Steve McClaren

Dave

He signed some good players for Boro - Viduka, Hasslebaink, Mendieta, Yakubu, Zenden. I think Juninho, too.

A little encouraging going through his stats. His losing ratio isn't that bad especially compared to Pardew who lost more games than he won. If you're not going to win, at least draw.

Also responsible for Downing, Cattermole and James Morrison's debuts, so he can develop youth. I'm trying to be optimistic. Hopefully it doesn't all go wrong.

They're both... shit?

:lol: :lol: the ellipsis slayed me.

Urgh, I really do think this is the worst case scenario. I doubt I can even get much enjoyment from hating McClaren tbh, he's nowhere near the arsehole Pardew is, or anywhere near as comically incompetent as Carver. I'm just likely going to be bored fucking silly.

Aye but what if you end up being entertained by the Football?  I know its now a completely alien concept to us, but I think that's supposed to be the source of enjoyment for Football fans :dontknow:

They are but under McClaren they looked promising. Cattermole at least. Can't remember much of Morrison.

Yeah true, Cattermole looked a promising actor when he started balling his eyes out when the prolific Luke Moore slotted his hat-trick.

I like McClaren, tbh. I think he will do fairly well here if given good players and/or the finances to pursue talent. Also, a much better face for the club than the Pardew character.There are obviously still persistent  and deep issues with the way NUFC is operated, but the manager's seat will have it's best occupant since September 2008, imo.

Yes, I agree.

Also key is that we now have a manager in tune with Carr.

There can therefore be no excuses for not getting players in, and on time, and then having them used properly.

The first thing to see is whether recruitment improves drastically, now there should be no more discord behind the scenes.

So much delusion.

It's unreal. The re-writing of history in particular. Was just browsing BBCs football page on Facebook. Everyone getting a cheap laugh at our expense again. No other club would be this stupid.

So much delusion from so many. No wonder others laugh.

Delusion in terms of what? Differing opinions on the club's yet to be appointed manager? I don't think anyone has taken Ashely's talk of trophies and the Champion's League seriously. Unless you are referring to views not expressed on this forum, I don't understand.

Here and elsewhere the sudden change in tone, in the last day or so, of the many trying desperately to convince themselves and others that this is a good appointment. It's indicative of where we are as a club and a fan base and where we shall remain as a club.

bit odd they're being so persistent in chasing him but if they know who they want they know who they want. All in all I'm not unhappy with him coming in but it doesn't exactly cause much joy either

Here and elsewhere the sudden change in tone, in the last day or so, of the many trying desperately to convince themselves and others that this is a good appointment. It's indicative of where we are as a club and a fan base and where we shall remain as a club.

Reality isn't based solely in your opinion. I simply believe that McClaren is good at his job (not a revolutionary world class talent, but overly competent and very experienced), which is not a statement that has anything to do with the state of the club. It a statement which exists in a vacuum. Whether or not he will be able to have an impact on the malaise the club currently finds itself in is something that depends on a litany of other factors.

So we begged him and begged him, even when we knew he was with someone else, and only when he got dumped did he say "OK, I'll give it a go". Then added "After I've been away for a bit". This will end well.

We need a stern father.

Reality isn't based solely in your opinion. I simply believe that McClaren is good at his job

His last for employers disagreed strongly with you, the last two being clubs in a lower division to us. You really couldn't make this shit up. It's embarrassing to be a NUFC fan now, this is a gutless appointment, and there is simply nothing to be excited about.

I like McClaren, tbh. I think he will do fairly well here if given good players and/or the finances to pursue talent. Also, a much better face for the club than the Pardew character.There are obviously still persistent  and deep issues with the way NUFC is operated, but the manager's seat will have it's best occupant since September 2008, imo.

Yes, I agree.

There can therefore be no excuses for not getting players in, and on time, and then having them used properly.

The first thing to see is whether recruitment improves drastically, now there should be no more discord behind the scenes.

Yeah but

It’s not a case of someone getting the job because he’s a friend of a friend or he knows someone.

:thup:

Yes, I agree.

Yeah but

It’s not a case of someone getting the job because he’s a friend of a friend or he knows someone.

Jade Goody talking shite, there's a surprise.

Are people really changing their tone?  There are people here who have argued from the start that he wouldn't be a terrible appointment.  I think everyone agrees we should do better though, that hasn't changed either afaics.

Yes, I agree.

Yeah but

It's not even that their friends for me, but that they respect each others work.

McClaren will value Carr's ability, and will better appreciate the players being brought in, and will be more involved in tha process, and have discussions with him about how to maximise their performances when they join, rather than keep harping on about Bent and Tomkins like that previous idiot did.

Okay the setup hasn't worked so far, but from my viewpoint that was largely down to Pardew's lack of real ability or ingenuity.

Carr has been trying to get in the kind of players we want to see, but the manager had no interest in ever trying to play the football we want to see. it was a major disconnect.