Steve McClaren

Dave

Guest Howaythetoon

Not changing my position. Still think he's not good enough.

He's not, but in a perverse kind of way its going to be interesting to see what becomes of us under him. I like a lot of things I see. I mean today the shouts of "control the ball" and "don't panic", I love owt like that from the dugout. The total antithesis to HATAM HATAM NOT THERE NOT THERE. But its Steve McClaren and therefore I just can't buy into it because I know he's not good enough. As a coach, as a number 2, in Holland, aye maybe but not at NUFC. Not now, not when we appointed him and not ever.

Honestly, who do people expect the board will replace Steve Mc with if he leaves? :lol:

This is it, pretty much. Today was horrible and I really hope this isn't how McClaren wants to play. Prior to this game I've seen signs of improvement here and there but wouldn't exactly cry if McClaren walked/got the boot. I would however tremble at the thought of Charnley making another manager appointment. 

I didn't want him to get the job and I think we could get better BUT I am willing to give him time

At least he is not a prick like the last 2 guys and although today was awful, as bad as I have seen us play in a long time BUT there have been games where we have been impressive going forward. Hopefully we can sort the midfield out in January

Today was more worrying that the previous two weeks. I know it sounds crazy but I felt better about those games than winning today.

today was the most worrying but all 3 games gave plenty to worry about, mostly on the attacking front for all the dominance vs sunderland and stoke we weren't exactly battering their goal like bournemouth were battering us today

I can't fathom it, today was the first time I've seen us thoroughly outplayed this season (other than the 2nd half against Man City), and yet we won... I just don't get it at all  :undecided:

Feel nothing but pleasure about today tbh. Great to get an undeserved win. My only concern about SMc today was slowness to change. It was evident we were over run in MFD. Both Tiote and Anita were too deep; they had an extra man and were basically making use of the vast amount of space we conceded to them (imo); also, on reflection Gini had a poor game, so we had three AWOL/or 'in the trenches'.  SMc did change it, and we looked better (Thauvin looked to have found his mojo again!). Would have expected SMc to be more responsive and certainly before  half-time leave Mitro up on his own and shift Perez, left. That said, if he did this may have given some cause for complaint as we moved from a shape which has been working for us (ish). The lads will gain confidence from today. For periods this season we've bossed good sides (and poor ones), and lost (or drew). Shit like this happens; gave them most of the pitch--and therefore possession and chances-- we won.  :hello2:

If we'd beaten Stoke 1-0 then snook out of today with a 0-0 we'd have exactly the same number of points and goals but I think people would be far less annoyed.

I don't know where I'm going with this.

If we'd beaten Stoke 1-0 then snook out of today with a 0-0 we'd have exactly the same number of points and goals but I think people would be far less annoyed.

Good point; it all comes out in the wash. Fits with my 'just world' delusion. 

Watching it, all I could think was how come we spent £50m on players this summer, yet Howe has a bunch of nobodies playing us off the park? The difference in tempo and intensity of their football compared to ours was like a chasm.

They're a good team, we're not.

If they were a good team they would have scored five today. They are a well organised, hard working championship team. I like their style, which I put down to their manager, but they don't have good players.

Howe has been at a club from rock bottom, had several years and been able to install his own philosophy from scratch.

McClaren came into a squad rock bottom confidence wise, who've had several years of poor tactics drilled into them, and is having to try and get his ideas across. I reckon once he's been in a while we'll be more than alright under him.

Guest neesy111

They're a good team, we're not.

If they were a good team they would have scored five today. They are a well organised, hard working championship team. I like their style, which I put down to their manager, but they don't have good players.

Sounds similar to us minus 1 game, our finishing minus the Norwich game had been absymal all season.

Howe has been at a club from rock bottom, had several years and been able to install his own philosophy from scratch.

McClaren came into a squad rock bottom confidence wise, who've had several years of poor tactics drilled into them, and is having to try and get his ideas across. I reckon once he's been in a while we'll be more than alright under him.

Pretty much this, I don't think McClaren will lead us into the European places, unless we get a bit of luck, he will have us comfortably mid table though, playing decent football, and possibly giving the cups a good shot. We will need another manager to take us to the level from mid table, but right now he's an ideal candidate to take us to the safety of mid table which we need.

Same. Clubs like Southampton, Swansea and Bournemouth have a consistent philosophy over years and are focussed on success. McClaren has started from absolutely nothing.