Steve McClaren

Dave

You need someone with experience, someone with a proven track record for handling big egos and someone with some tactical nous. McClaren was wrong for many reasons but one main reason was he wasn't man enough to tell Fatty Frankie to park his fat arse on the bench. Sven failed because he became big pals with Becks. You need someone detached from all that plus all the attributes I listed in the first sentence. Someone like Capello would produce the most boring football but you would win, however, would that be enough for the many fickle fans who seem to outnumber the more rational ones? I'd actually like to nominate someone like Houllier but he'd fail for the same reasons that Capello would, which is incidentally also partially a reason that Sven failed. I think Mourinho would as well (fail in that same way) but he's loved by the media so he'll get that benefit of the doubt that most other managers wouldn't.

Edit: But honestly, there's not many managers out there that would make England successful. The problem is deep-rooted and will take a while until sustained success can be achieved. Anything that happens now will be one-offs because the players just aren't suited to the international game.

Capello should be the choice.  He's the only one with the qualifications that's come out and said he wants it.  Normally, it would be a pretty desperate tactic, but clearly the best way to get what you want with the FA is the media, and he's done just that.  Nobody better will be interested in the job.

Capello had Roma playing good stuff when they won Serie A btw. He's a pragmatist with a wealth of experience who also knows how to handle big egos. He's easily the best person who seems to want the job.

Guest Redcar Mag

Capello had Roma playing good stuff when they won Serie A btw. He's a pragmatist with a wealth of experience who also knows how to handle big egos. He's easily the best person who seems to want the job.

He'd need to learn English first, other than that, impressive c.v

Yes. An England manager who can't speak english is surely not an option. At the age of 61, will he be able to learn a new language? Bearing in mind most people of that age can't learn to use a mobile phone, program a video etc?

Yes. An England manager who can't speak english is surely not an option. At the age of 61, will he be able to learn a new language? Bearing in mind most people of that age can't learn to use a mobile phone, program a video etc?

Yes.  He'd probably spend all his time down the supermarket too or the doctors.  Pulling a tartan shopping trolley behind him.  Counting out his money in pennies.  Old people, eh?  Fucking useless.

You need someone with experience, someone with a proven track record for handling big egos and someone with some tactical nous. McClaren was wrong for many reasons but one main reason was he wasn't man enough to tell Fatty Frankie to park his fat arse on the bench. Sven failed because he became big pals with Becks. You need someone detached from all that plus all the attributes I listed in the first sentence. Someone like Capello would produce the most boring football but you would win, however, would that be enough for the many fickle fans who seem to outnumber the more rational ones? I'd actually like to nominate someone like Houllier but he'd fail for the same reasons that Capello would, which is incidentally also partially a reason that Sven failed. I think Mourinho would as well (fail in that same way) but he's loved by the media so he'll get that benefit of the doubt that most other managers wouldn't.

Edit: But honestly, there's not many managers out there that would make England successful. The problem is deep-rooted and will take a while until sustained success can be achieved. Anything that happens now will be one-offs because the players just aren't suited to the international game.

i was thinking about houllier yesterday, i think we could do a lot worse than appointing him as technical director of the FA. he was the first boss for the french academy system at clairefontaine, helped develop its principles and outlook and 10 years later the frogs were world champions.

• 8 months later...

Champions League draw - FC Twente Vs Arsenal :lol:

Excellent. Now the man who should have had the England job can give a lesson or two to the man who never should have:aww:

Yeah, hoped he'd been given the push but I quess that was too much to expect when he's only had the job for 5 minutes. Still, not beyond the realms of possibility, this is McClaren we're talking about here!

UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Third qualifying round draw:

Anorthosis/Rapid Vienna v Olympiakos

Vitoria Guimaraes v IFK Gothenburg/Basel

Shakhtar Donetsk v Domzale/Dinamo Zagreb

Schalke 04 v Atletico Madrid

Aalborg/Modrica v RANGERS/Kaunas

Barcelona v Beitar Jerusalem/Wisla Krakow

Levski Sofia v Anderlecht/BATE

Standard Liege v LIVERPOOL

Inter Baku/Partizan v Fenerbahce/MTK Budapest

FC Twente v ARSENAL

Spartak Moscow v Drogheda/Dinamo Kiev

Juventus v Tampere/Artmedia

SK Brann/Ventspils v Marseille

Fiorentina v Slavia Prague

Galatasaray v Steaua Bucharest

Panathinaikos/Dinamo Tbilisi v Sheriff Tiraspol/Sparta Prague

Assuming Drogheda don't cause an upset, that looks like a tasty game between Spartak Moscow and Dinamo Kiev.

Where are BATE from?

http://www.fcbate.by/bate.php?lang=en

Champions of Belarus apparently, I have no idea why they are in Caps on that list, I just cut and paste it from the BBC.

Cos it's an abbreviation innit; like AEK from Greece or FH from Iceland.

Cheers, i had never heard of them before. Even in Football Manager. Hope they dont merge with a team called MASTER

• 6 years later...

Tyne time for McClaren

The suggestions that Steve McClaren may take over as Newcastle United manager next season have begun to re-surface. McClaren is desperately trying to secure Derby County's return to the top-flight but it does appear possible that even if Derby do not make it into the Premier League then he just might.

Newcastle have put John Carver in charge until the end of the season when they will decide who to appoint as their next permanent head coach. McClaren is admired by many clubs despite Derby's wobble and may have more than one option if he decides to leave. For the record of course McClaren made it clear in January that he was committed to winning promotion with Derby. "I am going nowhere," he said. "I don't want to let people down. I love working here."

If Derby do not want to go up then naturally he and the club may want to re-appraise that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-ham/11487600/Allardyce-faces-West-Ham-United-chop-in-face-of-Sunderland-interest.html