Kieron Dyer

DJ_NUFC

It was this lad who I associate with the absolutely awful and completely untrue trite expression that I hate "it's like a new signing" as he always seemed to be injured.

I did see him outside the pictures once and a group of young lads came and asked him for his autograph and he happily gave them a signature each.

I think this post covers several threads at once.

Aye Paul Scholes he was not.  But better at CM and wide than pretty much 90% of the midfielders we’ve had since.  I would only have Cabaye over him.

So rare to have a CM with sheer pace and dribbling skills. Catch a loose ball in midfield and we were off on the counter. A very dynamic side.  We would run teams ragged. To the point a lot of teams would just sit back playing into Robert, Speed, Solano and Shearer strengths. 

It’s been a long time since we’ve been such an athletic team. 

The current team is shaping up to be extremely strong mind. The core is extremely powerful.  Get som explosive attacking players and we’ll be in business. 

Think he was better technically than some are giving Him credit for.  Strong first touch.  Able to play carpet football. Quick feet. Much better in tight spaces or playing short range passes than Sissoko for example.  Technically sound.  Nee Cabaye on the ball but it wouldn’t matter if he could run circles around him on a good day. 

If he knuckled down he could’ve been a better player. His attitude at the time has meant he’s not even liked by the club where he had all his career highlights. Only himself to blame.

Think he was better technically than some are giving Him credit for.  Strong first touch.  Able to play carpet football. Quick feet. Much better in tight spaces or playing short range passes than Sissoko for example.  Technically sound.  Nee Cabaye on the ball but it wouldn’t matter if he could run circles around him on a good day. 

If he knuckled down he could’ve been a better player. His attitude at the time has meant he’s not even liked by the club where he had all his career highlights. Only himself to blame.

Disagree. He had this horrible habit of passing to his team mates at shin/knee height meaning they had to get it under control before they could move it along. Like a pitching wedge.  His long passing was non existent also.

Disagree. He had this horrible habit of passing to his team mates at shin/knee height meaning they had to get it under control before they could move it along. Like a pitching wedge.  His long passing was non existent also.

Exactly this - his passing was really not very good.  His pace and movement were very useful to the way we played (together with Bellamy and Robert), but I think it is forgotten how much better Dyer was made to look by having Speed alongside him to cover for him and the intelligence of Solano outside him - Solano helped Dyer so much in that respect.

I think the main thing Dyer had going for him was that he had a very good understanding with Solano.  He could pop a short pass into Nobby, make a run in behind or into some space and Nobby had the ability to find him.  This also helped Solano get into some good crossing/shooting positions if Dyer gave him the ball back.  They were excellent together.

I think the main thing Dyer had going for him was that he had a very good understanding with Solano.  He could pop a short pass into Nobby, make a run in behind or into some space and Nobby had the ability to find him.  This also helped Solano get into some good crossing/shooting positions if Dyer gave him the ball back.  They were excellent together.

Yep. Solano started a lot of our goals from our own penalty area, he used to pick the ball up and look to play Dyer or Bellamy in with their lightning speed and we ripped some teams to shreds on the counter. Dyer wasn't a nice person, but he was one of our best players when he was actually fit.

He had much more pace than skill and was very injury prone. I think our judgement is clouded because of the fact that those were better times for us.

One of my least favourite players from that era. He was frightening for opposition players, mind.

Matches when he was "on" he was nearly unplayable (Southampton away in the FA Cup). Brilliant at driving us forward with the ball, often came deep to get involved, was a player who should have gone on to be better than he was if not for injuries and a fucking shit attitude. Still blame that one fullback for hurting him before the World Cup (Or Euros?) as I thought he was in the best form of his life.

Anyway, he's a fucking prick and the shit he spouts off about this club that made him so wealthy and the way he let down Sir Bobby time on was downright disgraceful.

Putting Dyer in the same bracket as Sissoko in terms of ability. [emoji38]

Nobody did that, but carry on.

Dyer was a better player than that mind. He wasn't headless chicken-like with his pace, his runs were very clever and fitted well in a team with Shearer, Speed, Robert, Bellamy...

If he was playing now he'd be a first choice in this England team.

He was a very good transition player with erratic end product, bordering on poor for the positions he got himself into.

Much better version of Sissoko in every respect.

More like tbh.

Unless I've missed something..?

Putting Dyer in the same bracket as Sissoko in terms of ability. [emoji38]

Nobody did that, but carry on.

Dyer was a better player than that mind. He wasn't headless chicken-like with his pace, his runs were very clever and fitted well in a team with Shearer, Speed, Robert, Bellamy...

If he was playing now he'd be a first choice in this England team.

He was a very good transition player with erratic end product, bordering on poor for the positions he got himself into.

Much better version of Sissoko in every respect.

More like tbh.

Unless I've missed something..?

Same bracket does not equal much better than.

I really liked Dyer, whilst he didn’t seem to be able to strike the ball hard, he was so quick, direct and purposeful I found him a joy to watch (at times). When we signed him (£6m in 1999, Gullit - misremebered it was Robison) he looked like a real superstar in the making. He had had a couple of exceptional seasons (whilst still a teenager I think) for Ipswich in the First Division/Champo. The most expensive transfer the season we signed him was Henry for £11m (Juve to Arsenal) which gives an indication of his perceived worth as young player. Never quite fulfilled his potential, but more to do with proneness to injury imo than ability or attitude.

Yep. Solano started a lot of our goals from our own penalty area, he used to pick the ball up and look to play Dyer or Bellamy in with their lightning speed and we ripped some teams to shreds on the counter. Dyer wasn't a nice person, but he was one of our best players when he was actually fit.

He put Solano ahead of Beckham in his best 11 and Merson had a meltdown.

Guest Howaythetoon

Funny how Dyer says fans have high expectations after he said he wanted to take Paul Scholes place in the England team. :spit:

:lol:

I'm sure he didn't even make that game thanks to injury.