Steve McClaren

Dave

I don't think we should 'accept our lot', but I'm not sure how valid a target McClaren is for regime change. Unless we plan to just force out every manager until it becomes untenable for anyone to do the job and Ashley might then leave.

Not sure why, but I don't associate McClaren with 'appointing anyone cheap' like we expected. He's at least a functioning football manager with some knowledge and experience.

Maybe my expectations have been lowered too far.

I don't think we should 'accept our lot', but I'm not sure how valid a target McClaren is for regime change. Unless we plan to just force out every manager until it becomes untenable for anyone to do the job and Ashley might then leave.

Not sure why, but I don't associate McClaren with 'appointing anyone cheap' like we expected. He's at least a functioning football manager with some knowledge and experience.

This is how I feel. All of our expectations have been lowered because of Ashley and the way he tries to run the club. I'm sure none of us listened to his interview before the West Ham game and thought "We're getting a top rate manager and spending millions buying the players we NEED".

Of the managers we were linked with, McClaren wasn't a bad choice for me. Of course Garde, Gourvennec, Vieira were all interesting propositions but would they have been any better than McClaren? We don't know that, it was the appeal of the unknown. In terms of pedigree, yes McClaren was sacked by a Championship club but he's managed at International level (albeit without any level of success) and that title win with Twente gets nowhere near the recognition it should on here.

Until a buyer appears with enough money to appeal to Ashley, what are we supposed to do?

As I said, just accept our lot then. Its fair enough.

Are you advocating forcing McClaren out after 10 games? :lol:

My position really isn't too hard to get like. I never wanted him and I still don't want him.

I don't see why it has to be a thing that any manager who comes in has to be given time before the fanbase can decide whether or not he should be there, it's the kind of shit craic that had people happily sitting through nearly 5 years of Alan Pardew because he 'deserved' to redeem himself after nearly getting us relegated.

Seeing some definite improvements in our overall play and possession, but how the fuck do we still collapse and lack basic organisation?

Centre midfield needs sorted quickly. Sissoko n Wijnaldum were excellent, but the whole midfield doesnt offer enough cover for the back four. We are so weak without the ball

I'm not sure why either, Ian.

I'm not sure why either, Ian.

I think just because he's better than people I expected us to go for, and he has some knowledge and experience. I was expecting someone who had been out of work for years or had serious mental problems.

I'm not in the McClaren out boat, don't think it would be wise at this juncture, the kind of manager we want will (a) never come here under the current regime and (b) wouldn't even be approached by the current regime. That's not to say I'm happy with the appointment or that I think we can go far with him in charge but he's a damn sight more refreshing than the last few managers.

If anyone could have the choice this time last year, more Pardew or McClaren there would only have been one choice. He's making the changes we want and need but will he be able to turn it round quick enough? I'm not sure, but if we do go down it'll only be what Ashley deserves.

It's Schteve McLaren ffs.  Sacked by championship club Derby.

There were a multitude of better options and we went for the cheap mate of the head scout.  I can't remember anyone piping up and saying 'another one from the old boys merry go round would be mint' when Pardew walked.  He wasn't good enough then, he's not good enough now.

Not too sure how he can be deemed not good enough after 10 or so games when we have actually shown a vast improvement. We've gone from playing some of the most turgid football known to man to looking like a good footballing outfit but with an obviously  weak defence.

Is McClaren the long term future? No, but he shouldn't be sacked yet man. Any new manager would take a month or so to get to know the players. Sacking him is a recipe for relegation, especially considering who would possibly come in. We keep playing like we did Sunday and we will stay up no bother, they didn't have a sniff until that ridiculous pen decision. Fat Sam looked extremely worried.

One clever tactic I noticed McClaren instilled was Colback and Tiote dropping into the full back positions when Janmaat and Dummett were getting forward. It made us look a lot more solid and something Pardew would never be able to think of.

Considering we had 60% possession, 20 plus shots and dominated the game, what would the people wanting McClaren out change yesterday?

If he doesn't make sure that we get a quality CB and CM and maybe a LB in january than he can fuck off imo. Results need to get better as well before that. I don't want him out as of now, and i was probably one of, if not the first one on here to call for Pardews head.

Not too sure how he can be deemed not good enough after 10 or so games when we have actually shown a vast improvement. We've gone from playing some of the most turgid football known to man to looking like a good footballing outfit but with an obviously  weak defence.

Is McClaren the long term future? No, but he shouldn't be sacked yet man. Any new manager would take a month or so to get to know the players. Sacking him is a recipe for relegation, especially considering who would possibly come in. We keep playing like we did Sunday and we will stay up no bother, they didn't have a sniff until that ridiculous pen decision. Fat Sam looked extremely worried.

One clever tactic I noticed McClaren instilled was Colback and Tiote dropping into the full back positions when Janmaat and Dummett were getting forward. It made us look a lot more solid and something Pardew would never be able to think of.

Considering we had 60% possession, 20 plus shots and dominated the game, what would the people wanting McClaren out change yesterday?

Feel exactly the same, IMO he's done nothing at all to warrant the sack. If anything, he's turned out to be better than I expected. 'Results are everything' is the mantra in football obviously, so it would be nice if he started to get some.

My expectations have definitely been lowered. After 5 years of Pardew inspired football torture, I do quite look forward to games again, and it's nice wanting us to win rather than lose. I would have much preferred Garde no doubt, but the football is not bad at least. I can put up with McClaren and his team as long as he makes sure Ashley and Charnley buy the right players in key areas. Coloccini should have been replaced, that sort of shit can't be allowed to continue if McClaren doesn't want to be facing relegation season after season.

Baffled as to why people would be happy to see him go.

Two of the last three seasons we've deserved to be relegated. Cowardly football, hoofball tactics and a complete c*** of a manager - throw in a painfully mediocre 10th place finish in the middle with the same awful football and some of you think McClaren could just come in and transform the attitudes, abilities and playing style of this team so quickly?

For the first time in years, we DON'T deserve to be where we are, we're playing far better than the league table suggests and if we continue playing like this, we'll be absolutely fine. Things will come good and I genuinely think McClaren could do well here.

2-0 down and down to 10 men yesterday and McClaren threw on Thauvin for Dummett, they're the sorts of things we complained endlessly that we wanted Pardew to do - granted he said judge him after 10-12 games, but every time I've seen us (perhaps Swansea aside) there have been an awful lot of positives and a LOT of the tactical changes we wanted to see under Pardew. Yes he's still playing the useless Colback, but fitting Mitrovic and Perez in the same team was a good decision, and playing on the deck will pay dividends eventually. Yes, it's not the appointment we wanted but just cast your minds back to where we've been the last few years. Williamson hoofing the ball up to Perez, isolated up front on his own with Gouffran for support.

I think it's far too early to write McClaren off, like I said it's bad news we've been in the bottom three all season but things will take time. We've gone toe-to-toe with Man United, Arsenal, Man City (for 45 minutes anyway...) and (albeit a poor looking) Chelsea and gone at them rather than setting up to try and NOT lose like Pardew did against lesser opposition. That's incredibly refreshing and admirable.

Anyone calling for his head this early better not be those who resent the media for claiming we're 'deluded' and 'demand success' - don't we just demand a team that tries? Because as far as I can tell, we've actually got one of those and have been genuinely unlucky so far this season.

Baffled as why some cannot see the obvious.

He is not the man for the job, he won't keep us up, he clearly is not this great vaunted coach that sections of the media have reported on historically.

He is failing and failing miserably with a squad that has some talent in it.

We are deep in the shit. Anyone who cannot see that we, along with our neighbours, are one of 4/ 5 sides that are facing a season long relegation battle, quite frankly are either blind or just ridiculously optimistic.

Bournemouth will go down. Injuries, lack of depth and naievity will see to that.

Norwich will go down...see above.

Then we are in the crap, up to our necks, with the Mackems, Villa and imo West Brom long term.

They have recognised it, and made a change...It may only yield them 10-12 points extra, but that may well be vital.

If we persist with this chump then we are massive third faves for relegation.

Out of his depth, dull as dishwater and no inspirational qualities at all it seems.

Ashley will act imo. Another couple of defeats and he is toast.

Now all of this being the case we all know why we are here, MA, transfer policy etc, etc, etc.

But I cannot imagine us just accepting our fate without a change being made,  itwould be madness imo.

Next guy may even just be a stop gap. Short term, keep us up then look for longer term replacement.

if not then I personally think it's pretty inevitable we will go down.

I don't think there's any value in sacking him now btw.

Anything less than 4 points from our next 2 might change things though. International break coming up.

Get in. The international breaks are the only thing I look forward to these days. And I rarely watch international football, just means I get a weekend off from watching our shambolic displays.

There were a multitude of better options and we went for the cheap mate of the head scout.  I can't remember anyone piping up and saying 'another one from the old boys merry go round would be mint' when Pardew walked.  He wasn't good enough then, he's not good enough now.

He may not be good enough I agree, but he's certainly not one of the old boys merry go round. He's totally different to the usual suspects. At least he had the bollocks to manage abroad to gain experience and try to better himself. This for me is his one redeeming feature. He wasn't content to sit in a tv studio grovelling for a job the way Allardyce, Pulis, Curbishly etc do. It might never work for him at NUFC, but out of this group of charlatans he was the best choice by some distance (discounting Moyes).

It's frustrating because we often look like a decent side. Our main problem is we are so fragile. We can look outstanding and then we concede and its like they have all just lost someone close to them. We need to sort out the negativity that insues  the side when something goes against us. When we go behind its generally means well lose now.

He may not be good enough I agree, but he's certainly not one of the old boys merry go round. He's totally different to the usual suspects. At least he had the bollocks to manage abroad to gain experience and try to better himself. This for me is his one redeeming feature. He wasn't content to sit in a tv studio grovelling for a job the way Allardyce, Pulis, Curbishly etc do. It might never work for him at NUFC, but out of this group of charlatans he was the best choice by some distance (discounting Moyes).

We should have taken the plunge with Vieira. It might have failed (it's failing anyway) but it would have freshened things up and showed that the club was prepared to go in a different direction after Pardew and Carver and would have had the fans onside right from the start. Don't know of a single supporter who was excited about McClaren being appointed and I doubt the players were either. Sadly with 2 dinosaurs and penfold making all the executive decisions McClaren is exactly the sort of manager we'll continue to employ.