Kieron Dyer

DJ_NUFC

Guest firetotheworks

To be fair when he said quitter he was referring to his England stint. There’s definitely been times when he’s walked away from jobs early.

He said 'both times' about Newcastle and then specifically mentioned him leaving the first time and that we would have won the league if he'd stayed - which again I think is wrong tbh.

Yeah, think he was 30 not so long ago! Keegan era was way before my time, the cup finals of 98 and 99 we're my vague childhood memories. Better memories of the Robson and CL days though. Remember my late stepdad would come and get me out of bed once my Mum had gone to sleep so that we could watch the CL highlights on ITV. Of course wearing my Robert 32 shirt to bed!  :smitten:

Always loved Dyer as a kid, but like True Geordie wasn't impressed with what he had to say on the club. Over time think I did gain the impression that he was a bit of a prick without ever justifying to myself why.

Somehow my opinion that Bellamy is a knob has somehow been reinforced after watching the interview though.

Not enough Lauren Robert in the for my liking either - got a little mention at the end  :D

Guest Howaythetoon

If Bellamy was my mate, and the TG is ripping into him like he was, I’d have stepped in and defended him, the fact KD didn’t speaks volumes. Also that part where he thought he had helped keep us up, but his name wasn’t sang, yet we sang for Sibierski, that sums up KD’s attitude at the time, me myself and I. It’s also a reflection of his character as well. The likes of Shearer and Speed didn’t care about their name being sang, they cared about winning, about the team. Dyer was an individual who cared more about himself than the team and that’s why he refused to play wide or refused this and that tactic.

Someone needs to have a word with him about what he said about Keegan, mind. To me it seems pretty clear that he's either too young to know why he's talking rubbish, or hasn't done his homework where Keegan's concerned. If he knew, there's no way he'd dare say that about him.

I haven't watched this yet but I'll text my mate about it when I do don't worry!

He does say on the podcast that he thought Bobbys team with Dyer was more entertaining than Keegan and the actual entertainers. He's deffo too young to remember.

I'm only 28 but the idea of calling Keegan a quitter. :lol: Jesus Christ. Especially when you consider this day and age where if anything, people get on managers backs for hanging on for the payoff, some people will call one of our icons a quitter for walking away when he thinks it's right.

If Bellamy was my mate, and the TG is ripping into him like he was, I’d have stepped in and defended him, the fact KD didn’t speaks volumes. Also that part where he thought he had helped keep us up, but his name wasn’t sang, yet we sang for Sibierski, that sums up KD’s attitude at the time, me myself and I. It’s also a reflection of his character as well. The likes of Shearer and Speed didn’t care about their name being sang, they cared about winning, about the team. Dyer was an individual who cared more about himself than the team and that’s why he refused to play wide or refused this and that tactic.

Reckon that's harsh, tbh. He explained why he was hung up on that, and even though he's a dick, it's a not unreasonable train of thought. And he feels he was playing a big part in winning and improving the team. I dunno, he's done some shite things, but I guess I can relate to being fucked in the head and can recognise thought processes of other people who do shite things thanks to being fucked in the head! :lol:

Really enjoyed the podcast. Thought he seemed very honest, sometimes to his cost. Reminded me of how good a player he was on his day, how much I enjoyed watching him, and loved his appreciation of Nobby: still my all time favourite. Surprised that Martins was that much quicker than him and similarly that Bellamy wasn’t in the same league as him, pace wise.

Slightly disturbing mention of Dyer on Bulgarian TV the other day.

There's this twat - Evgeni Minchev - a local 'celebrity' here, famous for being outspokenly gay and acting like a complete prick in general. Anyway, he was doing a tour of his home for the cameras, showing off personal photographs and stuff. Among the photos of Royals and celebrities nobody has heard of, there was a picture of him and Dyer, which Minchev described as: "This is Kieron Dyer - one of the most famous English footballers and an amazing lover". Now this Minchev fella talks non-stop bullshit, so it's probably not true but it was surreal seeing good ol' Kieron's face, next to Evgeni fucking Minchev in between the photographs of the Queen and random Russian oligarchs.

Martins raw speed never benefitted is to be honest. He was on the pitch slower than the likes of Dyer, Bellamy, Robert.

In a certain sense you could say Shearer, Speed and Solano were faster players.

This is because these players had some or all of the following attributes: fast reactions, outstanding attacking movement, fast ball carrying or could simply just see the pass quicker.

This is why Robson will always be the greatest manager, he inherited four players, imperfect but with great offensive speed and identified other offensive players that could generate proper front foot football that frankly terrified everyone at that moment.

I didn't really have any intention of watching that. But I watched the first few minutes and ended up watching the lot over a couple of nights.

I think he comes across really well. It's basically I spent the first thirty years of my life behaving like an absolute bell end, now I'm trying to be a better man.

Not saying all is forgiven but if I was on 70k a week at that age I'm damn sure I'd have been a nightmare too. So would most people on here.

Let’s face it, most of us took some time to mature/sand down the rough edges (and still a work in progress for me!). We didn’t have to do it in the public eye in a very visible high profile job with all the scrutiny and, as mentioned, the opportunities that kind of wealth opens up for young people, largely from relatively improvised backgrounds. Fair play to the man. If you’re lucky, you live and learn.

Watched the majority of it. I’ve got half an hour left. He likes to refer to everything as “the thing” :lol: but he actually comes across really well and seems quite genuine.

FWIW. A mate of mine’s lad was in Ipswich’s academy for quite a while and he always maintained that Dyer was a top bloke and great with the kids. Said he came across nothing like he was portrayed in the media. I’ve seen him beered up at Newmarket races a few times and whilst he was carrying on like a bit flash and big time. He still stopped to say hello to people, at least and did seem sound enough.

I’m a bit torn with Dyer. I loved him back in the day and had him on the back of my shirt one year. But obviously started to go off him, like a lot of fans. Defintely been warming to him again recently and he is brave for speaking out. I’ve mentioned it on here, before and that was hard enough. For someone in his position to say it in public like that takes a lot of balls.

:lol: no way he’s 30 btw, looks about my age.

I thought he was early 40's like.

Even if he is only 30 surely he has read enough books, internet and been told stories to know that Kevin Keegan didn't quit and is the single most important person in the clubs modern history????

I mean when I was growing up I knew all about Jackie MIlburn, Bobby Mitchell and Joe Harvey without having seen any of them play.