentioned before that he’s got the same liver condition as my wife. It’s completely autoimmune and nothing to do with alcohol as a lot of people would think. It’s great to see him doing so well after his transplant.

Anyway, he’s a really genuine bloke and we did a full interview with him for the charity I’m a trustee for and we’ll stick it up on YouTube soon. 

https://x.com/23nsg/status/1768646461330198945?s=46&t=El8GynjsImMyo-gea2gO0A

Edited by NSG

Great to hear he’s doing alright after the transplant. I find it hard to place how I feel about Dyer from his playing days but I obviously wish him well

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

Great to hear he’s doing alright after the transplant. I find it hard to place how I feel about Dyer from his playing days but I obviously wish him well

Can understand the conflict, it's the same for me, he seems a rare breed that has actually shown a considerable amount of self-reflection post-playing days which has meant I've softened to him. 

But I'll still hold a grudge against him for sitting like an absolute dick on the back of the sofas with his feet on the seat in my old days of barwork. 

Edited by wormy

Definitely a case of the arrogance of youth and financial success being present for his whole playing career really. Have warmed to him more post-career although I don’t see a lot of him 

I used to have a lot of frustrations with him at NUFC at the time because I felt he had unfulfilled potential. Now I know more about his history,  I’d say there were pretty major mitigating circumstances in that regard, and to have the career he did was pretty remarkable.

4 minutes ago, NSG said:

I used to have a lot of frustrations with him at NUFC at the time because I felt he had unfulfilled potential. Now I know more about his history,  I’d say there were pretty major mitigating circumstances in that regard, and to have the career he did was pretty remarkable.

Looking forward to seeing the interview, does it cover some of the barriers to him while playing?

50 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think Dyer was under-rated looking back. We always looked a way better team when he was in it.

Always thought he was a good performer for England too. Shame about his injuries.

48 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Looking forward to seeing the interview, does it cover some of the barriers to him while playing?

A little bit yeah. Just watching it back now and I’m the most horrific interviewer. Speaking at 10000000mph :lol: 

1 hour ago, NSG said:

A little bit yeah. Just watching it back now and I’m the most horrific interviewer. Speaking at 10000000mph :lol: 

It's impossible to lower the bar that we are used to with NUFCtv. Don't sweat it.

Just now, Conjo said:

It's impossible to lower the bar that we are used to with NUFCtv. Don't sweat it.

Oh just wait :lol: 

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think Dyer was under-rated looking back. We always looked a way better team when he was in it.

Never a question of talent, it was his attitude and never ending injuries that blighted his time here. We did well to recoup our money off West Ham and he barely played for them either.

Dyer was highly rated in his teens and the first half of his twenties.  Easy to forget, but when the Ayia Napa scandal was printed in the News of the Screws in 2000, it was Dyer - not Rio Ferdinand or Frank Lampard - who was the biggest ‘name’ caught out, and the one who’s name was most prominent.

He pissed his career away, unfortunately.  He was a real talent.

Bloody awful what’s happening with his health, and to be fair to the bloke he comes across quite well these days; he seems to have become self-aware.  It’s a real shame that he didn’t when he was playing. 

On 15/03/2024 at 18:17, NSG said:

He talks really slowly, though. So probably makes it seem worse than it is. 

I thought the abuse he got in his later years was disproportional, I didn’t really get it. (I did a bit earlier). Was at his very last game away at Watford where he got booed on the ball like I’ve never seen again (and he scored). 

He was one of my favourites growing up and the frustration towards him, from me at least, was due to how many games he missed. Towards the end of his time, I remember him finally returning after a long absence and how electrifying he was. Looked a level above. 

Not far off miggy or ASM with the frustration/admiration extremes. He was such a filthy dribbler and electric though. Also a time his pace really set him apart against generally slower defences.

Wishing him good health!

i remember him tearing down the right wing towards the away fans at sothampton and getting chopped in half. ridiculous foul that put his world cup place in jeopardy.

loved him and bellars - both twats but our twats.