Mackems pre match thread

NSG

Harper

Beye Faye Roz Jose

Geremi Barton Emre Zoggy

Martins Viduka

same for me. Would prefer Butt to Barton, but since he is suspended i can't think of anyone else who could fulfill that role, with both Faye and Roz needed in defence, and Geremi on the right.

Can't see him playing that central midfield tbh, too lightweight. And he'll not drop Owen.

Agree that we won't see that XI. I'm fine with another central midfield (it'll probably be Smith and Barton), but I do think Martins should start though.

Can't see him playing that central midfield tbh, too lightweight. And he'll not drop Owen.

Agree that we won't see that XI. I'm fine with another central midfield (it'll probably be Smith and Barton), but I do think Martins should start though.

Smith and Barton would be too depressing for words. Emre has to start for me, so it might be an option to play Taylor or Cacapa (!) alongside Faye in defence so that Emre has a more solid partner in Rozehnal. Agree about Martins too, if we're playing deep we'll need him for counter-attacks.

If we play with width (Zog left, Milner right this time, no messing about) and have a combination of pace and height up front then we'll give ourselves a fighting chance of winning the game.

Up front and central midfield are the tricky positions to decide. In midfield I'd go for Geremi and Emre. Barton doesn't look fit and Smith's off the ball antics don't compensate for what little he does on the ball. Butt is suspended. Up front I think most of us agree Viduka should start if he is fit. I think I'd be tempted to drop Owen and play Martins for this one. Away from home where the opposition push their defence a bit higher tends to be where Martins can use his pace and I just fancy him to produce something in this game. Owen wouldn't be a bad shout either though, it's either/or for that position IMO. In defence I'd go for Taylor and Faye. I'm not a fan of changing centre backs all the time but Cacapa had a 'mare on the weekend and both he and Rozehnal might struggle with sunderland's tactics. Taylor and Faye are more familiar with the sort of stuff sunderland will throw at us.

What's wrong with Milner on the right (left..?) and Geremi with Barton in the middle?

he's in awful form, i'd leave him on the bench and use him as an impact sub. Likewise with Owen whose clever movement will exploit the mackem's mental tiredness in the latter stages. physically they don't seem to drop off too much so that makes more sense than bringing Martins on at the end. i also think Sam is hesitant to play Milner and Beye down the right as they don't offer enough solidity, so Milner at RW could mean Taylor at RB which i'd rather not see. With Geremi covering on the right we'd be able to utilise Beye's pace down the wing more.

Guest Darth Toon

I think Sam's intentions are pretty clear for this one - make sure we don't lose, and cetainly make sure we aren't outfought.

I think 4-3-3 is a certainty, with something like:

Harper

Taylor - Faye - Rozehnal - Enrique

Geremi - Barton - Smith

Martins - Viduka - Milner

Owen, Zog & Emre on the bench if we need to change things later on.

Though I feel it would be harsh on Martins again to leave him out, I'm excited at the prospect of Viduka and Owen linking up. Martins as a supersub if he comes on early enough to have an impact.

Though I feel it would be harsh on Martins again to leave him out, I'm excited at the prospect of Viduka and Owen linking up. Martins as a supersub if he comes on early enough to have an impact.

Martins doesn't seem to work as a supersub though. Reckon he needs more time to make an impact.

Wouldn't mind that 4-3-3 that Darth Toon posted, only swap Milner for Zoggy.

If we play with width (Zog left, Milner right this time, no messing about) and have a combination of pace and height up front then we'll give ourselves a fighting chance of winning the game.

Up front and central midfield are the tricky positions to decide. In midfield I'd go for Geremi and Emre. Barton doesn't look fit and Smith's off the ball antics don't compensate for what little he does on the ball. Butt is suspended. Up front I think most of us agree Viduka should start if he is fit. I think I'd be tempted to drop Owen and play Martins for this one. Away from home where the opposition push their defence a bit higher tends to be where Martins can use his pace and I just fancy him to produce something in this game. Owen wouldn't be a bad shout either though, it's either/or for that position IMO. In defence I'd go for Taylor and Faye. I'm not a fan of changing centre backs all the time but Cacapa had a 'mare on the weekend and both he and Rozehnal might struggle with sunderland's tactics. Taylor and Faye are more familiar with the sort of stuff sunderland will throw at us.

I agree about Taylor, he will up his game for this one and i think Sam might go with him and Faye. if we drop  Barton i'd like to see Roz and Emre in the middle. Maybe not the best game to experiment but with Faye and Taylor behind him thats a fairly solid defence and he has got an eye for a decent pass.

He knows we cannot lose this one so I doubt he will go 4-3-3 away from home, I reckon a 4--4-2 for sure.

And Sam will go with..

-----------------Harper

Beye-----Cacapa-------Faye-------Jose

Milner---Geremi-------Barton-----Zoggy

-----------Owen--------Viduka

The only change may be at the back, he may play Taylor and Roze and not Beye and Cacapa..

Martins will do exactly what Torres done v the mackems ... rip them apart and run straight through them

Hope he starts, hopefully we pick up 3 points but i wont be able to celebrate it until i get back home  :razz:

Harper

Beye                    Taylor                                            Rozenhal                   Enrique

Milner                  Barton                                            Faye                          N'Zogbia

Viduka                                Martins

Subs to include:

Cacapa

Geremi

Emre

Owen

I want to see Taylor stuck to Jones like glue for the entire match, not at all worried about any other of their players but, he is a serious threat.

Did anyone else hear on the local news about the Metro Bridge over the Tyne?

On Friday night, in celebration of the upcoming derby, they are going to illuminate the bridge in white and red then in black and white alternately.

I don't want to see white and red together anywhere let alone on a bridge that is 500metres from my house!!!

on the mackem website that quinn has informed us no away team colours to be worn in the directors box.

ashley is allowed to wear his colours if he wants

quinn told the chronicle that he can if he wants to

Since the Barley Mow's demise, where is the place to watch the match in London???? Want to avoid the Sport's Cafe and the like.