Michael Chopra

Tsunami

A very effective championship striker but not really up to it in the premiership.

Looking back, it baffles me btw that the likes of Ramage and Shola got their first-team chance whilst Chopra was pretty much always a reserve on the fringes

Chops never, ever looked like scoring though. He didn't look as inept as Shola did, but he looked much less like scoring.

A very effective championship striker but not really up to it in the premiership.

Looking back, it baffles me btw that the likes of Ramage and Shola got their first-team chance whilst Chopra was pretty much always a reserve on the fringes

Chops never, ever looked like scoring though. He didn't look as inept as Shola did, but he looked much less like scoring.

I think he's the type of striker who needs a team that creates chances, similar to Owen as there's not much else to his game other than goals.

Didn't Chopra start less than 10 games? Shola had 10 starts before 2002 if memory serves, without looking like a goalscoring threat whatsoever

Didn't Chopra start less than 10 games? Shola had 10 starts before 2002 if memory serves, without looking like a goalscoring threat whatsoever

Probably, don't know how many he started. Played in about 20 odd iirc. Shola was thrown into the first team out of necessity as I remember, he had to play up top on his own as an 18 yr old as there was literally no-one else fit. By the time chops was on the scene Shola sorta knew how to score a bit.

Chopra always had players ahead of him, and, imo, he made the right choice (for his career) to move on.

Yeah but had he stayed that season he would have got a decent amount of game time.  He obviously isn't as loyal as Shola.

Shola wouldn't leave if he was 10th down the line for a striker's spot. He probably still lives with his mum.

I think Shola and Chopra were always too close in their NUFC upbringing, was only ever going to be one or the other. Once Shola got his foot in the door of the first team it was over for Chopra unfortunately and he never go a chance :(

I reckon Chopra would be a double figure scorer in the PL IF he was played as a striker & given a run of games.  In this shite league he can blitz player with his pace in the top flight he cant use that as much but he would still have his lethal finishing to get him goals.

Guest Stephen927

I thought he looked pretty s*** in the premiership on the whole, found his level in the championship.

To be fair to the lad, Keane favoured a 4-5-1 formation with Jones up top on his own and Chopra playing right wing.

I thought he looked pretty s*** in the premiership on the whole, found his level in the championship.

Pretty much like our club & team it is shame chaps like Owen & Oba bailed out as there goal scoring records last year were about Chopra level. Lets not mention Viduka goal record while @ SJP.

Jon - Looks like you were right about Milner being a class act though.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

What I will say is this. If the Premiership was the Championship then Chopra would be one of the top scorers; put it like that and you have quite a powerful argument for resigning him.

I'LL CHOPRA DOWN TOON

MICHAEL CHOPRA put the boot into Newcastle after claiming his former club have been a ‘mess’ for years.

Lifelong Toon fan Chopra has watched from the outside following the Magpies’ amazing fall from grace – crashing down into the ­Championship and amassing ­mammoth debts on the way.

But Chopra says Newcastle, who have hired eight managers in five years, are now paying the price for allowing chaos to reign on ­Tyneside.

And the Cardiff striker, 25, has upped the ante ahead of ­tomorrow’s ­top-of-the-table clash by fearing his hometown club could even plunge into administration.

Chopra said: “It’s disappointing to see where Newcastle are but I’m not surprised. The club was in a mess five years ago when I was there – even back then it was in a state.

“You had players doing what they wanted and it got worse and worse.

“There was no stability and they were always changing the manager.

“You can’t keep running a club like that. They’ve had a good start to the season but it won’t surprise me if they went into ­administration the way they are going.

“It’s a hard division to get out of and it happened to Leeds – which shows it can happen to the biggest clubs.”

Chopra began his career at St James’s Park before the Geordie found his ‘home’ with Cardiff in 2006.

Now back in his second spell with the Bluebirds, the Championship’s top scorer is vowing to add to his seven league goals by shooting down his boyhood idols.

The ex-Sunderland £5m misfit said: “It’s a match I’ve been ­waiting for since the fixtures came out.

“I never felt I got a chance when I was there. I decided to get out ­before I destroyed my career.”

Newcastle midfielder Kevin ­Nolan last night hailed Chris Hughton’s achievement in taking Newcastle to the top of the Championship.

The caretaker boss will be named manager of the month for August ahead of tomorrow’s game.

And Nolan said: “There couldn’t be a better choice. Chris is just one huge genuine fella who makes sure ­everything is spot on.”

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/98330/I-ll-Chopra-down-toon-/

I never thought milner was anything special just nowhere near as bad as quite a few were making out.

:lol:

If you can find one post from me calling him anything more than a good young player I will give you a gold star.

Unfortunately the way forums are every opinion gets blown way out of proportion especially if it goes against popular opinion.