Michael Chopra

Tsunami

Guest Sniffer

He was actually called the best natural finisher at manure. That makes him a goalscorer rather than a link up player IMO.

Especially as manure eventually gave up on rossi even though he was supposedly the next van N in terms of finishing.

They've got an option on him if he moves on I think. Anyway, anyone can tell Rossi is a link player / support striker and they've got Rooney and Tevez who are both outstanding in that role, so selling Rossi was a bit of a no-brainer really.

Whats that you are saying!? ManU had better players in his position so he moved on! Crazy that like!

I don't think he was ever given a chance and that he probably wasn't good enough but I do think once he had a run of games together towards the end of his last season here, he was gradually improving in each game.  Before that he had only really been given a couple of minutes at the end of games and always looked off the pace.  His willingness to chase seemingly lost balls and harrass defenders into errors meant that we scored a couple more goals and got penalties we would not have got otherwise.

He was actually called the best natural finisher at manure. That makes him a goalscorer rather than a link up player IMO.

The same was said about Jon Dahl Tomasson when he was here, it didn't mean he was well-suited to playing as an out-and-out striker either.

I envisaged him more as the Gerd Muller type poaching goals rather than a player that linked up play.

I certainly don't think he had / has it within him to play that role in the Premier League anyway.

Guest Knightrider

I've always wondered about Chopra and do believe he has excellent finishing abilities as he's shown in his first two outings for sunderland, hence why I've always been keen to see him get a chance or an extended run of games because for me, he is the type of player who has always needed that chance. He will never be top-class of course but if the mackems can supply him with chances, he'll put them away for fun and I can see him becoming quite a decent Premiership standard striker who while lacking an all-round game as a forward, will get you goals. I think in time we may regret letting him go or not giving him that much needed chance all young players need, especially young strikers. Time will tell. Pretty pleased for him myself, speaking purely as a fellow Geordie.

The same was said about Jon Dahl Tomasson when he was here, it didn't mean he was well-suited to playing as an out-and-out striker either.

Jon Dahl was a great finisher. Wasn't his fault he was asked to play as frontline striker when he clearly wasn't one.

Jon Dahl was a great finisher. Wasn't his fault he was asked to play as frontline striker when he clearly wasn't one.

Didn't he miss a sitter against Sheff Wed early in his Newcastle career which seemed to knock his confidence and from that moment he was doomed here.

Didn't he miss a sitter against Sheff Wed early in his Newcastle career which seemed to knock his confidence and from that moment he was doomed here.

His confidence certainly went but I think it was more from the general thing of having to play out of position in place of the injured Shearer.

I find it impossible to wish Chopra well while he's wearing a red and white shirt.

Most people know he'd rather be wearing a black and white one given half a chance.

I know, I don't have anything against him personally, but while he's a mackem I hope everything goes wrong for him on the pitch.

Guest Toony™®

I've always wondered about Chopra and do believe he has excellent finishing abilities as he's shown in his first two outings for sunderland, hence why I've always been keen to see him get a chance or an extended run of games because for me, he is the type of player who has always needed that chance. He will never be top-class of course but if the mackems can supply him with chances, he'll put them away for fun and I can see him becoming quite a decent Premiership standard striker who while lacking an all-round game as a forward, will get you goals. I think in time we may regret letting him go or not giving him that much needed chance all young players need, especially young strikers. Time will tell. Pretty pleased for him myself, speaking purely as a fellow Geordie.

like i said i watched a bit of cardiff last yr on telly and he was their top playmaker  with assists in double figures according to opta....

he is a very busy player. He also looked quite good in our end of season run in when we qualified for the intertoto- which if you remember started like all the games after shearer got injured. Didn't score but got couple of assists (one penalty) and helped midfielders move forward.

He is a very good link man which he will develop with the players.

His only problem  (that what newcastle were looking for in our type of football) was a target man who would head the ball down and control..which frankly for his size  is not his game.

Which is probably why he was let go.

Although Ameobi and Chopra upfront were decent in reserves  together - statistically speaking..

Guest elbee909

The "new Shearer" tag was the worst thing that could have happened for Chopra.  Stupid bastards, whoever gave him that.

I find it impossible to wish Chopra well while he's wearing a red and white shirt.

Most people know he'd rather be wearing a black and white one given half a chance.

Given half a chance, and enough ability. Neither of which he has.

And he still chose to play for them, making hin scum.

2nd minute of the first game of the season.

He also provided an awesome back-heel for Asprilla's goal in the same game.  Some may say he was clean through and trod on the ball mind.........

Sibierski 3 in 3 now, definitely going to finish top scorer.

He started well for us but couldn't keep it going, his goals will dry up then he'll just end up chasing the ball around the pitch.

Super Sib:

“Hopefully, the Newcastle fans will be pleased I scored because I had a great relationship with them up there.

“I will remember them for ever so if I’ve made them happy, it’s so much better. It means a lot to me because I’m a Newcastle fan.

“I did not want to leave Newcastle and I was sad for a month but I’m happy with the way it’s worked out.”