Steve McClaren

Dave

Derby were really unlucky with injuries after January. They lost Chris Martin and it completely screwed them over iirc.

Screwed them over so much he brought in Bent(10 in 15) and Ince(11 in 17) during the final 6 months. Not sure it was scoring they had a problem with, hes lucky he has come to a club with a solid defence

Luckily we have no history of injuries and a deep squad so he'll be able to ride it out no bother.

Guest Roger Kint

Derby were really unlucky with injuries after January. They lost Chris Martin and it completely screwed them over iirc.

Screwed them over so much he brought in Bent(10 in 15) and Ince(11 in 17) during the final 6 months. Not sure it was scoring they had a problem with, hes lucky he has come to a club with a solid defence

Luckily we have no history of injuries and a deep squad so he'll be able to ride it out no bother.

:thup:

So, when do we reckon this s*** will get announced then? I'm going for Wednesday, and my bingo card includes "European experience", "being delighted with getting their top target" and "Will work well under this model". Bonus points if they try and spin him rejecting us twice to meaning that he's not a "yes man", but that one isn't quite as likely.

Without doubt they'll mention his cup record too to emphasise how we are now going to target them!

Making an issue of McClaren turning us down twice before is getting a bit tiresome.

On the first occasion, it was half way through the season, his club was chasing promotion, and it's perfectly right and proper that he should opt to try and see the task through. On the second occasion, he was asked to take over for the last three games of the season, for a club that was fighting relegation - not exactly a golden opportunity and probably an unwise step for our club to make regardless.

There are two things that give me some optimism. Firstly, he's actually won a league title, a trophy, and reached the final of another competition. That's more than certain managers have achieved.

Secondly, there's the quality of football that Derby were playing - keeping it on the deck and passing it creatively through the midfield. Anyone who denies that either didn't see them at all or caught them on a bad day. That style may not have been characteristic of his earlier career, but perhaps he picked a few things up from his spell on the continent.

If he was that great why did he get sacked from a championship club?we are getting him because he failed his objective in the championship,it makes no sense!

I don't agree with this at all, I don't think he was sacked because he didn't gain promotion. I think it was more the constant links to us.

Seriously baffled as to why at least one person on here said that Derby had the strongest squad in the Championship. They didn't.

If we strengthen where we need to then, personally, I think McClaren will surprise a few people. Not just supporters of our club but fans of others too.

So why are we not after Eddie Howe I would argue Derby had a better squad then Bournemouth , they got promoted Derby did not make the play offs!

I'll tell u why because mcclarens a yes man that knows carver, Carr and will put up with Ashley's shit while he continues to milk the club for all its worth

Uninspiring  but considering our last appointments he is depressingly the best manager we've hired in about a decade, excluding Keegan, if true.

I don't get the hate wagon mind. If he is endorsed by Carr hopefully it will mean at least two of our main team see eye to eye on the direction of the club rather than seeing good player left out of the side out of spite, ignorance or stupidity.

Yeah, kind of my views on it.  All very 'meh' but it means I may actually get to set foot inside SJP again.  Not that anything will change under Ashley.  But I'm hoping the football isn't quite as horrific as it was under Pardew and Carver.  Plus, as of yet, I don't massively despise the man, I just feel indifferent about McLaren.  I don't genuinely hate him like I did the last two wankers.

The bit about Carr is spot on as well.  For quite some time, quite a large majority on here would question Pardew's usage of the players given to him by Carr.  Hopefully, this won't be the case now. 

Guest Roger Kint

Cant wait til Charnley leaves him with a lop sided and woefully undermanned squad in September and our usual drift into midtable existence begins. No doubt people will still be begging to give him time and told not to worry as we will buy in January, then in the Summer etc...

The true excitement of the Premier League

Does he know Carver and Carr? Where from?

I thought it was well known he was friends with Carr not 100% on carver?

If that's not the case why would we approach Mcclaren and not the 7 managers that finished above him in the championship?not that I'd want any of them apart from possibly Howe

We shouldn't be recruiting a manager from the championship unless they performed incredible Derby certainly did not!

So fucking "MEH" it's untrue! 

I was gonna say I'd give him benifit of the doubt etc. but fuck that..... not expecting results to suddenly turn around but I'm expecting less of a ashley bum-licker in pressers and more a defined playing style.

Could see it would be him despite all these more exciting names "linked" to us..... the thing that really boils my piss in all this is that carver, stone and woodman are staying.  Howay, only club that rewards consistant failure.

Does he know Carver and Carr? Where from?

I thought it was well known he was friends with Carr not 100% on carver?

If that's not the case why would we approach Mcclaren and not the 7 managers that finished above him in the championship?not that I'd want any of them apart from possibly Howe

We shouldn't be recruiting a manager from the championship unless they performed incredible Derby certainly did not!

I recall several mentions of McClaren visiting the training ground when he was out of work so I guess he will know Carver a little at least.

Less inspiring than Pardew. :slowclap:

Really?  How could anything inspire you less than a man with no major trophy wins, hated by every set of supporters he's worked with and sacked by a League One club?  Even being sacked by a Championship club puts McClaren ahead of Pardew when we brought him in :lol:

The thing about this hiring is that we will see how serious they are almost immediately.

With the manager now on board with the head scout, if we don't have players flying in left , right and centre, you can be certain that nothing aat this club will ever work, regardless of who is in place anywhere.

Guest Roger Kint

Ah well at least its nots Carver. Fucking shite appointment still midtable mediocrity here we come.

As long as Carver is there its a Ashley decision from being him though

The thing about this hiring is that we will see how serious they are almost immediately.

With the manager now on board with the head scout, if we don't have players flying in left , right and centre, you can be certain that nothing aat this club will ever work, regardless of who is in place anywhere.

Does the appointment itself not give it away like?