Steve McClaren

Dave

Guest Gino14

McLaren is a cut above Pardew and he's a Fillet Steak compared to the ground offal of Carver.  It's a sad indictment of how the club is under Ashley that it's the best we can hope for though.  He's a manager with arguably the best squad in the Championship and he may be on course to fail at getting them promotion for a second year in a row.

I see no reason why Derby 'should' be finishing in the top two. I cannot fathom why so many people seem here to think they up there in spite of McClaren, rather because of him. In the five years prior to McClaren joining Derby they finished 18th, 14th, 19th, 12th and 10th. They were nowhere near promotion when he went there and are now on course for a second consecutive playoff campaign. By any metric he has done a great job.

I respect McLaren as a decent manager, not a great one.  Often in the Championship that is more than enough, because a lot of the time the other managers are completely awful when measuring to any higher standard.  Wigan and Fulham for example have struggled massively due to not appointing the right people at the right time.  Middlesbrough for example were also doing nothing for ages and appointing Karanka has put them in with a shot at promotion.  It seems to happen a lot in the championship, where appointing a competent manager leads to much better things.

I'm not saying McLaren has done a bad job there, he's done reasonably well.  Let's not forget Sean Dyche and Nigel Pearson are among the recently promoted managers who don't have great squads.  I doubt anyone would be clamouring for them to be manager here.

If McLaren was to be appointed I'd be relatively okay with it and back him, because he's so many levels above what we've had.  He's no great miracle worker though and he'd probably have less resources, relative to the time than he actually had at Middlesbrough.  People forget the kind of players Middlesbrough would sign and the money they'd spend in the premier league.  It's relatively a lot more than we spend now at Newcastle.

I don't think Derby's squad is particularly great, either. There's a few like Will Hughes, Chris Martin and Tom Ince - Ibe was good whilst on loan - but maybe they were overachieving before this poor form kicked in.

McLaren is a cut above Pardew and he's a Fillet Steak compared to the ground offal of Carver.  It's a sad indictment of how the club is under Ashley that it's the best we can hope for though.  He's a manager with arguably the best squad in the Championship and he may be on course to fail at getting them promotion for a second year in a row.

I see no reason why Derby 'should' be finishing in the top two. I cannot fathom why so many people seem here to think they up there in spite of McClaren, rather because of him. In the five years prior to McClaren joining Derby they finished 18th, 14th, 19th, 12th and 10th. They were nowhere near promotion when he went there and are now on course for a second consecutive playoff campaign. By any metric he has done a great job.

I respect McLaren as a decent manager, not a great one.  Often in the Championship that is more than enough, because a lot of the time the other managers are completely awful when measuring to any higher standard.  Wigan and Fulham for example have struggled massively due to not appointing the right people at the right time.  Middlesbrough for example were also doing nothing for ages and appointing Karanka has put them in with a shot at promotion.  It seems to happen a lot in the championship, where appointing a competent manager leads to much better things.

I'm not saying McLaren has done a bad job there, he's done reasonably well.  Let's not forget Sean Dyche and Nigel Pearson are among the recently promoted managers who don't have great squads.  I doubt anyone would be clamouring for them to be manager here.

If McLaren was to be appointed I'd be relatively okay with it and back him, because he's so many levels above what we've had.  He's no great miracle worker though and he'd probably have less resources, relative to the time than he actually had at Middlesbrough.  People forget the kind of players Middlesbrough would sign and the money they'd spend in the premier league.  It's relatively a lot more than we spend now at Newcastle.

Would have Dyche here in an instant.

May I just say that McClaren strikes me as a particularly dour, ruddy faced yet passionless, belly to the ground chameleon of a man, whose interviews would grate beyond measure and would neither inspire nor instill any sort of confidence in the club for the term of his tenure and beyond. He can fuck off.

McClaren out.

/Opinion valid up until the point he is appointed, at which point I will of course give him a clean slate *cough*.

Guest Gino14

Would have Dyche here in an instant.

Probably better than anyone we would ever end up with under Ashley, but not someone we should be aspiring to really.  In these circumstances, I'd also have him in an instant though.

McLaren hasn't done anything at Derby, Mick McCarthy hasn't done 3 times in the Championship.

What about England? I doubt Wolfsburg's setup was any worse than ours. 3 years later they've got a fantastic team challenging right up there on multiple fronts.

McLaren over Bilic? Are you having a laugh? ffs.

McLaren hasn't done anything at Derby, Mick McCarthy hasn't done 3 times in the Championship.

What about England? I doubt Wolfsburg's setup was any worse than ours. 3 years later they've got a fantastic team challenging right up there on multiple fronts.

Bilic did a good job overall at Croatia (despite failing to even make the 2010 WC play offs) but was the worst Lokomotiv Moscow manager since the USSR collapsed. He's doing OK at Besiktas but I don't why you seem to consider him to be unquestionably better than McClaren.

Guest Incandenza

England isn't a club job and the sample size is small. Likewise he was only at Wolfsburg 6 months and it was a new country. Clearly neither of these give a fair representation of a club-level head coach. Bilic's career doesn't measure to McClaren at all. He is overrated because of his charisma.

Guest Gino14

What is McLaren's transfer record like?  I'm asking because I don't know and don't remember if it's good or bad in any particular way.

His best times were at Boro according to some, so who did he buy and who did he let go of while there?

Edit: A quick Google search brought me this:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mcclaren-branded-reckless-for-his-boro-buys-640654

A bit worrying really, although he'd not have that control here.

Could also do a lot worse, which is what it's came to with this fat evil moron running the show.

I don't want McClaren like, we should be appointing a foreign manager for various reasons. Obviously not just any foreign manager.

Guest Incandenza

McClaren's a 5/10 manager more likely to get us relegated than into European contention. Can do so much better.

Sorry, but this just strikes me as small-minded sensationalism.

McClaren's a 5/10 manager more likely to get us relegated than into European contention. Can do so much better.

You can't out-Ronaldo Ronaldo, so you'll have to explain. Only he's allowed to make posts like that and even then it's marginal.

Guest Incandenza

Describing McClaren as a 5/10 manager is absurd. He has a better CV than Garde, Galtier and Bilic combined.

Having a sulk over us being linked to McClaren because you wanted Tuchel or Benitez is also absurd because we had no chance of getting either.

Or common sense that some don't want to hear. Is he a better option that Kinnear, Pardew and Carver? Yes. But that's hardly an endorsement.

He has a better CV than Garde, Galtier and Bilic combined.

So had/has Graeme Souness. I don't even know who you are, bugger off and stop wasting my time.

What is McLaren's transfer record like?  I'm asking because I don't know and don't remember if it's good or bad in any particular way.

His best times were at Boro according to some, so who did he buy and who did he let go of while there?

Edit: A quick Google search brought me this:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mcclaren-branded-reckless-for-his-boro-buys-640654

A bit worrying really, although he'd not have that control here.

"Southgate, George Boateng, Aiyegbeni Yakubu and Mark Viduka who all proved themselves important players."

The mid-2000's versions of these players would all walk into NUFC's side. It should also be noted that the next manager used similar funds to buy the likes Woodgate, Afonso Alves, and Mido while also leading Bror to a relegation from which it is yet to recover.

Anyway, I am a fan of Mclaren. He is one of my favourite English managers, though the competition level is fairly low. With a decent squad of players, I would trust him to achieve consistently satisfactory results, without insulting the intelligence of every single supporter repeatedly. It would be a good appointment, given the circumstances, imo.

Guest Incandenza

Its common sense that a former England manager who relatively recently won a league title is shit?

Or common sense that some don't want to hear. Is he a better option that Kinnear, Pardew and Carver? Yes. But that's hardly an endorsement.

I don't even know who you are, bugger off and stop wasting my time.

:lol:

He's a totally uninspiring choice given the names that have been mentioned the past few months. But the bar also couldn't be set any lower than it is now, and McClaren doesn't come across as either an asshole or an idiot and does have a reputation as a decent coach.

At this point I'd take any manager who could make our players look like an actual football team and not insult the fans with blatant lies and moronic comments.

Guest Incandenza

He isn't. Souness' league cup win with Blackburn eclipses anything McClaren's achieved, also.

You think winning the league cup with Blackburn eclipse winning the Eredevisie with Twente?