Steve McClaren

Dave

Football is first and foremost for winning trophies, if you're unlikely to do that it should be to entertain the fans, and fans clearly enjoy being in Europe more than playing West Bromwich in another meaningless game.

Wonder if attendances and viewing figures bare this out ?

We just need to see improvement and improvement this year is top ten after the shit served up last 2 years. Something to build on, having a go at teams and Mitrovic butt fucking teams especially Chelsea, Scum, Crystal Palace and the victims

I hope we're at least fun to watch even if bad :p I do think we'll start slow regardless

I think we'll start slow but also think he'll improve us given a bit of time.

I really like hearing what he has to say. He comes across so much more professional than anything we've had under Ashley, and I'm desperate for him to do well if only to kill the apathy that's taken over my following of the club.

I hope we're at least fun to watch even if bad :p I do think we'll start slow regardless

I think we'll start slow but also think he'll improve us given a bit of time.

I really like hearing what he has to say. He comes across so much more professional than anything we've had under Ashley, and I'm desparate for him to do well if only to kill the apathy that's taken over my following of the club.

:thup:

My view is that McClaren is not incompetent so it takes "the manager" out of the list of things to be especially concerned about. It means we can instead focus on what Ashley is doing to the club.

All of the inept set pieces and set piece defending under Pardew and Carver were only Ashley's fault in so much as those two were Ashley appointments. It will be easier to focus on transfer policy when its not a case of Williamson playing because the manager won't pick MYM.

I know McClaren hasn't necessarily been able to translate good coaching into consistent results but I'm looking forward to see if he can actually bring on a few players.

Given we had Carver and then that charlatan Pardew before that most of the players have stood still or gone backwards.

I think virtually all managers dislike the format of the Europa League. I can't blame them too much.

Almost every manager says it, I can't see what the big deal is. You clearly have much less time to prepare.

We're now seeing club sides from the likes of Andorra and Gibraltar getting involved. It's ridiculous.

The overblown first part is designed as a pay day for smaller clubs. If you get through that, you're joined by teams from the Champions League who usually end up knocking you out.

Given how competitive the Premiership is, there's no way you can travel to and from some (often distant) European venue for a Thursday evening game and be in the same shape on Sunday as a team that's had a free week.

It's not so noticeable with Champions League teams, because they're usually significantly better than the teams they play at the weekend. For the likes of us, it's a problem.

Half the Champions League games are on a Tuesday which helps. And most of the teams are in it year after year so they used to it. Few teams are exclusively in the Europa League.

Also Champions League teams have massive squads. Most top 4 sides second eleven is better than alot of the sides out of the top 4s first team.

Nah.

I wouldn't got that far but they certainly have better quality players and more depth than the average team that finishes 6th, 7th.

Aarons

Reflecting on the change in managerial set-up the teenager said: “Everything is different. You can tell by the way we play. Everybody is starting to gel together nicely so it should be good for us.”

So McClaren isn't trying to get us to play "front foot football"?