Steve McClaren

Dave

Making an issue of McClaren turning us down twice before is getting a bit tiresome.

On the first occasion, it was half way through the season, his club was chasing promotion, and it's perfectly right and proper that he should opt to try and see the task through. On the second occasion, he was asked to take over for the last three games of the season, for a club that was fighting relegation - not exactly a golden opportunity and probably an unwise step for our club to make regardless.

There are two things that give me some optimism. Firstly, he's actually won a league title, a trophy, and reached the final of another competition. That's more than certain managers have achieved.

Secondly, there's the quality of football that Derby were playing - keeping it on the deck and passing it creatively through the midfield. Anyone who denies that either didn't see them at all or caught them on a bad day. That style may not have been characteristic of his earlier career, but perhaps he picked a few things up from his spell on the continent.

If he was that great why did he get sacked from a championship club?we are getting him because he failed his objective in the championship,it makes no sense!

I don't agree with this at all, I don't think he was sacked because he didn't gain promotion. I think it was more the constant links to us.

Seriously baffled as to why at least one person on here said that Derby had the strongest squad in the Championship. They didn't.

If we strengthen where we need to then, personally, I think McClaren will surprise a few people. Not just supporters of our club but fans of others too.

Can't have been that bad. Looking at predictions for the season just gone most had them quite high up, for example: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/08/championship-club-by-club-preview (1st).

Oh right, a single Guardian reporter who also had Birmingham at 24th and Bournemouth at 13th, Brentford 14th, Cardiff 3rd, Fulham 7th, Wigan 5th....

Free flowing attacking football, blimey. :lol:

His only Premier League job saw him play exclusively turgid negative stuff. People seem to be forgetting that you can't get out of the Championship trying not to get beat every week.

His remit here will be to finish in mid-table, no better, no worse. The idea of him taking that remit and not going back to what did the same job for him in the past is, imo, a fantasy.

Are you still pretending he was crap for boro? Because your "friends" told you this.

I work with a boro fan and he is the greatest manager in their history.

Doesn't mean I want him but don't change history.

Swansea only got Rodgers because he nearly took Reading into League One. That argument is flawed.

Swansea were a Championship club man.  :lol:

Exactly my point. And look where they ended up when he left them, and look where Rodgers ended up.

Swansea only got Rodgers because he nearly took Reading into League One. That argument is flawed.

Swansea were a Championship club man.  :lol:

Exactly my point. And look where they ended up when he left them, and look where Rodgers ended up.

Why aren't all Premier League clubs doing their shopping in the Championship, seriously? Plenty of sacked managers going for nothing. McClaren isn't learning his trade like Rodgers, he's now failed in his last four jobs.

I remember when Poyet was appointed, being told to be worried because he was an exciting young manager, one of the best in that division, despite repeatedly pointing out that he hadn't managed to get out of the thing. Any half decent manager at Premier League level should be getting out of that division without a struggle. When tiny clubs like Bournemouth and Brentford are your main competition, or Watford who rattled through four managers, and you're managing a club like Derby who don't even make the play offs, that's not just failure, that's gross negligence somewhere along the line.

For every shite season in the Championship, one could point to a league win, trophy or final. That doesn't make him a world beater but in the same breath having failures in the Championship doesn't make him a poor manager either.

He's average, we get it.

Free flowing attacking football, blimey. :lol:

His only Premier League job saw him play exclusively turgid negative stuff. People seem to be forgetting that you can't get out of the Championship trying not to get beat every week.

His remit here will be to finish in mid-table, no better, no worse. The idea of him taking that remit and not going back to what did the same job for him in the past is, imo, a fantasy.

Are you still pretending he was crap for boro? Because your "friends" told you this.

I work with a boro fan and he is the greatest manager in their history.

Doesn't mean I want him but don't change history.

"Friends" :lol:

I grew up in that neck of the woods. I didn't say he was crap for them, I said they fucking hated him because what they watched every week was disgracefully negative, which is absolutely true. Any Boro fan who tells you that he was popular by the end is a liar.

He was a massive success for them as he was in Holland. These two things balance out the shite in the Championship.

He's average. Better than Pardew IMO but average. I don't see the need for much debate.

I've just had a vivid flashback of Wullie's Boro supporting housemate.

I remember he was calling Aliadiere by the name 'Hardly ever there' and was inordinately pleased with himself for coming up with it. :lol:

Anyway, this is the absolute dream appointment for Ashley.

Will like working with Carr, will be grateful that he has been given a job he really shouldn't have and probably won't get us relegated or into Europe.

No wonder they went back in after he told them to fuck off twice, the second time in a completely humiliating fashion.

Could kind of accept McClaren if he brought in his own staff. However, McClaren with Carver, Woodman and Stone. Eurgh. This is the second worst case scenario, obviously Carver full time was worst.

Surely the three musketeers can't be on that much? The money we saved not paying compensation for McClaren should be used to terminate their poxy 8 year deals.

Bringing this guy should be his priority....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3042412/From-Manchester-United-Derby-County-Eric-Steele-reflects-glittering-career-aims-Premier-League-promotion-stays-coy-Newcastle-links.html

I like the way he organize the back four.

Newcastle, Steele's boyhood club, have recognised the work done by McClaren and would like the 53-year-old as head coach come summer. Steele is too long in the tooth to rule anything out.

'In football, everything is a possibility,' he says. 'I am a Geordie born and bred, and a good friend of mine, Peter Beardsley, still works for the club. All I would say is I am contracted and loyal to Derby County Football Club.

He ended the season badly, not disputing that.

It's ignoring the fact he took over a team in mid-table and took them to within 90 minutes of promotion (beaten by a side who had the wage bill of a mid-table Premier League club).

They also missed out on the Play-Offs by a point with a tally that would have finished in the Play-Offs every season since 2000 (might be longer, can't be arsed to look any further).

Making an issue of McClaren turning us down twice before is getting a bit tiresome.

On the first occasion, it was half way through the season, his club was chasing promotion, and it's perfectly right and proper that he should opt to try and see the task through. On the second occasion, he was asked to take over for the last three games of the season, for a club that was fighting relegation - not exactly a golden opportunity and probably an unwise step for our club to make regardless.

There are two things that give me some optimism. Firstly, he's actually won a league title, a trophy, and reached the final of another competition. That's more than certain managers have achieved.

Secondly, there's the quality of football that Derby were playing - keeping it on the deck and passing it creatively through the midfield. Anyone who denies that either didn't see them at all or caught them on a bad day. That style may not have been characteristic of his earlier career, but perhaps he picked a few things up from his spell on the continent.

If he was that great why did he get sacked from a championship club?we are getting him because he failed his objective in the championship,it makes no sense!

The real question here is why did Derby decline from top of the league to 8th in the second half of the season. My understanding is that the main reason was they lost both their main strikers, the results fell away, and after that it was difficult to regain momentum. They'd only just lost out on promotion last time round, and morale was probably a bit fragile anyway.

Whether McClaren was distracted by our interest or not, I can't say. The above strikes me as explanation enough.

At the end of the season, a parting of the ways was probably right all round. It would have been difficult for McClaren and his players to get motivated and confident for a third attempt, and a fresh approach would make sense.

He ended the season badly, not disputing that.

It's ignoring the fact he took over a team in mid-table and took them to within 90 minutes of promotion (beaten by a side who had the wage bill of a mid-table Premier League club).

They also missed out on the Play-Offs by a point with a tally that would have finished in the Play-Offs every season since 2000 (might be longer, can't be arsed to look any further).

Then why would Derby County sack such a great man? If he isn't good enough for them, why on earth would that make him the man for us?

Honestly, appointing so many shit managers since Keegan '08 has dumbed down expectations to the point of making a McClaren appointment looking an alright one for some I fear.

He will be bang average at best, which is what we have all got sick of I thought. Aiming for 10th each season for another 4 years will make me give up football it will be so dull.

I just want to dare to dream about something bigger... Why can't we aim for a manager who represents that aspiration.

So, when do we reckon this shit will get announced then? I'm going for Wednesday, and my bingo card includes "European experience", "being delighted with getting their top target" and "Will work well under this model". Bonus points if they try and spin him rejecting us twice to meaning that he's not a "yes man", but that one isn't quite as likely.

So, when do we reckon this s*** will get announced then? I'm going for Wednesday, and my bingo card includes "European experience", "being delighted with getting their top target" and "Will work well under this model". Bonus points if they try and spin him rejecting us twice to meaning that he's not a "yes man", but that one isn't quite as likely.

Wouldn't be surprised if the press conference consists of McClaren just being shoved in front of waiting reporters with no Charnley in sight, tbh.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/derby-county/11392450/Steve-McClarens-long-road-back-to-relevance-is-indictment-of-Premier-Leagues-popularity-contest.html

McClaren was close to getting the Aston Villa job in 2011 – but a meeting was cancelled by the owner Randy Lerner for fear of the fans’ reaction and because his right-hand man had read the websites, blogs and forums. Really? So – after Roberto Martinez made it clear he would not leave Wigan Athletic at that stage - Lerner appointed Alex McLeish instead…who had just been relegated with Birmingham City. Go figure that one out.

Uninspiring  but considering our last appointments he is depressingly the best manager we've hired in about a decade, excluding Keegan, if true.

I don't get the hate wagon mind. If he is endorsed by Carr hopefully it will mean at least two of our main team see eye to eye on the direction of the club rather than seeing good player left out of the side out of spite, ignorance or stupidity.

Guest Roger Kint

Derby were really unlucky with injuries after January. They lost Chris Martin and it completely screwed them over iirc.

Screwed them over so much he brought in Bent(10 in 15) and Ince(11 in 17) during the final 6 months. Not sure it was scoring they had a problem with, hes lucky he has come to a club with a solid defence

Guest Roger Kint

That applies to Alex McLeish too mind, not sure its a good thing  :lol: