Steve McClaren

Dave

Guest YonderStar

Ashley would be totally devastated at Pardew leaving, he was the ultimate puppet/yesman who never complained and defended him up to the hilt and all of this for around £1m a year, this talk of McLaren is hogwash, even he is not daft enough to work under Ashley and Charnley's restrictions, we will end up with Carver or some other incompetent gobshite with the same zero integrity as Pardew.  :dave:

How much is each league position worth now? We reportedly got 3.5m for Pardew, there's a very strong chance him pissing about and not getting a manager will end up costing that in league places alone, if not more :lol:

Useless cunt.

That would be NUFC's loss, not Ashley's. He won't give a shit.

I don't think Ashley was particularly fond of Pardew though. IMO he would've sacked him when we finished 16th if it weren't for that silly 8 year deal. So he sacked Llambias instead for giving him such a long contract

I'm fairly sure MA was complicit in the 8 year contract.

Nobody farts in that place without MA knowing about it.

This has been in pretty much every main paper now. There has to be something in it.

I've always been of the opinion that they'd go for Charver but the volume on the McClaren talk is not getting any quieter.

We could do FAR better than McClaren, but he's better than Pardew, better than Carver and actually quite likeable. He can work within the structure too. NUFC could attract some quality managers but that just won't happen under Ashley, so I can accept Sccccchteve. I just hope it's more Twente/Boro than Wolfsburg/Forest.

Guest YonderStar

We could do FAR better than McClaren, but he's better than Pardew, better than Carver and actually quite likeable. He can work within the structure too. NUFC could attract some quality managers but that just won't happen under Ashley, so I can accept Sccccchteve. I just hope it's more Twente/Boro than Wolfsburg/Forest.

Would he work within he structure though, and why would he want to? he must have sat and watched Pardew over the last few years try and blame everyone and anything else except Ashley when things went wrong when it's clear that it's Ashley's refusal to significantly invest in the squad which has held us back, and nothing is gonna change, Why would he want to manage a club where the cups and finishing in the top six are not a priority? I would be happy with Shteeeve as our new head coach, but I'm trying to see it from his persepective.

What is Mclaren like with the academy?

Brought through:

Ross Turnbull

Brad Jones

David Wheater

Luke Wilkshire

Stewart Downing

Adam Johnson

Lee Cattermole

James Morrison

Danny Graham

That's off the top of my head.

Not bad for NE standards.

Would he work within he structure though, and why would he want to? he must have sat and watched Pardew over the last few years try and blame everyone and anything else except Ashley when things went wrong when it's clear that it's Ashley's refusal to significantly invest in the squad which has held us back, and nothing is gonna change, Why would he want to manage a club where the cups and finishing in the top six are not a priority? I would be happy with Shteeeve as our new head coach, but I'm trying to see it from his persepective.

We'd be the first Premiership club to show an interest since he left Middlesbrough.

Guest chopey

Given our recent history with managers,I certainly wouldn't be disappointed with McClaren.

At least "former England manager" has a nice ring to it.

The same can be said about Howard Wilkinson

Guest Incandenza

Pardew was given a lot of time and a lot of good international players. I think the received wisdom that no good manager would want the job is not true. A lot of managers would have envied Pardew's privileged position.

We'd be the first Premiership club to show an interest since he left Middlesbrough.

Villa and West Ham have both held talks with him in the past, only to back out due to supporter backlash.

Guest Howaythetoon

I've been working in Derby recently and a few of their fans that I've talked to seem convinced he's on his way here next season, regardless of what happens RE promotion. He's liked it would appear, but I got the impression his departure wouldn't be met with mass disappointment. I can't say I've seen Derby play, but some of their fans say the football is pleasing, but they could be much better in the final 3rd, lots of possession football. I got the impression they wanted a more direct style actually. I rate him as a coach and think he would be an OK or reasonable appointment, but to really progress in terms of football and player development we  should be aiming higher like.

I've been working in Derby recently and a few of their fans that I've talked to seem convinced he's on his way here next season, regardless of what happens RE promotion. He's liked it would appear, but I got the impression his departure wouldn't be met with mass disappointment. I can't say I've seen Derby play, but some of their fans say the football is pleasing, but they could be much better in the final 3rd, lots of possession football. I got the impression they wanted a more direct style actually. I rate him as a coach and think he would be an OK or reasonable appointment, but to really progress in terms of football and player development we  should be aiming higher like.

:thup:

Guest YonderStar

Pardew was given a lot of time and a lot of good international players. I think the received wisdom that no good manager would want the job is not true. A lot of managers would have envied Pardew's privileged position.

What you mean working for peanuts?, defending Ashley to the hilt,? having no say on transfers? and also what you are forgetting is once we had injuries to our "purples" the squad was so wafer thin that we had no decent replacements, and at times it was the same when players were sold and not replaced. So therefore the majority of managers would definitely not envy Pardew's position because as soon as we got a few injuries or suspensions he was basically hung out to dry, while Ashley soaked up the rays in Barbados.

I cannot foresee any manager worth his salt agreeing to work under Ashley and Charnley, I will believe it only when I see Shteeve holding a toon top in the SDA, (and speaking in a half dutch half geordie accent)