Steve McClaren

Dave

Will have been mentioned, but I thought the tactic of pressing every player except James Collins was very good today and showed some tactical nous as he just kept on losing the ball

other teams have done that to us this season, let it go left to Dummett/Haidara/Mbabu as we have nothing else over there and leads to a punt or us going backwards and folding in.

I think, for now at least, it looks like he's solved our tendency to get absolutely humped once a month instilled by the pardew-carver axis of toilet. He's absolutely not a world beater but he's respectable and seems to be trying to make the club respectable. I have time for him.

Very much my view, Hopefully he will have enough to keep us up this season, then really it will be all down to him and his staff how well we go next Season.. We do look at better team now than 12 months ago with caver and stone in charge.

I think, for now at least, it looks like he's solved our tendency to get absolutely humped once a month instilled by the pardew-carver axis of toilet. He's absolutely not a world beater but he's respectable and seems to be trying to make the club respectable. I have time for him.

Yup. Think persisting with the same team over and over has a lot to do with this, too.

Looks more and more like McClaren was trying to 'make do' until the players of the profile he wanted arrived. To Pardew, people like Ben Arfa or risk-takers were a hindrance whereas I genuinely think he wants a game plan which involves skilful players, power down the wing, someone who'll go for the 50-60 yard pass to create a chance. I think we'll get there.

It's also exciting looking at the ages of our key players. Perez 22, Mitrovic 21, Shelvey 23, Wijnaldum 25, Sissoko 26, Mbemba 21, Janmaat 26. That core group could in theory be our main men for the next 3-4 years and beyond in most cases. Get this season out of the way and still in this league playing like this and there's plenty to have optimism for.

Agree with this. Also for the first time in years it seems the 'Head Coach' has a say in (a) who we sign and (b) who is not good enough and needs to be shipped out.

Think he's starting to get us playing that more possession football, not all the way there yet and it's taken a hell of a lot of time. Was assuming we wouldn't spend in the window and we'd sack him in February, but hes being backed in this window so he'll see out the season I suspect

Too early to make a judgement yet, two good performances and finally a result with better football on the back of making a couple of decent signings. Credit where it's due though, we are playing better football now and we are creating chances. I just can't get past Colback and Anita being picked for every game, the late substitutes after the game has gone flat. I'm willing to #Wait now he has his own players and some options and as long as the results keep coming he deserves more time to mould this team.

Yesterday was promising, I'm just not setting myself up for a false dawn and my usual bipolar support.

Guest Howaythetoon

It's also exciting looking at the ages of our key players. Perez 22, Mitrovic 21, Shelvey 23, Wijnaldum 25, Sissoko 26, Mbemba 21, Janmaat 26. That core group could in theory be our main men for the next 3-4 years and beyond in most cases. Get this season out of the way and still in this league playing like this and there's plenty to have optimism for.

Not so long back we had Debuchy, Mbwia, Santon, Cabaye, HBA, Ba, Remy, Cisse et al... we can never be excited at Newcastle while Ashley owns us and we should never ever get too attached to a player because most of our players are bought to sell on at a profit.

Guest Howaythetoon

Some of the stuff we produced against WHU was as good as we have played since KK was here in his second stint which is the best football we have played since... err Roader as caretaker. He might stand a chance if we start signing players suited to how he wants to play. In Shelvey for example we have a player who can pop the ball about, see a pass and can dictate play which is something we need if we want to play a possession type game.

Remy was never ours, Debuchy was properly replaced, Ba had the clause, Cabaye was always going to try it out at a bigger club to us, while Mbiwa, Santon & Ben Arfa can all be put down to being 'Pardewed' imo.

I think it's more the willingness to sell he's getting at.

Sissoko is still here (for now), we didn't let Perez go to Spurs...

If a massive bid comes in for a player we'll always sell, but that applies to everyone bar the elite 3 or 4 clubs in world football. As long as we're going to replace them correctly now if this does happen, which the last 6 months worth of transfers are pointing towards, then I can live with that. It's if we return to flogging Cabaye and replacing him with Colback that will be the acid test if things really have changed.

Guest Howaythetoon

Remy was never ours, Debuchy was properly replaced, Ba had the clause, Cabaye was always going to try it out at a bigger club to us, while Mbiwa, Santon & Ben Arfa can all be put down to being 'Pardewed' imo.

All talented players we brought to the club who are either now not here or may as well not be (Cisse). How anyone can be excited as a NUFC supporter is beyond me. We are in a relegation fight and may well go down. Even if we don't, our best players will either be sold or want away sooner rather than later. If we were to genuinely try and mould a team for the long-term from this lot then yes, but even then we would still need a change of manager and a big change at that.

There's just one big problem.

Probably in the region of £150,000,000 actually.

If a massive bid comes in for a player we'll always sell, but that applies to everyone bar the elite 3 or 4 clubs in world football. As long as we're going to replace them correctly now if this does happen, which the last 6 months worth of transfers are pointing towards, then I can live with that. It's if we return to flogging Cabaye and replacing him with Colback that will be the acid test if things really have changed.

Everton rejected £20m, £26m and £30m for John Stones in the summer and turned down his transfer request. He still plays in their first team and is doing well. Even if you used to believe that 'normal' clubs never had a choice but to sell, the ridiculous TV money no longer means clubs have to bend over backwards for those at the top.

My thoughts exactly the team that wins the premier league next year won't be the team that spends the most it will be the team that has the best manager

Everton rejected £20m, £26m and £30m for John Stones in the summer and turned down his transfer request. He still plays in their first team and is doing well. Even if you used to believe that 'normal' clubs never had a choice but to sell, the ridiculous TV money no longer means clubs have to bend over backwards for those at the top.

That's a fair point. :thup:

£30m is hardly 'huge' though for what he's going to be.

Some of the stuff we produced against WHU was as good as we have played since KK was here in his second stint which is the best football we have played since... err Roader as caretaker. He might stand a chance if we start signing players suited to how he wants to play. In Shelvey for example we have a player who can pop the ball about, see a pass and can dictate play which is something we need if we want to play a possession type game.

I'm not sure that it's down to him or just the quality of the players we are signing. Wijnaldum, Perez and Jonjo are just good footballers who play football the right way. Graham Carr was getting flak on here for signing too many players unsuited to the premier which was justified to some degree, but from a technique perspective some of our best football comes from those signings. What I will say is that the football we saw yesterday could never have been produced in a million years by a long ball merchant like Pardew.

I'm not sure that it's down to him or just the quality of the players we are signing. Wijnaldum, Perez and Jonjo are just good footballers who play football the right way. Graham Carr was getting flak on here for signing too many players unsuited to the premier which was justified to some degree, but from a technique perspective some of our best football comes from those signings. What I will say is that the football we saw yesterday could never have been produced in a million years by a long ball merchant like Pardew.

It's a mixture of both. You need the players to execute the gameplan. That first goal was a smashing team effort and Shelvey said it was something they were instructed to practise in the warm up. McClaren was much more astute in his post-match interview, talking about the importance of a passer like Shelvey opening a defence and tempo being key. I'm sure he knows the formula, he's just not had all the tools for it. We'll see where it goes from here.

It's definitely down to him like, not that there aren't many other managers out there that could get us playing like this, but we've lucked out a bit as Ashley would have seen no difference in him and the likes of Pulis. I do still dream of the day Mike leaves and we splash out on a handsome lad from the continent.

We'll get fuck all for Anita, may as well convert him into a full time right back. Bit of scrimping.