Steve McClaren

Dave

Pardew Mark II then eh?

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/13310602.McClaren_s_appointment_set_to_hurt_Newcastle_s_hopes_of_a_Bamford_deal/

NEWCASTLE’S impending appointment of Steve McClaren is set to scupper the club’s hopes of signing Chelsea starlet Patrick Bamford.

McClaren is expected to be formally confirmed as Newcastle’s new head coach at the start of next week after a series of discussions with sporting director Lee Charnley resulted in a verbal agreement over the role.

The former Middlesbrough and England boss has received staunch support from chief scout Graham Carr, whose strong endorsement of his qualities persuaded Charnley and Mike Ashley to first approach McClaren to take over from Alan Pardew in January.

Once McClaren is confirmed in his post, the remaining members of Newcastle’s recruitment team will seek his input into transfer discussions before pressing ahead with their plans to remodel the Magpies squad this summer.

A new attacking line-up is regarded as a priority, with Bamford having been identified as a leading target if, as expected, Chelsea opt to send him on loan to a Premier League club.

The England Under-21 international, who has been forced to pull out of this summer’s European Championships in the Czech Republic because of injury, scored 17 Championship goals for Middlesbrough last term, but is unlikely to return to the Riverside.

Newcastle had hoped to lure him to Tyneside with a view to a permanent transfer in 12 months time, but McClaren’s appointment would make their task considerably more difficult as Bamford became disillusioned with the 54-year-old when the pair worked together at Derby County.

Bamford spent the second half of the 2013-14 season playing under McClaren at the Ipro Stadium, and while he scored eight goals during his time with the Rams, he was frustrated at regularly appearing in a wide midfield position rather than as a central striker.

Despite urging McClaren to play him up front, his pleas fell on deaf ears, and after he scored the winner in Boro’s 1-0 victory at the Ipro Stadium last season, it was telling that he pointedly said, “That’s what happens when you play me in the right position”.

McClaren tried to re-sign Bamford ahead of the start of last season, but the memories of his previous spell with the then Rams boss resulted in him turning down the offer in order to join Middlesbrough instead.

:mackems:

Could maybe accept his appointment a bit more if the club was appointing him because they genuinely believed he was the best for the job. However we all know he is being appointed for all the wrong reason and they couldn't care less about results.

Could it be that McClaren merely decided to play his strongest central striker (Chris Martin) in that position, rather than shoehorning him out wide for the sake of developing one of Chelsea's players who he never had a chance of signing permanently?

Could it be that McClaren merely decided to play his strongest central striker (Chris Martin) in that position, rather than shoehorning him out wide for the sake of developing one of Chelsea's players who he never had a chance of signing permanently?

Maybe. In any case if he starts farting about moving players out of position on a regular basis my patience would sharp run out.

Yeah I thought that too. Him playing on the wing coincided with Derby's best form since dropping from the top division too so must have done something right

Free flowing attacking football, blimey. :lol:

His only Premier League job saw him play exclusively turgid negative stuff. People seem to be forgetting that you can't get out of the Championship trying not to get beat every week.

His remit here will be to finish in mid-table, no better, no worse. The idea of him taking that remit and not going back to what did the same job for him in the past is, imo, a fantasy.

Are you still pretending he was crap for boro? Because your "friends" told you this.

I work with a boro fan and he is the greatest manager in their history.

Doesn't mean I want him but don't change history.

I worked with a lass whose brother ran on the pitch and threw his season ticket at McClaren and I can only guess that he didn't do that as a sign of appreciation.

If he's given the job I'll reserve judgement on him. He's a mediocre manager who happens to be of better pedigree than the last 5 we've appointed.

You'll do the usual Ronaldo cycle, i.e. I'm not impressed but it's not as bad as you plebs are making out - it's actually great having a proper manager, unlike the last one that you all loved - he's a god amongst men and far more handsome than I ever realised actually, can't believe you lot thought the last guy would be better - OK it's gone a bit shit but he's not half as shit as your hero Coloccini - Right, I'm turning up outside his house to have a word unlike you cowards.

:laugh:

Guest Roger Kint

I don't particularly want McClaren, but he is the best British coach around. Some of the childish hate on here is frightening. His CV is excellent. 

I'd agree with this.

As would i if he stopped typing after 'McClaren'

Guest firetotheworks

If he's given the job I'll reserve judgement on him. He's a mediocre manager who happens to be of better pedigree than the last 5 we've appointed.

You'll do the usual Ronaldo cycle, i.e. I'm not impressed but it's not as bad as you plebs are making out - it's actually great having a proper manager, unlike the last one that you all loved - he's a god amongst men and far more handsome than I ever realised actually, can't believe you lot thought the last guy would be better - OK it's gone a bit shit but he's not half as shit as your hero Coloccini - Right, I'm turning up outside his house to have a word unlike you cowards.

Just seen this now. :lol: Absolutely nailed it.

You'll do the usual Ronaldo cycle, i.e. I'm not impressed but it's not as bad as you plebs are making out - it's actually great having a proper manager, unlike the last one that you all loved - he's a god amongst men and far more handsome than I ever realised actually, can't believe you lot thought the last guy would be better - OK it's gone a bit s*** but he's not half as s*** as your hero Coloccini - Right, I'm turning up outside his house to have a word unlike you cowards.

Just seen this now. :lol: Absolutely nailed it.

:lol: He has.

Yeah I thought that too. Him playing on the wing coincided with Derby's best form since dropping from the top division too so must have done something right

Yeah. Ultimately what matters is whether the decision was right, not whether Bamford liked it.

Guest antz1uk

I don't particularly want McClaren, but he is the best British coach around. Some of the childish hate on here is frightening. His CV is excellent

I'd agree with this.

I don't. and why on earth must a coach be British anyway?

as for the bold, it is not excellent by a long way. he's an uninspirinig coach that has zero charisma, of whom i can see players getting completely bored with, has zero plan B, he won a league cup with Boro, at a time when nobody but bolton, Leicester and the likes took it seriously and fluked his way to a UEFA cup final, before getting absolutely murdered in it. he failed at Derby, Forest, Wolfsburg and the 2nd time at Twente, he won the league in Holland which is the Dutch equivalent of the SPL.

Yeah. Ultimately what matters is whether the decision was right, not whether Bamford liked it.

Has some similiarites with the Ba/Cisse/HBA front three and then Pardew dropping his arse about Ba booting off, changing to the shit 4-4-2 and almost relegating us due to Ba fucking off anyway. Hopefully McClaren would at least stick with something if it seemed to work.

The Eredivisie might well be like the SPL but he effectively won it with Dundee United, it was an impressive feat that shouldn't be downplayed. He did achieve it in a fairly negative manner mind, his team scored about 40 goals less than the team in second, but a real achievement nevertheless.

His cup runs at Boro don't mean anything more than Alex McLeish, Graeme Souness, Roberto Di Matteo and Avram Grant's ability to win a few games in a particular competition during a shit league season. Just ignore them.

Guest firetotheworks

We've played like we had one, and we did have one until 2010. Personally I'd rather not have a target man, or play like we have one.

its not that im 100% against McClaren. The problem is  - he is only given the job coz he accepts to work under Fat Mikes strict setup!

Nothing will change! same strategy.

Worst part is the backroom staff - my gosh!

Im expecting a slightly better manager than pardew, nothing more!

Season objective: finish between 8-15

Cup run: not really

1-5 years with this shit is my guess!

Fat Mike came out on tv one time and lied us straight to the face.

By the way. Vieira = PR stunt

ASHLEY OUT